SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ah...Monsoon Season in Tucson
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ah...Monsoon Season in Tucson Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I first heard of 'monsoon' season last year - was told to be careful - and around here rightly so

but it hardly qualifies as 'monsoon' - in most cases, locally hard downpours for perhaps 30 minutes or so are just heavy showers

one of the local tv stations ran a 30-minute alert show on monsoon season on Thursday - taped it - some good advice but most of it seems like a bit over the top

we shall see

as of right now, not a cloud in the sky (except the smoke from the wild fires)

It has to be over the top because people here turn stupid (stupider?) when it rains. We have a dumb motorist law in affect because people keep trying to drive through washes when they are flowing.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:
It has to be over the top because people here turn stupid (stupider?) when it rains. We have a dumb motorist law in affect because people keep trying to drive through washes when they are flowing.

It is actually called the "Stupid Motorist Law". Drive around barricades to enter a flooded roadway, and you can be assessed the cost of your rescue. Some of those rescues are pretty hairy, too.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Seemingly every time it floods Oak Creek Canyon some dumbass drives through it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:

You're right, Michael Goodrich was great, really miss his common sense approach to weather.
A small correction, his deal was Ice Break on the Santa Cruz,lol.
I did not know he was a shooter, though I am not surprised. Too old too soon, sigh.

Michael G. was also a country western dancer. I used to see him at the old Buckskin Bar.......the Tucson Mall is there now!! I don't ever remember seeing him drinking though.....could have just missed it. He was originally from Okla. if memory serves.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I could tell Michael was a real country boy, and seems I do remember him mentioning Oklahoma.
I don't remember the Buckskin Bar but do remember the old Buckskin Tavern way out east close to the Triple T. Long gone of course.
Then there was Jimmy Stewart the weatherman, didn't he take over for Michael G? He had a good long run as well, better than average weather guy I thought. Used to see him once in a while in Bisbee on the weekends.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, they weren't kidding - today was supposed to be the coolest day of the week and we went screaming right through 110 around noon

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The memories of when I lived in New Mexico.

March and April, the winds blowing for days on end. Dust permeating everything, tumbleweeds all over the place. If the winds went below 30 mph it was considered a breeze.

June and July, Monsoon season. Probably about 1983 like Tucson we had a five and a half inch rainfall. Combine that with the clay (adobe) soil and the fun began. Standing rainwater and nowhere for it to go. Bridges washed out. And of course the "I can drive through that arroyo, that water is not that high" game.

After the standing water went away, the ground turned to adobe. S*** stuck to everything. And for added entertainment, take a shovel to it. Dig down, the top couple of inches were mud and below that dry. No wonder we had so much standing water, it could not seep down.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Probably 20 years ago we were on a 2 week traveling vacation touring the SW USA.

Spent a couple days visiting friends in Tucson, and experienced asphalt melting in parking lots, rubber shoe soles bonding with hot asphalt in parking lots, etc etc.

I love the desert but it seems to be much nicer with air conditioning. But then I have turned into an old fart that likes air conditioning.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
For those visiting the area, a word of caution!

Pay attention to those signs on the highways that warn of flash floods!!

A heavy downpour miles away in the mountains can lead to short but dangerous walls of water coming down those washes.

Saw one, once, don't care to get wet in one.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Don't worry there are no areas on the highways that water crosses the roads. It's usually just smaller back roads.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
Don't worry there are no areas on the highways that water crosses the roads. It's usually just smaller back roads.

I hope that was tongue in cheek.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is going to be another hot one today folks. 1:20 P.M. and already 115F at my house!! My a/c is working it's ass off, but won't/can't hold my inside temp set at 77F......up to 79F so far.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
It is going to be another hot one today folks. 1:20 P.M. and already 115F at my house!! My a/c is working it's ass off, but won't/can't hold my inside temp set at 77F......up to 79F so far.

It's so hot in Phoenix that they've been cancelling flights today since it's expected to reach the maximum safe operating temperature of some of the jets.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/trave...cancelled/ar-BBCWCgN

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tucson has been cancelling some flights also, especially the smaller jets.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sunny and 72 degrees at my San Diego home right now. Thank you, cool Pacific breeze!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its about 3PM here and the temp is just hovering around 118

turned my AC up to 80 degrees - it just can't keep up with the heat load right now so I figure why stress the system to do something it can't

it had been cooling off nicely into the mid 70's overnight but at 530 this morning it was 82

tomorrow and Thursday should be the hottest days - and yes, I've heard about the cancelled flights - density altitudes are way up there - around 6600 feet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:

there were four major highways that would get four foot deep , when I was there 10 years ago, maybe they have fixed that , now ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One good thing about these "warm temps", it sure does make a cold beer taste mighty good!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sunny and 72 degrees at my San Diego home right now. Thank you, cool Pacific breeze!

Weird temp difference in Sandy Eggo, indeed. A few years ago, was in late May, I rode my GW thru the mountains on I-8 when it was 104 degrees and into SD when it was 65 degrees. A matter of about 10 miles.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post