SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Kilt - not just a skirt after all
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Kilt - not just a skirt after all Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Very informative

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And down the rabbit hole I go. This guy has some excellent videos.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
It is interesting since kilts are my heritage. Even so, there day has long since passed. I did give them more respect, though, after watching Outlander.

Also, it may have been mentioned here before, but during the days of William Wallace/Braveheart, they didn't wear kilts. That was a theatrical rewrite of history.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Very informative and enjoyed watching as was presented very well. Kilts in my heritage as well and will give this a try.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23400 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the guy has some worthwhile content on his channel.

I had no idea that kilts started out by wearing a blanket. The kilts he showed in that video- that's a lot of cloth! Did you see how he made n A-frame shelter out of his kilt, with enough material left over to bundle up in? What a hoot! And the way it can be configured so as to provide a cloak? Really, I had no idea.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
There a Scottish museum in Franklin NC that has real kilts and other clothing items for sale. I bought Mrs Mike a cloak made of purple tartan for here a few years ago, she loves it. It is very warm and not too heavy, but it’s only 6’x4’....couldn’t imagine wearing 15 yards of it . But then I try and stay away from cold as much as I can

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still looks like a skirt to me.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, the guy has some worthwhile content on his channel.

I had no idea that kilts started out by wearing a blanket. The kilts he showed in that video- that's a lot of cloth! Did you see how he made n A-frame shelter out of his kilt, with enough material left over to bundle up in? What a hoot! And the way it can be configured so as to provide a cloak? Really, I had no idea.

I had no idea as well. On my bucket list is walking the El Camino de Santiago. The thing about this trek is traveling light. As I watched this I imagined what it would be like using a light weight wool blanket like this for all that was mentioned : shelter, cover, carry things ... Just a thought I had.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I had no idea. Fascinating.

Essentially the same as. Roman Toga, which was a large rectangle of wool cloth.

It does give me pause that a garment I thought impractical, actually could have had very practical uses.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If this system were devised today, it would be called Wear-A-Tent and be made in China.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
walking the El Camino de Santiago.

my #2 son did that about 10 years ago. He cautioned to have your feet in very very VERY good walking condition. There seemed to be ample support along the way. My accountant's wife & her buddy did the walk about 5 years back. High praise there too. Conditioning pre-hikes daily crucial they reported.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

my #2 son did that about 10 years ago. He cautioned to have your feet in very very VERY good walking condition. There seemed to be ample support along the way. My accountant's wife & her buddy did the walk about 5 years back. High praise there too. Conditioning pre-hikes daily crucial they reported.

I did that back in 1970, but I didn't go alone.

I pushed a wheelchair with a guy in it who was dying from MS.

He was very happy to be there in the plaza at the end, and, tbh, so was I.

He died about a month after we got back from Spain.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Going back to the original image, I have to say that seeing a male model wearing a plaid and holding a take-down recurve bow has to be one of the oddest mixes I've ever seen.

It's as odd to me as seeing an Inuit guy playing a concert harp.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Only thing left out was how to use one to create a romper room for the lasses. I suppose I'm on my own. Presumably lanolin for the assured chafing.

Somehow using a few cords, a pine cone, and several rocks, it rotates and has a light show.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a great kilt, but they are expensive as hell for a lark, and since I live in Florida, it's just not practical clothing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I've always wanted a great kilt, but they are expensive as hell for a lark, and since I live in Florida, it's just not practical clothing.

A linen kilt?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

I did that back in 1970, but I didn't go alone.

I pushed a wheelchair with a guy in it who was dying from MS.

He was very happy to be there in the plaza at the end, and, tbh, so was I.

He died about a month after we got back from Spain.

Totally agree. I have been studying this for years and will be physically prepping months before I head out.

I did a little research on the tartan fabric for The Great Kilt and found this website for tartan fabric made in Scotland :

https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/tartan-fabric/

Pricey, but at least it is not made in China.