SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You may be some kind of professor, but you ain't a law professor...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You may be some kind of professor, but you ain't a law professor... Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
quote:
Originally by Jeffrey Sachs: Semiautomatic weapons are not protected by the Second Amendment. The federal government and the states can outlaw them, a point underscored by none other than the late Justice Antonin Scalia, who emphasized that the Second Amendment protects gun ownership of the types of arms that were "in common use" in 1791, when the Second Amendment was adopted.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/...ves-sachs/index.html

quote:
Originally by Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority in Heller: Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U.S. 844, 849, 117 S.Ct. 2329, 138 L.Ed.2d 874 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27, 35–36, 121 S.Ct. 2038, 150 L.Ed.2d 94 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, **2792 prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding. District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 582

[bold emphasis mine] Scalia saw you comin' jeffyboy.

Other wonderful gems from Professor Sachs (how did you get to be a professor with such poor research skills and reading comprehension?):

quote:
The federal government banned semiautomatic weapons for 10 years between 1994 and 2004, and deaths from mass shootings fell. It's a no-brainer to do so again, and fast.

It's a no-brainer because no one with a brain would say something like that. Plenty of semi-automatics were sold between 1994 and 2004. The 1994 AWB was a feature ban, not a complete ban.

quote:
It's a good bet that the families of the Las Vegas victims will eventually file a class-action suit suing the gun industry for its reckless disregard. The families can never recover their awful loss, but they could yet save the lives of countless others by bringing these awful companies to justice. Nothing should exonerate gun manufacturers from their responsibility in making and marketing such instruments of needless death.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act: read 'em and weep Jeffy.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What a stupid fuck. Hate these idiots. What do these brain dead mouths not get about the intent of the 2A?

And btw, with this logic, I assume there are no objections if I walked around with a sword / katana, right?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
And btw, with this logic, I assume there are no objections if I walked around with a sword / katana, right?

As long as I can have a punt gun.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not only were semiautos still sold during the "ban", but the "ban" was so ineffective at reducing deaths that the banners were universally squalling that it didn't go far enough!

How does someone like that get to be a law professor?

- They publish nothing on the subject, because it isn't their particular field of legal specialization

- Someone in the administration wants to push a political line, and doesn't care whether it's true or not

- Both

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

He's not a law professor. He's director of Columbia's "Center for Sustainable Development."

He's so far out of his "sustainable development" wheelhouse that he's walking the plank--or keelhauling himself.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The ban was effective in reducing the number of Democrat office holders, and the more these goons rattle on about it, the fewer there seem to be.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The stupid is very strong with 'ol Jeffy.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He isn't stupid. He knows what he says isn't strictly accurate, but that will not stand in the way of his advancement of his political agenda.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
He isn't stupid. He knows what he says isn't strictly accurate, but that will not stand in the way of his advancement of his political agenda.

Yup, these leftists are just pandering to the uninformed.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This sort of thing is the origin of "fake news."

It doesn't have to be true, just keep saying it, and somebody else repeats it as truth and so on and so on.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Every-time one of this nimwits touches anything "gun", they shoot themselves in the foot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yup, these leftists are just pandering to the uninformed.

Oh, so its like democrats pandering to other democrats.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

He's not a law professor. He's director of Columbia's "Center for Sustainable Development."

Sustainability and Sustainable Development are the "engineering" to the science of "climate change." Total his entire field is rubbish, I would not expect him to say anything intelligent outside of it. CNN must really be desperate to trot this completely unqualified fool out as an expert. Surely there are enough leftist law, criminal justice, or other tangentially relevant professors they could have found to provide commentary. Why not publish an opinion piece from a kindergarten teacher in Hoboken?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
So a class action law suit would save lives, heh? As I see it the only benefit of any class action suit is for the lawyers who argue the case. The plaintiffs never see anything and the defendants rarely have to do anything other than pay the lawyers.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment.

I love that. (sarcasm) Watch them squirm when you ask if the First Amendment only covers technology in use then, e.g., hand-cranked printing presses, town criers and pens made from birds' feathers.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

He's so far out of his "sustainable development" wheelhouse that he's walking the plank--or keelhauling himself.

He needs to stick to researching how to recycle feces, of which he is a grand producer.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
He starts saying that semi automatic weapons aren't protected. To do this he cites a 4th Circuit Court decision.
https://www.reuters.com/articl...ircuit-idUSKBN1612PU

However, this was about military weapons. "one of the big arguments by plaintiffs who challenged Maryland’s ban – and by the four 4th Circuit judges who dissented from the en banc opinion – was that semi-automatic weapons, otherwise known as “modern sporting rifles,” are among the most popular guns on the market, with 8 million of them circulating in the U.S. as of 2013."

"Judge Traxler said that millions of law-abiding Americans own semi-automatic weapons for lawful purposes, including the defense of their homes, so the guns are squarely within the Second Amendment. The judge – who had written the Kolbe panel opinion now replaced by the en banc decision – also reiterated his conclusion that Maryland’s law is subject to strict scrutiny."

The "strict scrutiny" is normally a death kneel for a case.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
He starts saying that semi automatic weapons aren't protected. To do this he cites a 4th Circuit Court decision.
https://www.reuters.com/articl...ircuit-idUSKBN1612PU

However, this was about military weapons. "one of the big arguments by plaintiffs who challenged Maryland’s ban – and by the four 4th Circuit judges who dissented from the en banc opinion – was that semi-automatic weapons, otherwise known as “modern sporting rifles,” are among the most popular guns on the market, with 8 million of them circulating in the U.S. as of 2013."

"Judge Traxler said that millions of law-abiding Americans own semi-automatic weapons for lawful purposes, including the defense of their homes, so the guns are squarely within the Second Amendment. The judge – who had written the Kolbe panel opinion now replaced by the en banc decision – also reiterated his conclusion that Maryland’s law is subject to strict scrutiny."

The "strict scrutiny" is normally a death kneel for a case.

Huh?

The link explains that the en banc court reversed the three judge panel and upheld the Maryland statute under intermediate scrutiny.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or put more pointedly, the prof is a liar. He's nothing we don't see daily on virtually every media outlet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is all about ratings and stirring up controversy. Nothing more.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post