SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anything to see in Eastern Kentucky?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything to see in Eastern Kentucky? Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Louisville Jack o Lantern Festival

Louisville Jack o Lantern Festival is getting started next week. It looks pretty damn awesome, it's on my list of things to do this year.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Coal mine, moonshine or move on down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8I2cF51Npc

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This place looks interesting, motorcycle parking right by your door..

Mount Aire Motel Harlan

If you are heading down to the Red River Gorge or Natural Bridge area then you could rent a cabin and base your rides out of there, you'd be in the middle of the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Cabin Rentals

Down a bit south toward London is Camp Wildcat Battlefield, it's a civil war battle location, haven' been but looks interesting. At least a good place to hop off the bikes and walk a bit.

Camp Wildcat

Posts: 23394 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Hotels available in the Harlan area? We might get that far south, maybe not.
Harlan, lookup Ava while youre in town! Wink

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Hotels available in the Harlan area? We might get that far south, maybe not.
Harlan, lookup Ava while youre in town! Wink

You'll never leave Harlan alive.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
This is near Harlan, it's an exhibition mine that you can ride the coal cars into. I found it interesting.

http://www.portal31.org/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just back from Eastern Kentucky!

Drove down Monday. Toured on Tuesday, included Red River Gorge. About 200 mile drive. BEAUTIFUL road conditions and country side. If you like curves, this is the place. Some talk of the Dragons Tail in southern Va. ——- This is that kind of riding for miles and miles and miles. Quiet, almost zero traffic and very clean, smooth, quality roads. Little towns to drive through but I noted that the speed limit signs were 55 mph, where here in PA. they would say 35.

Our day had speeds from 35 to 70 mph. Some of the roads were new, wide shoulders and fast. Others were old with a zillion elbows where sightseeing would have you off the shoulder in a second. As a warning to other riders, they don’t like guard rails on the side of many of the roads. As rural as some were, should you go off you might drop 50 - 100’ before coming to a stop. They might never find you. Roads - Beautiful on dry days, dangerous on wet and likely deadly on ice (even in a car). One really nice stretch was route 77 south off or 460. Motorcycle heaven.

For those of you that made suggestions I thank you. Wish I had more time.

Tuesday night was in London, Ky. Wednesday it rained. Return trip to Ashland was all in the rain. I really, really don’t like riding in the rain. Did Illinois to New Jersey in the rain once. Not to be repeated. So that was just miles carefully driven. Home today to southern PA. Also in the rain, but in a truck pulling a trailer with the bikes in the trailer. Truck is a much better way to travel in the rain.

Safe arrival home, bikes good, no damage, no near misses. Great trip. Highly recommend the area if this is the kind of riding you like -

Thanks again guys -

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
they don’t like guard rails on the side of many of the roads.

Guard rails That is funny and you weren’t even really in the mountains compared to some places a bit further south once you get down by Jellico Mountain.

Glad you enjoyed it. If you ever decide to make the trip again drop me a line and hopefully I won’t be busy and we’ll try to grab a bite to eat.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I agree. Illinois and New Jersey are not to be repeated!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post