SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations on a mini-SUV for elderly woman? **Update: Bought a 2017 Nissan Rogue**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on a mini-SUV for elderly woman? **Update: Bought a 2017 Nissan Rogue** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I both have CRVs, great vehicles.

The newer HRV appears to be is a mini-CRV, it should be easier for her to get into. Used ones will be scarce.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Thanks for the suggestions! I mention elderly because we want something that not low to the ground and is easy for her to get in and out of. She just had knee surgery so the less challenging to enter/exit, the better.

Sometimes Portland gets snow in the winter so we want her to have 4WD and chains or traction tires when applicable.

I'll scratch the Jeep Liberty and look at the suggested vehicles.

Tony.

gotcha...pretty sure all the cross overs are 8-10 inches across the board. Forester is around 8.7 and it has high roof so you wont bang your head into it. My wife had double knee replacements and didn't have any problem getting in our 2011 or 2015 Forester.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Toyota Rav4. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I really love the Mazda CX3 & CX5...Mazda is making some good stuff.

I love them, too - I have a CX3 and a CX5.
I'm very happy with them.

The CX3 is small, but is not too low and has all wheel drive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Mazda CX3 & CX5 offer AWD

+1 My wife just got a Mazda3 and we were looking at the CXs at first. I would definitely look at them if you get chance. Mazda builds a nice car.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I wouldn’t recommend a Jeep Liberty. (Or a Hyundai) Any of the Japanese manufacturers will have much more reliable vehicles.

Hyundai and Kia have been building pretty darn solid vehicles in recent years. Don't count them out so easily. I do agree with you regarding the Jeep Liberty however. They seem to be getting some pretty negative reviews.

Jim

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9530061244

I won’t do business with a corporation that practices business this way.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports likes the Subaru Forester. Reliable, safe, and excellent visibility.
When I was looking, I tried a CR-V and didn't like it, nor did my wife. I did like the Mazda CX-5.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Forester, CRV, RAV4.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the Subaru line is all wheel drive all the time. The others either go into it after the fact or need a button pushed. I know with the RAV, above 25mph, it kicks out of all wheel drive.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
When getting my Tacoma serviced I sometimes get a RAV4 as a loaner.

I don't like them. Bad ergos and bad visibility. Feels cheap on the inside.
But that describes most cars these days.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The Honda CR-V had been pretty consistently a good value for years. Hard to go wrong with that one, I should think.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The Honda CR-V had been pretty consistently a good value for years. Hard to go wrong with that one, I should think.

VERY hard to go wrong, but not get 2WD, that's front wheel drive only. The four wheel drives are called AWD, the rear wheels kick in automatically on my daughter's 2009 and my 2016.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent recommendations! I would also ecourage her to check out the Subaru's for the reasons cited.

How is your mom's hand, finger and arm strength?

The reason I ask is because with some of the transmission shifter's, you have to push a button in with your thumb to unlock it out of park, and then hold the button in to move the shifter into 'D'.

Some shifter's also require a down then 'over' pattern thru the shift-gate, which also requires some lateral strength of the driver.

Young, healthy and strong folks usually do not have a problem with this, but elderly folks that may have arthritis and other strength or flexibility issues may not be able to easily manage it.

Also, how easy is it to turn the steering wheel in parking / parking lot situations? Some cars are easier than other's, even with power steering. Same considerations as above.

Good luck in finding the right vehicle for your mom!

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for very small. the Ford Ecosport 4 wheel drive may be the answer.

One should be able to buy one new for under 20K.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Toyota RAV4

100%.

I’ve been extremely impressed with my wife’s 2011. It has 100k and still drives like new.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Toyota RAV4

this,

or a Honda CR-V

you may luck into a HR-V at that price point,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I drive a Ford Escape and really like the size.

Not too big and it's got some good power for a 4 cylinder

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Get her the equivalent to a .22 WMR revolver.

Safe and Easy to control. Not too big. Not to small. And not a lot of fancy crap that will be confusing under stress....

...Volvo V60 or Subaru Crosstrek

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I don’t own one (I would if I had a need for one) but had a newer Ford Escape AWD with the Ecoboost engine as a company rig for about two years, very happy with it during that time. Even at a lower trim level it was very comfortable.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
CX5

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post