SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    British doctor who found a way to talk to patients trapped between life and death
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British doctor who found a way to talk to patients trapped between life and death Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hea...?ito=social-facebook

An amazing discovery, but where from here?

This year I had to convince my step-mom to "turn my dad off" after a major stroke. I know two things for a fact, that he would not want to live as a veg, and that if I had been able to communicate with him, he was too afraid to die to give the okay.

An interesting future can-of-legal worms this potentially brings up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's incredible.

A patient 'could' live a meaningful life even though we only see them as laying motionless in a bed.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
If my "meaningful" life consists of being fed intravenously while lying in bed watching t.v. unable to communicate with a loved one then just let me die.

Better yet, please kill me.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
If my "meaningful" life consists of being fed intravenously while lying in bed watching t.v. unable to communicate with a loved one then just let me die.

Indeed. Just hand the M240 Incinerator Unit over to Sergeant Apone and let him go to town on me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Or, if forced to listen to Celine Dion records, please kill me! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
That's not living.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There's a point in here. If they are conscious, still mentally functional, and can be communicated with, they could be asked to make the decision, not have someone make it for them and/or be forced to make the decision beforehand (thinking living will.)

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It may not be living, but it is an important discovery related to persistent vegetative states.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
There's a point in here. If they are conscious, still mentally functional, and can be communicated with, they could be asked to make the decision, not have someone make it for them and/or be forced to make the decision beforehand (thinking living will.)

quote:

Yes I can see it now, DNR's being widely overturned based on the level of oxygen being used by comatose patients' brains, coming to a theater near you. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Give me a hot shot of morphine, and let me check out, please.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Let's say the FMRI technique could be used to ask yes or no questions to the patient in question. Based on the article, I could easily see this is possible.

A psychologist could come up with an array of these questions that could determine if the patient was alert and aware of their situation. If the patient passed this battery of tests, and was then asked something like "given your physical state, and the likely hood, or lack thereof of recovery, do you want to be kept alive", would you ignore their answer?

quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes I can see it now, DNR's being widely overturned based on the level of oxygen being used by comatose patients' brains, coming to a theater near you. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I explained my desire to my daughter this way: "If I am in a coma with no likelihood of recovery, I want you to take steps to end my life. If you don't, when I die I will haunt you."

Her response was "Pull the plug. Got it."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's say the FMRI technique could be used to ask yes or no questions to the patient in question. Based on the article, I could easily see this is possible.

A psychologist could come up with an array of these questions that could determine if the patient was alert and aware of their situation. If the patient passed this battery of tests, and was then asked something like "given your physical state, and the likely hood, or lack thereof of recovery, do you want to be kept alive", would you ignore their answer?

quote:
quote:

quote:

Sure sure, I see. It'll go something like this:

Dr. Stinkmeyer: Soon to be widow Mrs Jones, your husband indicates that he likes playing tennis, he wishes to have a DNR, and desires to leave his entire estate to Our Lady of Incredulous Constipation Hospital. What time tomorrow would you like us to pull the plug?"

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I always wondered if a person in a vegetative state, with any level of awareness, wouldn't just go insane.....Celine Dion or no Celine Dion.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Ever read Johnny Got His Gun?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Or see the movie. Very good.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I think this is awesome!

We now have confirmation that, in fact, some vegetative patients are "still there." Hopefully this leads to research and advances in the realm of bringing them back. It certainly makes the case that it's worth spending precious research dollars on the effort.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
GREAT book! Never saw the movie.

quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Or see the movie. Very good.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Amazing if true.

It's not hard to believe that some folks who appear to have checked out - haven't - yet, but that our detection abilities simply haven't/hadn't yet matured enough to know the difference. We (modern science and medicine) barely understand the brain as it is.

We're smart creatures, and have accomplished a ton in the last few hundred years as far as science and medicine and knowledge of the human brain and body goes, but we don't know it all, and as advanced as we are - we're but a few steps down the path of humanity.

Barely 2500 years have passed since Plato, seems long but isn't, roughly 75 generations of reason. No matter what you believe with respect to the origin us, if you believe in any degree of evolution - 75 iterations aren't a lot, which is to say - we're just getting started...

If only we'd be around long enough to see what happens in the next 2500 years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Amazing if true.

It's not hard to believe that some folks who appear to have checked out - haven't - yet, but that our detection abilities simply haven't/hadn't yet matured enough to know the difference. We (modern science and medicine) barely understand the brain as it is.

We're smart creatures, and have accomplished a ton in the last few hundred years as far as science and medicine and knowledge of the human brain and body goes, but we don't know it all, and as advanced as we are - we're but a few steps down the path of humanity.

Barely 2500 years have passed since Plato, seems long but isn't, roughly 75 generations of reason. No matter what you believe with respect to the origin us, if you believe in any degree of evolution - 75 iterations aren't a lot, which is to say - we're just getting started...

If only we'd be around long enough to see what happens in the next 2500 years.

Very well-said.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post