SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your military pedigree?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your military pedigree? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not much, it's all recent.

Sister-US Army for 5-6 years, 1x OIF and 2x OEF
Me-US Army 11 years and counting, 2x OEF

I really hope my daughter does not join the military.

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Me USAF 1977-1981 peacetime.
My father. USN don’t know the time frame however.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
us army aviation, vietnam.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Paternal grandfather came from Germany, Prussia, or Poland. I have his draft cards for WWI and WWII, but he didn't serve as far as I know.

Father was in Army Air Corp in WWII, worked on B-17 radar in England.

Mother was a WAC for a short time in WWII until she got out to care for her mother. She developed or processed recon negatives/photographs.

Mother's brother was in the Army Horse Calvary in WWII.

I did 4 years shore duty in the Coast Guard from 75-79, then worked for them as a civilian for 11 more years.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Army Medical Corps, 1968-1970, first twelve months spent in Korea. With the exception of my paternal great-grandfather, who is rumored to have been a yankee, I am the first in my family to have served in the military.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Father: Korean War Vet '51 - '53, US Army Chemical Corps
Uncle: USN '56 - '60
Oldest Brother: USN '85-'89
Father-In-Law: USAF Pararescue, 2-tour Vietnam Vet
Best Friend: Naval Academy Grad, 20-Year USN Pilot, Test Pilot School Graduate (Patuxent River), Squadron Commander, Air Boss... retired from the military 7 years now.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was enlIsted USMC. My dad, grandfather and an uncle were USMC, and another uncle was USA.

A great great great great great(I don’t remember just how many generations back) grandfather was a surgeon in the civil war. He became a respected doctor afterwards. We also had some in the military during the Revolutionary War, but on my mother’s side.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
United States Army. 1981-1985.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Grandfather on my mom's side served in the 4th ID during WW I. Dad volunteered for the US Coast Guard in 1944, but never left the country and was mustered out in 1946, but stayed in the reserves for nearly 10 years. He was a LORAN operator and taught morse code. My uncle was Coast Guard from about 1948 to '52 or so and served on the buoy tender Jonquil. I was peacetime US Army, 3ID in Germany from '92 to '95. I'm probably last of the line at an honest day's toil, as none of my children served.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Grandfather- Army, served in WW1 towards the end of the war and didn't make it overseas. He was in the reserves in between wars, activated before WW2, Louisiana Maneuvers, North Africa and Europe then in NYC for the last year or so. Awarded Legion of Merit, non-combat award for North Africa service.

Father-in WW2 Army, Pacific. In service '43 to early '46. Arrived in combat in spring of '44-New Guinea, Leyte & Luzon, Philippines, went to Japan for a few months after the surrender then discharged in early '46. Never officially wounded but had bouts of malaria and severe foot damage due to jungle rot and other conditions. Terrible enemy and worse conditions.

Me, I'm a slacker. Was about 3 days from being drafted in January '73 (luck #3 in the lottery) when they announced the end of the war and draft.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My dad was born in Monterey, Mexico and crossed the border when he was seven. From there, the rest of my aunts and uncles were born in the US.

My mom was born in TX and her father, AFAIK, was a Mexican immigrant who died in a farming accident when she was six so my US heritage is relatively recent.

My uncle on my father's side served a couple of tours in Vietnam, from what I understand, in the US Army.

My uncle on my mother's side was a seabee during the Vietnam years, but I don't know of his experiences since he lived in Michigan and I grew up in California.

I served from 1991 to 2001 in the US Marines.

My daughter served in The US Marines from 2015 to 2019.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Great-grandfather - French Army, emigrated to US post-Franco-Prussian War

Paternal Grandfather - Army, served as a motorcycle messenger during WW I

Dad - Army, Korean War-era veteran, stationed at the Presidio and spent a lot of time in Alaska surveying.

Father-in-Law - Navy, served on a LST during Pacific Campaign in WW II. Had some PTSD relating to evacuating wounded marines off Iwo Jima.

Uncle - Navy, served 1943 - 1978, four commands at sea, Commander Task Force 115 in Vietnam, retired RADM. former chairman of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Me - USNA 85', served on USS IOWA. Resigned active commission in 1991, reserves through 1993

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Lots of uncles and cousins who have served, but my direct paternal lineage is:

Great Great Grandfather: 22nd Virginia Cavalry 1862-1864

Great Grandfather: ?

Grandfather: United States Navy 1917-1918

Father: United States Navy 1954-1957

me: United States Marine Corps 1986-1994

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great uncles who served during WWII.

My Dad, of blessed memory, was Naval Academy Class of 1964. Light attack/carrier pilot, but did not fly combat in Viet Nam, not assigned and with 3 small children, did not transfer and volunteer. Retired Commander.

My FIL, West Point class of 1957. Corps of Engineers. Served two non-combat tours in Vietnam. Retired Colonel.

BIL West Point Class of 1980, he retired out of the Reserves as a Lt. Col. (Corps of Engineers).

SIL, Naval Academy Class of 1982. She retired as a Commander (Naval Intelligence).

I served in the Virginia and then the Maryland Army National Guard in the Field Artillery. Resigned commission in 1995 as a 1LT.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:

My grandmother's brother was in the merchants. Interesting fellow. This is one of his logs...

A 1943 Log kept by Capt. H. Lee Perkins
(Uncle Homer was 40 years old at this time.)
Fascinating.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
great great grandfather (maternal) Civil War, captured and sent to Andersonville (survived)

3 great uncles in World War 1 (paternal), one was stateside only, one in the Navy on the USS Utah and 1 lost his leg at Chateau-Thierry (Artilleryman)

1 great uncle in WW2, Marines, wounded on Iwo Jima

My father during the Korean War was Army Chemical Smoke Battalion was stationed in England at RAF Sculthorpe.

I never served. Draft number 346 during Vietnam War.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Batty 67,
Was your HQ in Pikesville?

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My mothers side of the family goes back to the early 1600's in North America. I have family who served in Washington's Army, on both sides of the civil war, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. My dad's side came here in 1904. The only service on that side of the family is my uncle, who was a post WWII merchant seaman who later joined the Marines and served in Korea. My service was during the cold war into Gulf War I, then later during the GWOT time period. I have active duty in a time of war, but no deployment time.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I have to divide this into two groups.

Mother’s side:

War of Northern Aggression: 4 that I know of: Great-Great-Great Grandmother: four brothers, one wounded during skirmish on family homestead, one captured and impressed into Union Army.

WWI: grandfather (Cajun): Army, infantry, serial number 40k, original unit later unified into 1st Inf. Div., mustard gassed and wounded in Meuse–Argonne Offensive, died 1958 from lung cancer.

Pancho Villa Expedition lead by General John J. Pershing: 1 grand uncle.

WWII: grandfather’s younger brother, Army, infantry, killed in Pacific.

Korea: 1 uncle, USMC, with Chesty Puller at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, Distinguished Rifleman Badge, retired as Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Father’s side: direct descendants from published family history: 1635, two brothers came from England. Note: Everyone in the US bearing our family name descended from the younger brother (except for the plantation slaves who took the family name Smile ).

1689: Royal Navy-Pirate-Royal Navy: 1 (military pedigree?)

French and Indian Wars: 1

War for Independence: 4+

War of 1812: 1

Mexican War: 1

War of Northern Aggression: 10+

Civil War: 2+

Spanish American War: 1

WWI: 1, grandfather, Army, infantry

WWII: 1, father, Army, infantry, received commission at Ft. Benning five days after his 18th birthday: had anti-tank gun platoon during the Battle of the Bulge, after VE on ship headed for Japan when VJ day was declared, turned into Norfolk, VA and became first ship returning from Europe, my mother joined him at Ft. Campbell, KY and I became one of the first 500 Baby Boomers!

Viet Nam: 1, I enlisted Army, in July 1968, field artillery, Central Highlands, 1969.

Hopefully I am the last.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Father’s side: direct descendants from published family history: 1635, two brothers came from England. Note: Everyone in the US bearing our family name descended from the younger brother (except for the plantation slaves who took the family name Smile )

My mother's side made landfall in New England in 1635. I have to wonder if they were from the same part of England. The family name at that point was Beaman.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post