SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A positive word today for Sirius Radio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A positive word today for Sirius Radio Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Due to all the promotions that were being offered last year I called in regards to getting one of those "deals". At that time I had to threaten to cancel either one or both of our subscriptions to get a rate reduction.

I know that there are options like Pandora but these are not an option around here. Despite that we are midway between Detroit, Lansing, Flint and Ann Arbor and with a population of around 200K there are many dead zones, in fact in those areas cellular calls are dropped with regularity. Not to mention travelling in Northern Michigan, many dead zones there too.

Anyhow,today was the day that I had to call to renew last year's deal. I was pleasantly surprised, last year it took an online session from that I had to phone in and get transferred three times to finally get a break.

Today, probably ten minutes online chat, start to finish, better pricing, couple of bucks off last year's promotional rate for both cars. Completely satisfied today.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got your deal because they are bleeding subscribers. There were several stories in the media earlier in the year about subscribers bailing. I am holding on to my subscription as radio stations up here generally bite. Last time I went to renew, I too had threaten to bail and when they asked why, I just said "Car Play". That cinched my deal. I renew again in October and hope its hassle free.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience yesterday. I calendar this every year for the annual fight over what I’m going to pay. Last year I insisted on their best deal and got it after cancelling for three weeks.

This year they renewed the same deal over chat. Bada boom, no argument. So yeah, I figure they’re losing subscribers. Plus I have two radios.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago a buddy was able to jump on a lifetime subscription (before Sirius and XM merged). $300.

The first radio died and when he tried to transfer the account to a new radio, they tried to say the subscription was for the lifetime of the radio. That was not well received as my buddy just happened to have the original contract on hand to discuss the finer points of reading comprehension.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RE: "Car Play" -Satellite radio seems to be another industry, like pocket cameras, subsumed by the mobile phone. Better customer service and better pricing will help, but, yeah, I think their days are numbered. People can connect to online radio stations, streaming music services, and even play their own music library using the little thing already in their pocket that does almost everything else, too.

Even if one's current car-audio system doesn't support playing content from a phone, the cost of an upgraded system with Bluetooth/audio inputs would be covered in a very short period from the savings from cancelling Sirius.

And then, no deals, no contracts, no 'customer service' at all.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about to cancel because of the DJs & their bullshit. Octane/Turbo/Lithium/Boneyard/Liquid Metal are all pandemic this/racism that. If I switched because of commercial free music, why the fuck do I want to listen to you?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i only use the traffic portion.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain most premium subscription music services like Pandora, Spotify, and Google Play allow you to download entire albums and playlists.

I have Google Play. My subscription also gets me commercial free YouTube. I download "radio stations" and professionally created playlists on WiFi automatically. I never use cellular data for music.

With my streaming subscription, i can use it on my phone wherever I am or at home on my many audio devices, and I don't have to get multiple subscriptions for multiple vehicles. My plan can accommodate up to 5 concurrent users in my household.

The absolute best part is that I can play a specific song on demand if I want to hear it.

Cable Television and Satellite Radio is so incredibly overpriced for what it is.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I'm fairly certain most premium subscription music services like Pandora, Spotify, and Google Play allow you to download entire albums and playlists.

I have Google Play. My subscription also gets me commercial free YouTube. I download "radio stations" and professionally created playlists on WiFi automatically. I never use cellular data for music.

With my streaming subscription, i can use it on my phone wherever I am or at home on my many audio devices, and I don't have to get multiple subscriptions for multiple vehicles. My plan can accommodate up to 5 concurrent users in my household.

The absolute best part is that I can play a specific song on demand if I want to hear it.

Cable Television and Satellite Radio is so incredibly overpriced for what it is.

And if you live in an area where cell service comes and goes and, radio reception is limited to AM radio and farm reports, what then, cassettes?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

And if you live in an area where cell service comes and goes and, radio reception is limited to AM radio and farm reports, what then, cassettes?

I mentioned that you can pre-download or cache music in advance on your home wifi. I have hundreds of hours of music cached on my phone.

Each time I'm on WiFi, the app automatically updates playlists and radio stations. For instance, if you subscribe to a new country music releases "station", your phone will pre download several hours of music so that you can still listen when you don't have cellular signal.

There's also no limit to the number of albums and artists you can download, beyond playlists and "radio stations". I have 10-15 gigs of music from artists I like on my phone all the time.

Aside from live content (news, weather, sports), or exclusive content (Howard Stern), there is no upside to satellite radio. You listen to the same 10-20 channels, each channel has the same 40-50 songs. You can easily just download 10-20 professionally curated playlists, each with 100+ songs and have the same breadth of music as satellite radio.

Add a bunch of free podcasts or audio books, and you can have your fill of people talking too.

The audio quality is also better and you can skip and replay songs.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I still keep SiriusXM radio basically for the ease of use.

I have CarPlay and listen to my iPhone music and podcast options that are plentiful, but...

If you want no commercials (or minimal commercial breaks) and you just want to start up your truck and go, satellite radio is hard to beat. Its use is effortless. Within a few clicks of my finger, I can usually find something I want to listen to. No plugging up my phone, no picking out an artist or playlist, no cellular connection issues. Satellite radio always works.

I also enjoy the anticipation and the excitement of hearing a song I forgot about or a new song that strikes my interest.

The satellite feed has borderline audio at best but it's tolerable.

P.S. - I also listen to SiriusXM on the CarPlay app which has great audio.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My phone connects to my vehicle over Bluetooth automatically.

Music automatically resumes playing most of the time. Most of the time, it's zero fiddling. I start the car and music is playing by the time I have my seatbelt on and the car is in gear. Occasionally, if the app has been completely shut down a(phone restart), then it's one touch to start the app (either the music app itself, or to activate the phone's "driving" mode), and one touch to pick the first recommended station (based on prior listening habits for the time of day and activity).

While driving, it's "Ok Google, play some acoustic pop," or "Hey Google, play Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers."

My steering wheel buttons work to control play/pause, and track forward and back, on all vehicles I've used this on.

Which brings me to my next point: if the music is tied to my phone, then I also have my music when I'm renting a car or traveling.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Another feature: if you hear a song you like, say, "Hey Google, add this song to my favorites."

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
About 10 years ago a buddy was able to jump on a lifetime subscription (before Sirius and XM merged). $300.

The first radio died and when he tried to transfer the account to a new radio, they tried to say the subscription was for the lifetime of the radio. That was not well received as my buddy just happened to have the original contract on hand to discuss the finer points of reading comprehension.

I did the same thing, it includes online and vehicle so it was a gamble that paid off. The likelihood of them staying in business was very slim in those days.
I did it to get Howard Stern and I don't ever play his stations for the past few years. He sucks (Any Lib in Hollywood) at this point.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8350 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate them. I bought the Stilleto model radio, nearly 500 bucks. A year later they "upgraded" service and my radio no longer worked, but they would have happily sold me another for 500 bucks. I killed the service and won't go back.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
what then, cassettes?
8 track

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
I'm about to cancel because of the DJs & their bullshit. Octane/Turbo/Lithium/Boneyard/Liquid Metal are all pandemic this/racism that. If I switched because of commercial free music, why the fuck do I want to listen to you?

I had XM for maybe 15 yrs, and when my Cooper was totaled, the replacement Honda does not have a satellite capable radio,

I did not want to hook up my old ski fi unit,

I liked some of the banter , (I like Madison, even tho she has a bad case of TDS, )

Dick Blade would make me change the station in an instant,

but overall, I don't miss it, I stream from my phone, or listen to an ipod

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post