SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2006 Explorer Limp Home mode question, For SF Fordies.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Explorer Limp Home mode question, For SF Fordies. Login/Join 
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted
Got off the freeway after a shopping trip last night, and as I pulled up to stop on the off ramp, got the Prestone cloud of death billowing up from under the hood. Got to a safe space to park and called AAA. Started running a little under-powered and rough just before I parked it. The temp gauge never got higher than 3/4 to the top, but I am wondering if I did big-time damage or if that was the limp home mode that saves one from catastrophic damage. According to the mechanic at the garage I had the thing towed to, the fix to the coolant system is going to run around 240 bucks, but in my searches online I have found some talk about the car staying in limp home mode until a reset is done. Any advice or counsel would be greatly appreciated.
Did I kill my Explorer, or what??

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My 05 resets it's self when the sensors read correctly. However, Mine has always been spark plug related.
To unhook the battery for several minutes makes the computer reset.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
My 05 resets it's self when the sensors read correctly. However, Mine has always been spark plug related.
To unhook the battery for several minutes makes the computer reset.

Thanks Havemelor2, that is one of the things I have read on the web. Hopefully the sensors caught it in time and it will reset easily. I'll find out this afternoon, if all goes well at the shop.

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have honestly never heard of a "limp-in" mode on a Ford like that you're describing. Ford vehicles do use a cylinder head temperature (not the same as coolant temperature, that is a different one) sensor as an important input, and the A/C will be disabled and the engine light will come on in case of an overheat. What I fear is that there may be engine damage. An engine can tolerate running hot if coolant is not lost, but if it loses very much for long enough, think of it like boiling a teakettle or coffee pot dry - it warps the metal and they are never the same after that. Finding and repairing the leak(s), if any, and then a full evaluation is in order here.

If the overheat condition turned on the engine light and set/stored codes, clearing them after the repair should be all the "resetting" it needs.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I have honestly never heard of a "limp-in" mode on a Ford like that you're describing. Ford vehicles do use a cylinder head temperature (not the same as coolant temperature, that is a different one) sensor as an important input, and the A/C will be disabled and the engine light will come on in case of an overheat. What I fear is that there may be engine damage. An engine can tolerate running hot if coolant is not lost, but if it loses very much for long enough, think of it like boiling a teakettle or coffee pot dry - it warps the metal and they are never the same after that. Finding and repairing the leak(s), if any, and then a full evaluation is in order here.

If the overheat condition turned on the engine light and set/stored codes, clearing them after the repair should be all the "resetting" it needs.

Yeah, I think the limp home mode may be more transmission related, according to what Ive read online. I do belive there is a fail safe mode that will shut the motor off in the case of a coolant problem. It never went to the top of the temp gauge, and never cut off, so I'm hoping for the best at this point.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"You won't know until you know."

If it's still "limping", unhook the battery for several hours, heck even over night, you've got nothing to lose.

But you really won't know until you know. I over heated a car REAL bad. When it finally cooled, it ran like crap. I found it ran like crap because the vacuum lines, plugs wires and boots all melted. (I didn't even know that was possible short of a fire) After replacing all the vac lines and plug wires, it ran just fine. It smoked a little on start up because the valve guide seals got cooked, but it ran for many years, finally giving up at 189K miles.

On the other hand, I've had one seemingly over heat just a little and it warped the heads, so you just don't know.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Our Crown Vic’s will go into engine protection mode when the engine overheats. Most of the time it’s the radiator fans that have gone tits up. I believe that the engine cuts fuel to half of the cylinders to act as air pumps to help cool the engine. Probably does something like the Cadillac Northstar engine in similar situations.

Fix the problem, clear the codes and back in service.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Many of the Ford modular V8’s have had the limp home mode feature for years.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post