SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Gun Cabinets Obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Gun Cabinets Obsolete? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone still have these displayed in their den? Holy shit....I think I'm turning into my dad. All of sudden I like these now. I like the nostalgic look to then and they remind me of when I was a kid. I mentioned it to my wife and she almost had an aneurysm. What are your thoughts? Millenials....bite your tongue. Tastes change. Y'all just wait.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I like them. I had an el cheapo gun cabinet for years. Had the glass door and everything. It looked really good in my living room with all my cowboy guns in it.
Alas, I am afraid they have gone the way of gun racks in pickup back windows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they were killed off by security concerns. Too bad. A great-uncle had one that was full of classic shotguns and .22s from the late-1800's through the mid-1930's, all bought new by him. My favorite was a fully-engraved Lefever 12 gauge with Damascus barrels.

These days, I wouldn't risk leaving a gun exposed if I was expecting company.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I think they were killed off by security concerns. Too bad. A great-uncle had one that was full of classic shotguns and .22s from the late-1800's through the mid-1930's, all bought new by him. My favorite was a fully-engraved Lefever 12 gauge with Damascus barrels.

These days, I wouldn't risk leaving a gun exposed if I was expecting company.

I agree, I think they've have gone bye bye for both security concerns and also we're in a little different world now......you know don't want to offend anyone.....PC BS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I agree, I think they've have gone bye bye for both security concerns and also we're in a little different world now......you know don't want to offend anyone.....PC BS.

We're considering building a home in the near future.
Part of the plan is to have a gun-vault/office for me.
Reinforced walls and a vault door so security won't be a concern.

I'll have ever gun I own hanging on the walls.
It'll be fantastic.

and I really hope that I DO offend someone Smile
anyone that gets offended by that is not someone who I give a shit about having around Smile

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I remember going to my Grandpa's house and there were a bunch of rifles just mounted on racks on the walls.

The horror! Big Grin

Different times indeed.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live next door to an older fella that had one of those in his den. All Winchester filled, .22's, model 97 & model 12, Garand & Carbine, he had all bases covered.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I can see maybe an AR but do thieves even bother stealing old rifles or shotguns?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:Part of the plan is to have a gun-vault/office for me.
Reinforced walls and a vault door so security won't be a concern.

What are you doing for the floor and ceiling?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I think they were killed off by security concerns.

Yep, but all it takes is a good alarm system, and you can still use the old fashioned gun cabinets. You can also move them from the display cabinet to a safe or safe room (before leaving the house empty for long periods) for added security. Gun stores don't lock up every gun for the night. They use good alarms, camera systems, steel doors, etc. You can buy some nice looking steel doors; they don't need to look like an armory door. I prefer that type of security on my house, regardless of gun storage method. And I don't even live in a bad neighborhood.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one in house right now that my dad and I built most of the way from a kit just before he died when I was 17. I got the pieces and instructions about 7 years later, f8nished assembly and stain.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I think they are. Seems like is used to be a standard in all houses growing up of a wood and glass gun cabinet on display somewhere in the house. I don't think I remember anyone having a gun safe, but gun cabinets were common. It was also understood that the penalty for opening and handling anything inside without an adult present was something worse than death.

Sadly, that deterrent doesn't exist anymore. Then there's the concerns of liability, theft, etc. It seems most people I know now have a gun safe and no one has a cabinet.

Sad really. With my daughter approaching the dating age in a few years, I'd really like a gun cabinet. Something to put in the interrogation room, ugh, I mean den, to display all the ways I could dispatch a young man with questionable morals.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I just use mine to display my Lawn Darts.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A doctor friend of mine had a study/man cave that had cabinets on three walls with vertical gun racks for rifles and shotguns and drawers that held handguns. When he went on vacation we would take the whole collection in the back of my 1978 full sized Bronco to a local bank and put them in a old walk,in vault, it took several trips. He was ex-udt (underwater demolition) and a crack shot, miss him a bunch, we had a lot of fun times fishing, giging frogs in the Mobile delta and fishing for specks and Spanish mac in the chandler islands.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’ve see a couple of glass fronted ones (in the People’s Republic of California no less! Eek), one in a friend’s (in his late 80s) living room and another at Mrs. slosig’s uncle’s house. I’d guess the uncle is in his 70s. It may not be right at all, but I have this notion that somewhere in Montana or Wyoming it would probably be complete normal, expected, and not raise an eyebrow to have such a cabinet in one’s living room.

I love the idea of a vault room / office, but it bugs me that it feels necessary to lock up what I think should be normal, respected tools. Ah well, we live in the world we live in, not the world we think it should be...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm a millennial and I like the built in kind, but I'm also the sort of man to have a nicely wood paneled library and not some garish "man cave."

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i would love one I’m only 43. Especially if I could discreetly secure the guns inside by a coated wire cable. I have some family guns I’d love to display including a Damascus 1880s parker hammer 12 ga that belonged to my triple great grandfather and some early 1900s 1894 and 1892 Winchester’s that belonged to great uncles. All family guns. Still shootable and valuable but I’d rather display than shoot but displayed securely. With vintage cartridge boxes would be super cool.

My wife’s step mom’s parents arerecently passed. They were in their 90s. He had a choice glass cabinet in his living room here in California with some rifles and shotguns. I’m sure the guns went down in the family but I neglected to ask about the case.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school the boys in shop class always used to build a simple wall type gun rack for 3or4 long guns with a drawer for ammo, knives, etc.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My dad had a 10 gun one with locking glass doors, a lower display area with an angled glass door, and a wooden shelf as long as I remember. I think he bought it in the mid-80s though. We later supplemented that with a home-made one we picked up at a garage sale that held another 16 and probably weighed 200+ lbs from plywood and glass. That was before the boating accident. I imagine eventually inheriting the nicer one and the bigger one staying with the house... Having the guns visible in the house, but secure, they were never a mystery to me as a kid. I currently fear they make him a burglary target though, when contractors, cable guys, etc come they see them. We have a set up where the case and guns can be secured in a room though, whenever I drain the lake. I wouldn't leave them out visible this day in age.

His '85 GMC 1/2 ton did have a gun rack though. The hooks always hit me in the back of the head when we sat 4 wide across the bench seat and my brother and I shared the lap belt. This was at an age where today state law would mandate me being in a booster seat, and in a truck with marginal safety already. I'm amazed I've lived this long.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My dad had a beautiful one with double glass doors and drawers underneath. I had the opportunity to get it when he passed and I declined it. I live in a more urban area and would not be comfortable storing guns in it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post