SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Loma Prieta 30 years later: where were you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loma Prieta 30 years later: where were you? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Left Coast detainees: where were you October 17, 1989 @17:04?

I was walking to my acupuncture appointment, when I heard a high-pitched whine coming out of nowhere. I knew what P-waves were, the high-frequency vibrations that travel faster and sometimes precedes a tremor. I said to myself, "We're about to have a bad shaker".

I hunched down in my best horse-riding stance just as the big one hit. I was still nearly thrown to the sidewalk. You know it's bad when you see a sidewalk waving. And a large blocky apartment building swaying. I actually made it to my acupuncture, though it was scary having someone poke you with needles as the ground was shaking.

A fairly strong (4.5) quake hit the Bay Area a few days ago. A gentle reminder from mother nature.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Sitting in a Safeway parking lot. Thought someone was jumping up and down on the bumper of the car until we saw all the other cars bouncing up and down too.

Posts: 3656 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was in my apartment in Boston watching the start of Game 3 of the World Series.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Sitting on the couch, watching TV. I worked 2300-0700 that morning, and just woke up. Power went out, and a second later it "hit."

Was back at work an hour later and didn't come home for two days.

Side note, I became a lifelong Chick-Fil-A fan that week.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
At a voice lesson in Davis near Sacramento.
We got slow swaying, no sharp shaking. Life teacher’s husband was waiting for the Bay bridge series to start; then suddenly the bridge was out.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turned on the TV for the World Series and started dinner as I just got home. Then it started shaking.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was in my apartment in Atlanta, making dinner with my girlfriend, getting ready to watch the World Series.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toilet. In Sacramento and my senior year of high school. Buttoned up and went to the family room to see the 5 o clock news. KCRA 3 had vertical blinds behind Stan Atkinson which were swaying. Looked to the backyard and the pool’s water sloshing around pretty good.

My parents were supposed to fly into Oakland the next day. They were delayed one day and landed in San Jose instead.

I remember the Bay Series becoming trivial with all the devastation in the area.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
At home, waiting to watch the World Series. We visited 2 years later.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I really don't remember, but I may have been preparing to go to the local gun range for an IPSC/USPSA match. I think they were on Tuesday evenings way back then. Since I was here in Dallas, I don't think I gave a lot of thought about the earthquake in California.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I graduated from the Coast Guards EMT course in Petaluma the week before. From what I was told, the next class was sent to SF to help with rescue and lend help in anyway.

Crazy, the military took a normal college class of six months and crammed it into a month, I left with my national certification and was happy to go, it wasa grueling course

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was walking on the sidewalk to go to a corner store to buy some medicine for a cold. Seemed to me that the concrete sidewalk was rolling in a wave before me so I thought I must be sicker than I realized. As I got to the store the glass blew out onto the sidewalk and the owner's liquor bottles flew all over the store. He yelled for everyone to get out. I walked home and two girls came running down from a second floor onto the street, yelling. I thought they were being silly. I turned around and walked home. Then, while inside my home there were after shocks and I understood why the women were freaked out. It sure is different when one is inside.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
the concrete sidewalk was rolling in a wave

That is something weird to see.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was employed at Mare Island Naval Shipyard at that time. I also had a FEMA ID as an emergency responder. We convened the emergency command center which I was a member of. We had employees in the immediate area of the worse damage and it took us some time to confirm they were all okay.

I still have a binder containing the after action reports from federal, state and local agencies involved in the response.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I was driving home from Oakland to San Jose on 880 and on the Mission flyover ramp listening to the pregame broadcast from the toll booth on the Bay Bridge...Then the radio went dead.

I was fiddling with the radio and cut over to the slow lane and I thought to myself that the semi's had rutted the road, but it was the road moving below me.

I still didn't know what was happening. I was pissed the radio went dead. Finally the radio came back on and said we just had an earthquake as I came to an intersection with the lights out and the signal arms swinging up and down big time.

I had no idea how bad it was until I got home about 30 minutes later.

What sucked was the A's got to pitch the 2 best pitchers in baseball for games 1,2,3 and 4 as they swept my Giants Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^How did you cross the Bay with the bridge collapsed?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I stayed home sick from school that day. I was lying on the couch feeling grumpy and waiting for the game to start. House started shaking and rocking and rolling. I thought about getting up and standing in a doorway but I was 15 and invincible, cold aside, and rode out the quake in comfort on the couch. I didn’t think it was that big.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I was employed at Mare Island Naval Shipyard at that time. I also had a FEMA ID as an emergency responder. We convened the emergency command center which I was a member of. We had employees in the immediate area of the worse damage and it took us some time to confirm they were all okay.

I still have a binder containing the after action reports from federal, state and local agencies involved in the response.

My dad worked at Nightmare Island from the mid 70s until it closed. He was home or just about home when the quake hit.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Holiday Inn bar in Albuquerque, visiting Sandia Natl Lab. Boss contacted me to tell me to get next available flight to the Bay area.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Sitting in the living room of my parents house (Arizona), getting ready to watch the game.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post