SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch? Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batex:
Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch?

When the Apple Watch first came out, I thought it ridiculous because (1) it was completely dependent on your phone so what exactly is the point of adding it, and (2) it was ugly. I told my friends I wouldn't consider it until it could be useful apart from a cell phone. When the Series 3 with cellular was introduced, I overcame my hatred of the ugly and bought one because I thought it would be convenient. Short version - I love it. I have not worn a mechanical watch once since I bought this one in October and I don't think I've gone a day (or night) without it.

Things I admittedly still don't like - I would still prefer a round watch, I wish it were thinner regardless of the shape, and the battery life needs significant improvement. But those dislikes are minor to me compared to the advantages.

First, when I'm at work, I can leave my cell phone in my office but wander around the rest of the building and still have access to my text messages, email, and if I need it, a phone. I rarely use the watch for actual calls, but I can see who is calling, access my voicemail, and return to a phone if it's a call I need to take. If I have to run to the gas staton or the grocery store, I don't have to take my cell phone with me. I use Apple Pay as well, so I can also use the watch to pay for things at a lot of places where I shop. And again, I always have text, email, and a phone on my wrist in case of an emergency. My favorite application is for working out. I try to walk or run daily. I can go out for my walk or run with just my watch and bluetooth headphones. I have a means of emergency contact if I need it, weather, streaming music (or podcasts) to my headphones, and tracking/logging fitness activities. Without having to worry about the bulk of a phone. After years of always running with a water bottle (with a phone pocket), a phone in my pocket, a phone on an armband, etc., it is remarkably freeing. I also use it as a heart monitor and sleep tracker. So I wear it at night as well. As I mentioned, the battery life is still not great - it does need daily charging, which for me usually means I charge it in the morning when I'm showering and getting ready for work, and again at night for an hour before bed. Other little things as well - a calculator always handy, a timer that I use a lot in the kitchen or when grilling, a silent alarm if I take a nap or want to get up the morning without waking the family, controlling my Phillips Hue lighting in the house, etc.

I have about ten bands for it and I find it goes well with just about anything I wear - nylon bands for working out, Nato-style bands for casual dress, Milanese loop bracelet for more formal occasions. Still not as classy as a nice mechanical watch, but I've never felt that it was out of place.

But overall, I am quite pleased and glad I gave it a shot. I'm looking forward to the improvements in future versions.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
A mechanical watch will never go obsolete

CNBC had one of the guys from Omega on when the Ihate watch came out, they asked if Omega was concerned. His reply was something like...." it's very neat but an Omega is passed on to your children and their children when a Iwatch has been recycled into a chip"

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Never here too.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
During my working life, I wore various Citizen watches. The day I retired, I put my watches on the dresser and haven’t looked at them for three years.

For Christmas, our children bought both my wife and I an Apple Watch. We both love them and wear them every day. I’m amazed at how many ways I use the features.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post