SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree removal - I don't understand these prices. - Question Pg. 3 - Saving a round. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Got three estimates. $2k in difference.

Est #1 $4,000.

Est #2 $3,500.

Est #3 $2,200.

Estimate #1 was a guy driving around giving estimates to anyone who would talk to him.

Estimate #2 a neighbor that I had fixed his A/C and a couple other electrical problems for and charged him for $50, parts, and beer. Probably $400 worth of work.

Estimate #3 was recommended to me by a buddy and has done work both for him and his neighbor who owns lawnmower shop and services their equip. This price also includes topping the first 3' of a maple that doesn't look healthy and inspecting for rot, but removal if needed would be extra.

I can't believe the range in prices. The last one has stellar reviews online. 4.8-4.9 stars with nearly fifty reviews on HomeAdvisor alone. Signed the contract the second he gave me the price. Getting it down Friday if weather allows.

All three covered removal of all debris and stump grinding on a 4'+ round stump. The last one included the check on the Maple that looks like it's got some rot on top. No clue how tall it is but I'm sure it's at least 60'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal.
That's why it's a good idea to get several estimates.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did well! The service-provider pricing in Northern Virginia is typically high, higher, and down-right obscene. When I moved into to my house, I had about a dozen too close for comfort trees taken down, and stumps ground up.
I had a recommendation from my General Contractor, and still paid a high price in four figures! The first number being "only" being a 3!

Your estimate from contractor 1, was on the down-right obscene side of the scale, but people pay those prices - otherwise why would he waste his breath. Probably plays the sales game of - one sucker - out of every 20 pitches makes it worth while.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately have too much experience with tree removal. Supply and demand drives prices. Other factors have to do with workers compensation and insurance issues.

The last time I got a referral from a neighbor who is also a pastor. I stipulated that there would be no heavy equipment, the stumps would be ground, sawdust removed and the holes filled with topsoil. He did a great job. The yard was fine and not trashed.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone going door to door giving "free estimates" for anything is always the most expensive. They are looking for people who have done no research and just jump at the offer. Also consider that a guy operating out of his pickup is likely using illegal day laborers he found in a 7-Eleven parking lot. Both these types of operators are just pulling numbers out of their head based on what they think you will pay. Real companies on the other hand have to build in the cost of equipment, insurance, and paying taxes.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insurance is the biggest reason.

My guess is estimate 1 is a properly insured company, estimate 2 is the same but he's giving you a deal and estimate 3 is a guy who does it on the side.

I've gotten multiple quotes from various tree people in the few years we've been here. All the expensive ones are well insured companies and all the cheap ones weren't.

Tree service is the highest risk of contractor work right up there with roofers.

Any accidents that occur are going to be on your home owners policy if they don't have the proper insurance.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The first two may be hacks who cannot get steady work, so they have make all they can on any job they can get. The latter guy may have his shit squared away and always have work. In some trades that are limited in specialty, this can be the case.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
By the looks of that tree, it location to buildings and possibly lack of easy access to it I would say 2,200 is a good price. Make sure they show you proof of insurance and bonding.

The 4,000 quote might be: there is no way in hell I would cut that tree down, but if you pay me my bid I will work around my attitude price.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

My guess is estimate 1 is a properly insured company, estimate 2 is the same but he's giving you a deal and estimate 3 is a guy who does it on the side.

I've gotten multiple quotes from various tree people in the few years we've been here. All the expensive ones are well insured companies and all the cheap ones weren't.

Tree service is the highest risk of contractor work right up there with roofers.

Any accidents that occur are going to be on your home owners policy if they don't have the proper insurance.

The above may or may not be the case, but the salient point is INSURANCE!

I wouldn't let a tree-trimmer set foot on my property without proof of hefty liability coverage.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Man! That sounds high. I normally do my own, but when I was laid up, we needed an oak about like yours taken down. Two Hispanics that worked for a tree removal company took it down piece by piece on their day off for $400. Friends with fireplaces and a log splitter hauled off the cut to length firewood.
Look around, I bet there are a couple of guys out there that do that kind of work that would jump at the chance to make some extra cash.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Man! That sounds high. I normally do my own, but when I was laid up, we needed an oak about like yours taken down. Two Hispanics that worked for a tree removal company took it down piece by piece on their day off for $400. Friends with fireplaces and a log splitter hauled off the cut to length firewood.
Look around, I bet there are a couple of guys out there that do that kind of work that would jump at the chance to make some extra cash.

I'll stick to licensed companies. I don't hire people to do work on the side. I am a tradesman, people doing work on the side hurts me. It makes it harder for the company that I work for to get customers because they just figure they can go to Julio and Juan at 7-11 and get it for half price. We on the other hand have to pay for lability, workman's comp and licensing. Good luck finding Julio and Juan if something goes wrong, they will just move to different 7-11 and you'll never see them again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

The above may or may not be the case, but the salient point is INSURANCE!

I wouldn't let a tree-trimmer set foot on my property without proof of hefty liability coverage.

#3 is the only one who provided me with a certificate of insurance and I verified his license was active online.

Go figure, cheapest one is most legit possibly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I get this all the time from callers. So and so is quoting less.

I'm properly insured. They aren't. I have properly trained, experienced, and background checked employees. They don't. I have properly licensed trucks. They don't. I have all of the proper equipment. They don't.

But.....why are you charging more? Can you match their price?

I would not only check the insurance, but also check to make sure you're dealing with a properly licensed outfit. Check liability AND work comp policies.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I got laid off, my buddy and I did that as a side job.

Gave an estimate to a Dr., Did not get the job. I gave him a low estimate because it would have been easy to remove even though he was in a neighbor hood.
A close friend of mine told me he did not give me the job because I was too low.

I was not insured or bonded, but when in several times and cleaned up the mess somebody else had started, screwed up and left in a hurry.

Good luck on your job. Hope you are satisfied when they are done.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Seems very high. The last tree I had taken down ran about $300. Granted it was not quite as big as the one pictured and it was about 6 years ago.

I've got a fairly large one I'm considering taking down as it rub against my fence, overhangs the house and shades a lot of my lawn causing it to die out. I'm getting estimates next week and I'll post back what they say. Also, I don't use "Chuck with a Truck Tree Removal" Only licensed professional tree companies.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I don't see the problem. Take ur saw, cut a notch in the front of that thing and let er rip tater chip. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'll do it for free if I don't have to clean up, pay for damage or deal with the stump....Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems very high. The last tree I had taken down ran about $300. Granted it was not quite as big as the one pictured and it was about 6 years ago.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow. The going rate here is much higher. We are talking in the thousands for tall pine trees. Extra if there are buildings close by. Even in the late 70s I was paying a lot more than that. You got a really good deal. Post pics and the prices when you get your estimate.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
... workers compensation and insurance issue. ...
Yes, it's dangerous and litigious work. My cousin had a tree removed and one of their safety wires broke and whipped the top of one of the young workers skull in half. Instant dead guy in his lawn.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now is the best time to get it done. In a few weeks when the weather gets warmer the prices will go up. Prices are even crazy high after a major storm as you do not have a choice and are stuck needing to get it cut down or removed. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post