SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your military pedigree?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your military pedigree? Login/Join 
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
The brothers traveled on different ships. The younger, age 20, left 4 July 1635 to be transported to Virginia aboard "Transport of London". "The parties have brought certificate from the Minister of Gravesend of their conformitie of the Church of England."
I know the family was prominent in Somerset County and are listed in about a dozen other counties.

Remember that 1635 was in the middle of Charles I “Eleven Year Tyranny”, which caused some happy-feet.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Batty 67,
Was your HQ in Pikesville?

Yep. Long ago. 2/110th FA. I was only in the National Guard for a few years. 1/246th in VA before that.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marines 72-76
Father-Army Rangers, Korean War
Grandfathers etc. also served.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20th century and forward:
Maternal Greatgranddads: (1) PFC, US Army Air Corps as a mechanic (stateside) during WW1; (1) PFC, US Army (Infantry), WIA (gassed) in France in 1918.

Maternal Granddad: MM (E-5), US Navy, Seabees, Pacific Theater WW2
Maternal Great Uncles: (1) CPT US Army, MP, Pacific Theater WW2 and Army of Occupation, Japan; (1) SGT US Army (Infantry), Pacific Theater WW2, WIA on Okinawa 1945.

Paternal Great Uncle: PFC US Army (Infantry), European Theater WW2, KIA in Germany 1944.

Above's posthumous-born son: 1LT, US Army (helicopter pilot), DOW after crash in Vietnam, 1970.

Me: Alabama ARNG 1989-1993, 1LT Combat Engineer

Posts: 490 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several family members served in the American Civil war.

My Great Grandad was in the Army during the Spanish American War.

My Dad joined the Marines underage during WWII but his age was discovered and he served in the Reserves until 1950.

My Uncle on Dads side was in the Navy

Both My Cousin and I (same age) Joined the Marines. I stayed in and he transferred to the Air Guard.

Another Cousin retired from the Airforce

My Son served in both the Marines and the Army.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
The brothers traveled on different ships. The younger, age 20, left 4 July 1635 to be transported to Virginia aboard "Transport of London". "The parties have brought certificate from the Minister of Gravesend of their conformitie of the Church of England."
I know the family was prominent in Somerset County and are listed in about a dozen other counties.

Remember that 1635 was in the middle of Charles I “Eleven Year Tyranny”, which caused some happy-feet.

My early ancestors made New England their home. The southern Beamans got their start with one cousin who moved to Tennessee in the 1840's.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Past the WW II generation mentioned in the other thread -

Both my mother's brothers continued the family tradition as career officers and retired as LTCs. One served in the airborne signals field; crippled his leg in a HALO jump during a NATO exercise in Turkey when it got caught in a line as he had to pull his chute while still head down to avoid hitting a guy who had opened prematurely, but managed to stay in. The other drove CH-53s in army aviation and later became a flight accident investigator. His son, my cousin, also did two years as a reserve officer candidate at HQ Eurocorps in Strasbourg, France.

My father was defered while studying medicine, then drafted into the air force as a ready-made surgeon with the rank of captain. Got called up for reserve drills with an airlift wing a couple times.

I tried the career officer path myself, but quickly found it wasn't my cup and ended up serving the regular twelve-month term of conscription at the time (1992/93). Switching back and forth between career tracks and being part of the first West-East-German recruit swap after reunification resulted in me being drafted into artillery, going through basic training twice as a medic and with military police respectively, and finally serving as a medic in a military police battalion. In 1997 I went for a voluntary reserve drill with the Operative Information branch. If I had started out there, I might have stayed on, and my life would have been very different.

My brother #2 sorta followed my father and served 22 years as an air force surgeon, last in medical controlling in Bundeswehr hospital Berlin. In between he deployed to the Balkans twice.

Brother #3 initially went into military police as an NCO to serve out an obligation after quitting police training in Berlin and moving back home for his then-girlfriend. She left him anyway, and he went for a twelve-year term as an officer. Two tours in Afghanistan, one to Djibouti, got out as a captain.

Brother #4 served as a conscript in mechanized infantry. Mostly at company HQ due to his computer skills (he works in IT now) .

Brother #5 went into the cavalry officer track, but quit after two years, also for his girlfriend (they're married with two kids now, both working as school teachers).

Brother #6 also went into MP as a reserve officer candidate after completing business school, but not finding job opportunities. He would have liked to stay on after two years, but was too old under contemporary regulations. Also became a teacher, but remained an active reservist and has made major by now.

Brother #7 is the only one to never have served. He was exempt from conscription since only two kids per family were subject to the draft - that would have been me and #4. He's a banker and playing in an airsoft team to compensate.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USMC 64-68 Vietnam.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Father and I are members of Sons of the American Revolution. Had to produce concrete proof and paper trail all the way back to our direct ancestor in the American Revolution. At least one on my mothers side, Nathaniel McCarroll, and my fathers side, Henry Thomas. A set of three brothers fought on different sides of the Civil War on my moms side. All three lived but one severely wounded. My grandfather and his two brothers (on my mom’s side) served in Armored Infantry Units in the invasion of Europe, two of them until the surrender of German forces. One was killed near Luxembourg and Bitburg Germany and is buried in Luxembourg Natl Cemetery. My grandfatjer awarded the Bronze Star in addition to several other medals awarded to the fighting troops. He was in two major battles/campaigns.
All three of my uncles followed his example and served in the Air Force and Army. Two of my uncles on my fathers side served in Vietnam, one a Mortar-man and the other a in the Navy. Another served in Germany in an armored unit during that war. My father did not serve in the military but was a DeKalb County GA Police Officer until he retired just after the Atlanta Olympics. He later served in UNMIK (United Nations Mission in Kosovo) with Dyncorp for approx 4 years policing, establishing a policing infrastructure, and training democratic policing to the Kosovo officers. My brother served in the Army as a radio man and I served in the 101st Airborne.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post