SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ah...Monsoon Season in Tucson
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ah...Monsoon Season in Tucson Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
finally we get some relief Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sort of miss the three months w/o rain,
we had cactus in the retirement community , and when they would forecast the monsoons ,

I would go out and look at the cactus, and its pretty amazing to see the before and after pictures.

from slender and somewhat pale to bulbous and a rich green color , after 3 inches of rain

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
finally we get some relief Big Grin

Yes, relief for us from the heat. Then the bugs come out to attack us.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
they're calling for about the same here in Vegas.

123 in Laughlin/bullhead city on Tuesday

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!!! YOU LIVE IN A F'ING DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS THERE, NOTHING IS GONNA GROW THERE!!!

Big Grin Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel like I can store my wool clothes for the season now that the temps are going to hit 115F.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My main gripe about the "monsoon" is first of all, the term was never used in Arizona years ago. It was just "the summer rains"
Another thing is the weather folks got together and decided to pull a arbitrary date out of their ass, I think they decided on June 15 as the start of the monsoon which of course is ridiculous. Mother Nature cares not a bit about dates on a calender.
Well, at least the old weather guys said the monsoon started when three days in a row the dew point was over 55 degrees or something.
In Tucson and SE Az. the average significant start date for the rains are usually around the 4th of July or a little later.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I first heard of 'monsoon' season last year - was told to be careful - and around here rightly so

but it hardly qualifies as 'monsoon' - in most cases, locally hard downpours for perhaps 30 minutes or so are just heavy showers

one of the local tv stations ran a 30-minute alert show on monsoon season on Thursday - taped it - some good advice but most of it seems like a bit over the top

we shall see

as of right now, not a cloud in the sky (except the smoke from the wild fires)

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Usually around the 4th of July the monsoons kick in. It will be raining on the mountains and sunny in the valley. The water comes down hard, floods the washes and people get rescued from their cars. The lightning shows are impressive though.
Same story every year Smile

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1983 Tucson got hit with a 75 year flood, homes disappeared on both the north and south sides of town, it was crazy.

Back then there was a tv weather guy, Michael Goodrich, very dry humor, his joke when it would hit 100 was that the ice cracked on the Rillito River. He was also quite the shooter, saw him at the range quite a bit, he had a Browning BDA at the time-only one I ever saw outside of a shop.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the thunder and lightning that comes along as part of the storms. I agree that the arbitrary start and end dates of monsoon season is asinine.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Wet or dry monsoon?
Monsoon (UK: /mɒnˈsuːn/; US: /mɑːnˈsuːn/) is traditionally defined as a seasonal reversing wind accompanied by corresponding changes in precipitation, but is now used to describe seasonal changes in atmospheric circulation and precipitation associated with the asymmetric heating of land and sea.

or:

a seasonal prevailing wind in the region of South and Southeast Asia, blowing from the southwest between May and September and bringing rain (the wet monsoon ), or from the northeast between October and April (the dry monsoon ).

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doc45:
In 1983 Tucson got hit with a 75 year flood, homes disappeared on both the north and south sides of town, it was crazy.

Back then there was a tv weather guy, Michael Goodrich, very dry humor, his joke when it would hit 100 was that the ice cracked on the Rillito River. He was also quite the shooter, saw him at the range quite a bit, he had a Browning BDA at the time-only one I ever saw outside of a shop.

You're right, Michael Goodrich was great, really miss his common sense approach to weather.
A small correction, his deal was Ice Break on the Santa Cruz,lol.
I did not know he was a shooter, though I am not surprised. Too old too soon, sigh.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I first heard of 'monsoon' season last year - was told to be careful - and around here rightly so

but it hardly qualifies as 'monsoon' - in most cases, locally hard downpours for perhaps 30 minutes or so are just heavy showers

I was puzzled by the term when I first moved to AZ, but then learned the true meaning of the word monsoon is a change in the prevailing wind pattern in an area. In most areas, that also brings along torrential rains, but it is the change in wind pattern that is responsible and that is the monsoon.

I also agree with DoubleAdobe about the NWS making our monsoon season start and stop on a date (June 15th -> Sept. 30th). It never happens that way and every year is different. Last year, I believe it was, we didn't get a dewpoint above 55 until middle-late July. The old standby way to tell is when the dewpoint sustains at 55 for 3 days in a row. That is also the point at which swamp coolers are no longer efficient and it is time to switch over to AC.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Hope it cools off for you soon!

Most of the exterior scenes in the High Chaparral TV show back in the late 60s/early 70s were filmed in the Old Tucson and the surrounding area. I knew it was hot when I watched as a kid, but I really didn't pay any attention to the actual sweat, dust, and grime on the actors until watching the show again as an adult. Due to filming needs and since it was so unpredictable, I don't remember any episodes where rain played a part.

I've been writing some High Chaparral fanfiction stories recently to try to improve my writing skills so I've spent a little time studying Tucson area weather patterns and have been watching the show critically for little details like the sweat and grime. The producers often filmed the show in 110 to 115 degree heat, and so the actors had to change their outfits several times each day because they would get too wet from the sweat. I don't know how they kept her cool, but Victoria (Linda Cristal) was the only person who normally wasn't allowed to be shown sweating on screen.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy that got a lot of work on High Chaparral and various other movies and shows filmed at Old Tucson. His specialty was as a teamster, as in the old meaning of the word, stagecoaches, wagons, buckboards, etc. Also used a lot as an extra cowboy, anonymous scoundrel and as a wrangler and horse shoer for all the other productions going on. His name was Harry McCrorey.
Also, I am reminded of the old saying about the subject of a woman sweating.
It was said that women get flushed, men perspire and horses sweat,lol.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They were already using the term Monsoon Season when I first arrived in AZ in the early 90s. Seemed pretty appropriate then, like the bottom fell out for a few weeks at a time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably about right, early 90's feels like the middle of last week to me, ha.

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
His specialty was as a teamster, as in the old meaning of the word, stagecoaches, wagons, buckboards, etc. Also used a lot as an extra cowboy, anonymous scoundrel and as a wrangler and horse shoer for all the other productions going on. His name was Harry McCrorey.

That's pretty cool. Your friend has his own IMDB page that covers some of his major works including Tombstone. Unfortunately, they don't usually list his position on a lot of TV credits so it's probably shortchanged him.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its pretty flippin amazing to see how four months
of smog and grease ,grime and dust on the pavement,

mix with 2 inches of rain, its like driving on ice. vehicles flying all over the place.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post