SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell Phones and SIM Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell Phones and SIM Cards Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
My wife has a Galaxy S 5 on Verizon. The phone is dying.

If we bought an identical phone used without a SIM card, but still made for Verizon, would we be able to move her SIM card and flash card to the new phone with no loss of apps or functionality?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes. Might need to call CS and inform them of the switch.

In fact, call them before you drop $$ and make sure the new/used handset is not blacklisted as stolen.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Yes. Might need to call CS and inform them of the switch.

In fact, call them before you drop $$ and make sure the new/used handset is not blacklisted as stolen.

RMD

No need to call them. If it works after inserting your sim, you are good to go.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I did this with my S4 with zero problems.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Swapping SIM cards is no problem. She'll be good to go.

Her apps or anything else installed on her old phone though will not simply transfer over as far as I know. None of that stuff is associated with the SIM card.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Her apps or anything else installed on her old phone though will not simply transfer over as far as I know. None of that stuff is associated with the SIM card.

However, it IS associated with Google if she has an account.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
IMEI's are typically registered with the carrier as yours, though, arent they? Swapping phones for me is a simple SIM swap, plus telling my carrier the IMEI of the phone I'm using. simple phonecall for me.

typically a carrier will lock your phone via IMEI if lost, stolen, or you don't pay your bill. it also can help recover stolen phones.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

However, it IS associated with Google if she has an account.

RMD

Yes for pictures (if you store them online) and contacts and such, but what about all your downloaded apps?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes for pictures (if you store them online) and contacts and such, but what about all your downloaded apps?

Apps from the Google play store are typically downloaded automatically once you sign into your Google account on the new handset. It's not always 100% perfect, but most come on down.

RMD

posted Hide Post
Back the old phone up to the Verizon cloud, you have a free account with Verizon service.

Go on the Verizon wireless website or call Verizon customer service and give them the IMEI and the serial number.

Put the old cards into the new phone and you should be good to go.

You can restore the phone from the cloud.

This works best going with the same brand.

If you stay with Samsung to Samsung it works fine.

Done it several times.

If you bring the phones into a Verizon wireless store they will do it free.

Once the clerk could not reload my apps, but that was just an incompetent clerk.

The Verizon website is much better now and you can do it all using the website.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, everything you bought at the play store is already paid for and can be downloaded again for free if it doesn't automatically do it.

It's not just verizon to verizon. It's all bought on your google account. So if you switch to another carrier, all your google stuff goes with you.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently switched from a Galaxy S4 to new Galaxy S5. The folks at the shop where I bought the new phone downloaded an app called Smart Switch to both phones and then was able to transfer everything over to the new phone. Very easy process.

Just a simple swap of the Sim card and micro sd card and I was back in business. I did not have to communicate with my cell carrier at all.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some carriers require that you register the phone on their network to prevent blacklisted phones from being activated.

Stolen phone sand phones from deadbeats that owe the carrier money are not supposed to be allowed on the network.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post