SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch? Login/Join 
posted
Has anybody moved from a nice mechanical to an Apple Watch?

Just curious what you have liked about the Apple Watch versus a nice mechanical watch? My wife wanted to buy me an Apple Watch, and it is somewhat intriguing. I like the idea of having texts, weather, navigation, etc. on my wrist. I'm also intrigued with apple's focus on health and fitness applications.

For those of you with an Apple Watch, do you like it?

I'm considering an Apple Watch Series 3, 42 mm space gray with cellular connection.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
batex,

No sourness directed at you, ok?

That said, I wouldn't wear such a device were it given to me.

No, not because I'm paranoid bout the gov tracking me.

I just like to keep things simple.

No smart phone either.

I actually wear a watch.

Posting here and email is as much technology as I want in my life, ah, except for tv. Yep, I like to watch 'Locked Up' and laugh at the vermin when they complain about...everything.

I've watch many an episode and not one of scuzbuckets has convinced me they should be free. Most though, seem to either be some form of sociopath or psychopath, mentally ill some other way or simply possess a very low I.Q.

They're right where they belong.

Problem is, some of them eventually get set free to once again become predators in the free world.

I just realized I'm ranting...rant off.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I actually went the opposite direction.

I bought an apple watch and used it for a couple months.
It was handy getting various notifications on my wrist...
but..
I had to charge that thing every night.
The concept of a watch that I could simply attach and forget began to grow on me.

So I ended up getting an auto-winding Victorinox and put the apple watch into a cabinet never to again see the light of day.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My "mechanical" watches are my nicer watches I wear only for dress occasions. (Well, not so much, now, cuz the batteries are all dead.)

My EDC watches have been relatively inexpensive LCD watches of some type or another for years. Usually Casios.

Switched to an Android watch (ASUS ZenWatch 2) a couple years ago. It was "ok." When we switched to Apple I got an Apple watch.

Love it. Blows the ZenWatch away in every respect. One of the handiest things is when I navigate with my iPhone. The watch buzzes my wrist on impending changes, and I can quickly and easily see the next upcoming change w/o taking my eyes much off the road.

Apple Pay. God, I love Apple Pay. Many other things. Can't think of 'em all, right now.

Oh yeah: And some cool watch faces Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it, but can't say I've ever owned a "nice" mechanical.

Best things are being able to glance at an incoming call or text and see if it's something that needs attention. Usually, it's not.

Tracking steps all day long is nice too.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
A mechanical watch will never go obsolete

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I actually will only wear a mechanical watch.

It's the only piece of "jewelry" I will wear.

For the mere fact it took a skilled craftsman to construct it.

I'm aware that modern CNC machines were used to construct the plates and bridges, but the skilled person had to assemble and adjust it.

Anything that uses batteries to operate it is merely an expensive container to store dead ones.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Is it really an either/or? Why not both?

I have some nice dress watches that I wear, but I use wear my Apple watch daily. It's perfect for mountain biking. I can monitor my time/heart rate/distance, change music, all without touching the phone in my pack. During business meetings I can glance at notifications without appearing to be staring at my phone.

I still like wearing a nice watch when I dress up, too.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have several nice watches, and now regularly wear an Apple Watch and love it. For formal occasions or when I dress up, I still wear a nice mechanical, but for every day now, the Apple is more comfortable and functional.

I have the Apple Watch 3 with LTE, but I didn’t activate the LTE.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Hand wind or automatic only for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I just moved to an apple watch from my other watches.

I have the series 3 42mm gray one as well, and honestly I love it. it allows me to see who is calling or texting without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. it lets me respond quickly if I need to or ignore it - which is more typical. it lets me get all the notifications I want like email and such, so I can decide if I need to respond or ignore it as well. for around the house, it also allows me to leave my phone somewhere and still get alerts. and helps me find my phone if I can't.

I honestly didn't think I'd like it that much, but my wife was very adamant that I'd like it, and I definitely do.

as for my watches, I sold off a couple not too long ago, but kept a couple of the nicer ones that were gifts and karmas. they either hold a personal, sentimental value and/or are for when I don't need or want the smart watch.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I love my apple watch. Helps me with exercise and weight loss. I got the stainless case and an aftermarket band that looks like a two tone oyster band. So from the side it looks very dressy. The old black out digital face not quite as nice as a dressy analog one.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Yes, for about 2.5 years and I'm back to a mechanical watch.

My main complaint was the battery life. I wanted something that would last a weekend plus without a recharge.

I'm back to my Eco-Drive and love it.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked one with a Gauss meter. The EMF readings were fairly high. Personally I am absolutely concerned about EM fields and their health effects.

At a shop I worked at, there was an older large commercial battery charger. If standing within 3' of that charger I felt very uncomfortable. Now that I have a meter I know the feelings are not just in my head.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I would never wear a "smart" watch; certainly not in place of a nice mechanical one. I think the Apple watch is hideous, especially on a man in anything other than gym clothes. (Obviously just my opinion)

On the ship, I wear a Timex Ironman. At home most times I'm wearing my Tag Carrera or Casio Protrek depending on my activities.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am contemplating doing the same thing. I have cut my watch collection down to 2 high end mechanical watches and one Luminox weekend knock around watch. I am extremely close to pulling the trigger, as I want the health tracking features. I just bought my wife one for Mother’s Day, and I have to say it pushed me even closer. I’ll be following this thread closely, and I am a little afraid that my others stay on the watch winder.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I went with the Samsung Gear S2. I now only wear my mechanical watches when dressing up.
The ability to make and receive calls and texts from the watch is very comforting. I rarely forget my phone at home but having the watch is peace of mind, when I do.
I like the step counter and the sleep pattern information. I can track my water intake, too.
It probably does 12 dozen other things but the above is enough.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does not interest me. I’m not into counting steps heart rate etc. also Apple watches and the like go obsolete.

BTW I’m currently wearing an Omega Dynamic with a ETA 2892 movement.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Apple Watch (from a SIGforum member) to see what the fuss was about.

It turns out that it's pretty handy. Texts, email notifications, etc. I use this type written communication a lot because I'm hearing impaired and telephone is a royal pain in the anatomy.

I pretty much wear it every work day.

I have a nice mechanical watch for dressier occasions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30660 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I tend to like a nice mechanical watch. For me it is a classic look.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post