SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Journalists Blame ‘Fake News’ For Shooting, Claim Criticism Is Now Off Limits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Journalists Blame ‘Fake News’ For Shooting, Claim Criticism Is Now Off Limits Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Anti-Trump journalists are using the Annapolis shooting to assert that neither President Trump nor anyone else should criticize them any more.

Federalist
Rachel Stoltzfoos

Liberal media outlets have more than lived up to the “fake news” moniker President Trump bestowed on them following the election, after they ginned up the term to excuse Hillary Clinton’s loss. Now they are using the Annapolis shooting to assert they should no longer be criticized by President Trump — or anyone in the press — for shoddy reporting.

The man who killed four journalists inside the Capital Gazette newsroom on Thursday had a long running beef with the paper, because it reported in 2011 he was convicted for harassing a woman online. He sued for defamation, but the judge threw out his case. There is zero evidence his decision to open fire in the newsroom had anything to do with media criticism

Nevertheless, journalists are trying to use the dead reporters as a shield against future criticism of their work.

“I don’t ever want to hear the phrase ‘fake news’ ever again,” tweeted CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins.

Another White House reporter doubled down on his charge that Trump “caused” the shooting, after he learned the shooter’s motive. “I stand by what I said,” Andrew Feinberg tweeted. “You cannot be POTUS, hold rally after rally to attack reporters, calling them fake, disgusting/dishonest & not expect someone to think shooting them is ok.”

Huffington Post reporter Matt Fuller asserted journalists should “cool down the media criticism” because of the shooting.

BuzzFeed editor Tom Namako accused a White House spokeswoman of inconsistent rhetoric because she used the term “fake news” after condemning the violence in Annapolis.

These journalists are part of an anti-Trump media that eagerly hyped the term “fake news” following the 2016 election, then proceeded to churn out misleading, erroneous, and flat-out false reports at an astonishing rate for the next two years. They have made it easy for Trump to legitimately criticize them, and for legitimate criticism from other journalists who care about the integrity of the profession, and worry about the abandonment of standards.

Let’s review.

The term took off just before the 2016 election, when BuzzFeed identified dozens of “fake news” sites run by teenagers in the Balkans devoted to “duping” Trump supporters. The idea was to publish pro-Trump stories on seemingly legitimate sites then push them on Facebook to win engagement — and revenue — from ignorant Trump supporters. Their schemes were profitable. Following BuzzFeed’s report, other outlets picked up the thread and ran with it, building the narrative that a large chunk of Trump supporters were basing their vote on completely false stories they found on Facebook.

The narrative came in handy following Clinton’s stunning defeat. Story after story decried the undue influence these fake stories had on the election, although there is no evidence a single voter’s mind was changed by a fake news story.

“How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study,” read a New York Times headline. “We Tracked Down A Fake News Creator In The Suburbs,” NPR announced.

Soon fake news was tied directly to Russia’s attempts to meddle in the election, and used to punish Facebook for Clinton’s loss. PolitiFact named “Fake news” the lie of the year. All the anti-Trump outlets got a piece of the narrative. Pope Francis and former President Obama denounced its spread. Hillary demanded Congress fix the problem. By mid-December, two in three Americans believed fake news was creating a “great deal of confusion” about current events.

The narrative was by all accounts wildly successful for liberals, until President Trump started using it as a tool to highlight reckless and erroneous reporting about his administration. “You are fake news,” he declared in a stunning exchange early on with CNN’s Jim Acosta that would become characteristic of his interactions with the press.

His followers loved it, and he applied it generously in speeches, on Twitter, and in press conferences in his war on the press. The term quickly lost its original definition, and took on a new meaning as a derogatory term for news outlets pushing an anti-Trump narrative at the expense of the truth. CNN has born the brunt of Trump’s successful repurposing of the term, but many outlets stand accused.

Trump’s rhetoric against the media is at times extreme — labeling the press the “enemy of the people,” for example. But story after story has provided him ample ammunition to keep the fake news narrative going. CNN in particular has more than earned the title in the months following Trump’s declaration against Acosta.

Here are some of the most egregious examples: The Washington Post reported the U.S. power grid was hacked, in what turned out to be a completely false report based on a tip from one anonymous source. The New York Times reported the Trump administration was trying to bury a climate change report that had been readily available to the public online for months. CNN had to retract a story falsely claiming Anthony Scaramucci was under investigation for ties to a Russian banker.

Another doozy from CNN was the story that falsely claimed the Trump administration was tipped off before the stolen WikiLeaks emails were published — the network’s anonymous source reported the wrong dates on a document. A number of outlets, including The New York Times and The Associated Press, picked up and ran with a Russia falsehood that originated with the Hillary Clinton campaign for nine months before only some of them issued a correction.

These are old news by now, but the examples just keep coming. Most recently, a Time magazine cover and cover story was completely dismantled by the press, which found out the crying girl on the cover who had come to embody outrage over Trump’s child separation policy at the southern border was not separated from her parents.

Not surprisingly, Americans are increasingly skeptical of the media, and the outlook for credibility is bad. One poll found the percentage of Americans expressing a “great deal of confidence” in the press has fallen from 28 percent in 1976 to just 8 percent in 2016. Another put that percentage at 6 percent. Yet the press continues to blame others.

In a recent report on the decline of trust in the media, the AP blames Trump’s rhetoric, while ignoring any role the abandonment of journalistic norms by reporters and editors eager to hurt Trump might play in the problem. Now five newspaper employees are dead because of a deranged man with a grudge, and some members of the press see one more opportunity to complain about legitimate criticism of their work.

Erroneous reports from trusted outlets are likely far more damaging to the public discourse than the obviously fake information some kid is pumping onto Facebook from Macedonia. Media criticism is a valuable public service, and it’s within the bounds of public discourse. Period. Using this tragedy to suggest otherwise is inappropriate, embarrassing, and unseemly.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I guess it was just a matter of time. So somehow this incident is the fault of President Trump and his deplorable minions. Got it...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Or maybe they could stop with fake news and do their jobs right.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
These claims cause one to wonder if they are as literate as one assumes their profession requires.

Trump’s criticism is not a universal claim, but only applies to those who engage in it. If you aren’t doing that, he’s not talking about you.

It’s like Dolly Parton explained when she was asked if she was offended by dumb blonde jokes.

“No, ‘cause I’m not dumb and I’m not blonde.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
“I don’t ever want to hear the phrase ‘fake news’ ever again,” tweeted CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins.

‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’‘fake news’

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The man who killed four journalists inside the Capital Gazette newsroom on Thursday had a long running beef with the paper, because it reported in 2011 he was convicted for harassing a woman online. He sued for defamation, but the judge threw out his case. There is zero evidence his decision to open fire in the newsroom had anything to do with media criticism

Nevertheless, journalists are trying to use the dead reporters as a shield against future criticism of their work.

Ladies and gentlemen, yet another perfect example of fake news. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Phunny. Phake news to give credence to phuture phake news....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I stand by what I said,” Andrew Feinberg tweeted. “You cannot be POTUS, hold rally after rally to attack reporters, calling them fake, disgusting/dishonest & not expect someone to think shooting them is ok.”

But demonizing all cops, Republicans, and military personnel is "Free Speech."

Got it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fake news? Well here you go.

Reporter resigns after false tweet that Maryland shooting suspect had MAGA hat

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ct-had-maga-hat.html

A reporter in Springfield, Mass., resigned from his job Friday after posting a Twitter message falsely stating that Maryland shooting suspect Jarrod Ramos had brought a "Make America Great Again" hat to the office of the Capital Gazette.

Conor Berry, who wrote for the Republican, tweeted an image of a MAGA hat Thursday, and suggested that Ramos had left it behind at the Gazette office after allegedly killing five Gazette employees.

Backlash was swift. Berry deleted the tweet and apologized in a follow-up tweet Friday morning.

“Folks, My 21-year career as a “journalist,” a fancy term that makes my skin crawl, frankly, came to a screeching halt yesterday with one stupid, regrettable tweet,” Barry wrote. “Can’t take it back; wish I could. My since apologies to all good, hardworking reporters and to POTUS supporters.”

Berry told the Boston Globe that the tweet was intended to be a “snarky, sarcastic, cynical remark.”

In his resignation letter, Berry conceded that his tweet “taints the good work of fair-minded journalists everywhere.”

Wayne Phaneuf, executive editor of the Republican, said journalists must be “more vigilant than ever” in their efforts to be fair and accurate.

President Donald Trump, who has frequently criticized journalists for reporting “fake news,” on Friday said, “Journalists, like all Americans, should be free from the fear of being violently attacked while doing their jobs.”

Berry was not the first journalist to apologize for a tweet suggesting that the president or one of his supporters shared resonsibility for Thurday's massacre.

Reuters reporter Rob Cox tweeted Thursday, "This is what happens when @realDonaldTrump calls journalists the enemy of the people. Blood is your hands, Mr. President. Save your thoughts and prayers for your empty soul."

The tweet was later deleted.

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Berry was not the first journalist to apologize for a tweet suggesting that the president or one of his supporters shared resonsibility for Thurday's massacre. 

So where was the blame after the bernie sanders supporter shot up a Republican softball team?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Predictable. The left, and their propaganda has become so toxic that this was predictable.

They just can't seem to stand on their own two feet in the job they are currently doing, and have to be a victim some how.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In 2016, I heard, for the first time ever, the term "fake news" on KIRO FM radio (Seattle). A full 24 hours followed with saturation of "fake news" posted by "Russians on Facebook" which 'wrongfully caused millions of Americans to be deceived and vote for Donald Trump,' before President-Elect Trump latched onto the phrase and started listing examples, which I remember agitated, pained tones of reporters recounting as if they had pressured genitals.

The Left started this shit, and they own it. I pray they suckle hard and drink deep the sour milk this teat will provide.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The Dominant Entertainment Media Billed As "News" keeps crying that it's mistrusted and demonized. It keeps getting told why it's mistrusted and demonized. It keeps doing the things that engenders mistrust and demonization. Then whines that it's still mistrusted and demonized.

Yeah, that's weird

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that the MSM are not blaming websites like the ONION which have been showing FAKE NEWS for years. Instead they blame our President Trump. This just shows you how BIASED they are. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just thought “reporters” as the name implies is just to report the news as factual as possible and not make it up. Stupid me, I guess the real goal is to make up the news as you see it should be free to print. Isn’t it for the editors to fact check it? They ave made their beds, let them lay in it.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Alinsky tactic.
"blame your opposition of EXACTLY what you are doing.
Just another desparite attempt to stifle free speech and save their false narrative.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Isn't this just a continuation of the old "Rush Limbaugh is inciting the III%ers to start a race war" nonsense from the days of Bill Clinton?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The Left started this shit, and they own it.

Not in a hundred years could they imagine how hard that phrase would have been turned around on them, as that would require self awareness.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am old enough to remember when journalists' jobs were to report the news. Sadly, today, the entertainers who try to picture themselves as journalists too often create the news.

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cattledog:
I am old enough to remember when journalists' jobs were to report the news. Sadly, today, the entertainers who try to picture themselves as journalists too often create the news.

It seems like things have been going downhill ever since two police beat reporters got credit for bringing down the Nixon Administration, became multi millionaires, awarded Pulitzer Prizes, invited to all the cool parties and were played in the movies by Redfern and Whatzizname.

All lot of starry eyed college kids saw that and thought that looks easy.