SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A call for help, to the members of this forum *now closed*
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A call for help, to the members of this forum *now closed* Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
David, please seek competent tax advice on the funds you are receiving. A good CPA is worth their weight in gold on issues like this. God bless you, brother.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ulsterman, last I checked the MasterCam U site some of those corses are very affordable. Need a good enough computer and a place to study and learn. When I get employed here I will begin saving for a laptop again. Dell M7710 is the ticket. Like a 3D mouse ad well. I am not interested in programming lathes. The round parts bore me terribly. Mills are facinating. Horizontal boring mills are where I would like to progress to. There are manual boring mills still being used in industry but most who have CNC run Toshibas.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
David, please seek competent tax advice on the funds you are receiving. A good CPA is worth their weight in gold on issues like this. God bless you, brother.

Always a good idea to seek out tax professional but likely considered to be gift rather than income, because no services or goods were provided in exchange. See generally https://www.irs.gov/businesses...stions-on-gift-taxes.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I am near lost for words you guys and gals. I will have this event and you all to hold for the rest of my days. I hope to save this topic for me to reflect on. People like I have never known. The few people I know in my area would have let me sink when I cant swim. You all by contrast are uplifting of a stranger. I have a debt to you all I will be happy to return.

You're not a stranger, David. And you're not heavy; you're our brother.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
quote:

Always a good idea to seek out tax professional but likely considered to be gift rather than income, because no services or goods were provided in exchange. See generally https://www.irs.gov/businesses...stions-on-gift-taxes.

Correct, the funds or items of clothing, etc. that he's receiving are gifts. No income tax liability to David as the donee.

If he's using a need-based government benefit, like Medicaid, then these funds could be a problem.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To David Lee - No tax issues with any of the money or items you will receive. They are all gifts. Now if you put that money in an account that earns interest, you must pay taxes on those amounts.

To all who gave - no gift tax issues for you until you have given over $15,000 in one year to a single person.

Dave, if you have any other tax questions, please email me.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
quote:

I think this is correct. It is likely a gift. Not taxable to the donee.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I received three checks in yesterday's mail. I suspect the rest of the week will be fulfilling.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
To David Lee - No tax issues with any of the money or items you will receive. They are all gifts. Now if you put that money in an account that earns interest, you must pay taxes on those amounts.

To all who gave - no gift tax issues for you until you have given over $15,000 in one year to a single person.

Thank you!

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Here's a place in Buckner, KY that does CNC stuff (among other mold/tool related things). Drop them an email from that link on the right and see if they are looking for anyone.

http://www.hartlagemanufacturing.com

Family owned, good people.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:

To be clear, the amounts you have to pay taxes on are the amounts of interest paid to you, not the amounts deposited.

If you find anywhere to deposit the money where you are paid any meaningful amount of interest on it, please do let us know.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Here’s hoping your current troubles are seen behind you in a quality rear view mirror for many days to come.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6guns just e-mailed me that he got my check, so I imagine he got a bunch more today.

Knowing how busy he must be, I didn't ask for details such as totals, which I'm sure he'll give us when he can.

Hang in there, David!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
So where did we end up at?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
6guns got mine too

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've emailed 6guns this morning for the tally. When I last spoke with him, snail mail donations were still coming in.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
6 guns stated he would report back here when he has the total I am sure he has had a busy time collecting and emailing back the mailed in donors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Prolly some checks still rolling in. He just got mine yesterday.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
6guns said he won't be able to get to the bank until the 17th. So, we'll know the tally by then, for sure.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone. Yes, checks still coming in. I've received quite a few, but based on pledged checks via email that I haven't yet received, I'd like to wait before reporting any $ amounts. But what a generous bunch of great people!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post