SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations on a mini-SUV for elderly woman? **Update: Bought a 2017 Nissan Rogue**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on a mini-SUV for elderly woman? **Update: Bought a 2017 Nissan Rogue** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So my mom moved in with us and we’re looking for a good reliable mini-SUV with 4WD.

She’s approved for a loan of up to $17K.

We were thinking a newer used Jeep Liberty or something in that class of vehicle.

I don’t keep up on cars and reliability and stuff so I don’t know what to consider and what to avoid.

My mom gave her old Saturn VUE to my sister before she moved up here, so that’s what she’s used to driving.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Toyota RAV4

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mazda CX3 & CX5 offer AWD
Jeep Cherokee has real 4WD, the Compass & Renegade are AWD, IIRC
Ford has the Escape AWD & EcoSport AWD
Honda HRV can also be had with AWD

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May be out of your $$$ range, But I had a Chevy Trax for three years. AWD and turbo. It did a good job for me and the Yoop is hard on cars. Good gas mileage. And all the tech you can stand. I did not keep it beyond the factory warranty so no first hand knowledge of really high mileage use. A used Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 may be a good option too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I really love the Mazda CX3 & CX5...Mazda is making some good stuff.

Ford Escape seems like a nice one too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Used CR-V or Forrester.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t recommend a Jeep Liberty. (Or a Hyundai) Any of the Japanese manufacturers will have much more reliable vehicles.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Used CR-V or Forrester.

This.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Don't know what her being elderly has to do with it but I love my 2015 Subaru. Seat's are comfortable ie better than the last gen.

You can buy certified ones that are warrantied by the company and have low interest financing.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've had the liberty as a rental. Apologies to anyone that owns one, but it's garbage.

Forester. Rav 4. CRV.

My pick is the Forester because of the superior 4WD.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I wouldn’t recommend a Jeep Liberty. (Or a Hyundai) Any of the Japanese manufacturers will have much more reliable vehicles.

Hyundai and Kia have been building pretty darn solid vehicles in recent years. Don't count them out so easily. I do agree with you regarding the Jeep Liberty however. They seem to be getting some pretty negative reviews.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the Subaru Crosstrek as well. We have an Outback that we really like.
Was given a Crosstrek as a loaner when we had the Outback in for a warranty item.
Fun driving vehicle.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Crosstrek/Impreza Sport are good looking cars & may be great for this purpose.
As a car guy, the Crosstrek was amazingly slow when I test drove one a few years ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Kia Soul

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subaru XTrec. My daughter and son-in-law bought one. It's been bullet proof (89K so far) and does well in northern Utah winters. It's also not very high off the ground. It would be easy for your mom to get in and out.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Rav4, CRV or nothing. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I am going to get my mom a used CR-V with brake assist.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a lot of retirees driving Buick’s small suv. I think it’s the encore but I could have the model name wrong. It looks sharp.

That being said, I’d likely look at the CR-v or the HR-V if I wanted a small SUV.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I mention elderly because we want something that not low to the ground and is easy for her to get in and out of. She just had knee surgery so the less challenging to enter/exit, the better.

Sometimes Portland gets snow in the winter so we want her to have 4WD and chains or traction tires when applicable.

I'll scratch the Jeep Liberty and look at the suggested vehicles.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have her try multiple vehicles for ingress and egress. One may just fit her much better. You never know.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post