SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Printing Envelopes - HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing Envelopes - HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Hey gurus of everything...

I'm trying to print envelopes through the stated printer. I used to have no problem with my old OfficeJet printer, but this one seems to be a little picky on the paper size entered.

So...I'm printing envelopes for Christmas cards that are non-standard in size. One envelope is 7 1/2" W x 5 1/4" H. The other is 7.0" W x 5.0" H. I'm setting the correct size through the Microsoft Word envelope function, but there really isn't a corresponding size on the printer panel and the printer just elicits an error messages and feeds through a blank envelope.

Does ANYONE have any experience with this printer and printing "odd size" envelopes?? ANY suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
How about finding an envelope that is similar in size to your envelopes & is supported by the printer and then adjusting the margins to see if it'll print on your envelopes?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input...

These envelopes came with the boxed cards I bought. Why would I find others? There has to be a way to make these envelopes work, as my old OfficeJet printer didn't miss a beat.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
In Word, look at what envelopes are supported & see if there is one that is similar to yours, then using it as a template, try adjusting the margins. If you're using the manual feed tray, technically, you can test this all out by just putting in plain paper, after printing the first test page, measure from the center to make more accurate adjustments.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Thanks for the input...

These envelopes came with the boxed cards I bought. Why would I find others? There has to be a way to make these envelopes work, as my old OfficeJet printer didn't miss a beat.

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried taking out the paper tray, removing all the regular paper, inserting the envelopes and then adjusting the guides on the sides and the front so that they touch the sides of the envelopes ? The envelopes need to be face down with the edge with the opening on the left. The HP User Guide for the 8710 has a section on how to do this on pages 20 and 21. The link to download the user guide is here: HP 8710 manuals

Posts: 4 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Avery-M...-18660/dp/B00004Z5T0

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
lkdr...I've made those measurements for the Word side of the equation. It's just when I get to the printer, there isn't a selection that matches the envelope measurements, so I select Custom. Then when I click print in Word, I get some message on the printer's panel about a paper mismatch and a blank envelope spits out. I'll figure it out for next year...

Thanks trm, but this goes well beyond loading the envelopes into the paper tray.

V-Tail...it will probably come down to that.

bubba...that's the wrong color pen.

Big Grin

Happy Festivus to all!!!!

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that...another option would be to print labels.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was V-Tail's link. Smile