SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unnecessarily Complicated New Cars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unnecessarily Complicated New Cars Login/Join 
posted
I had a 2006 4-Runner that I drove for ten years. Loved it. With the exception of the chapter on the automatic heating-cooling system, the owners manual was straight forward and helpful. Then I foolishly traded for a 2017 Outback. Nothing wrong with the Outback but the owners manual gives me a headache. Do will really need an audio system that takes up 60 or so pages in the owners manual? Do they really think we can remember that amount of detail, while dodging traffic?
Flew into Ft. Lauderdale this morning and picked up a rental car, a 2018 Ford Escape. A word to the wise about Lauderdale. Make sure you have adjusted all your mirrors and understand how the radio, cruise control, etc work before you exit the rental car parking deck because you exit the deck into 65-70 mph traffic. That is no time to realize there is a learning curve.
The current issue is the rear door locks. We discovered at dinner tonight, that when you reach your destination, the rear seat passengers were not able to exit the back seat because the rear doors could only be unlocked from the outside. We tried everything. I tried to unlock the doors from the switch on the driver's door. I tried to unlock them with the key fob. Each time it made the unlock click sound but the doors still could not be opened by the rear passengers. I took a deep breath and attempted to read the section on door locks in the manual. Nothing I read addressed the problem. So what happens in an accident, when the rear passengers are unable to exit the vehicle. Either this particular vehicle has a serious safety flaw or the sytem is so overly complicated, that the average person can't figure out the fix from reading the owners manual. What are the chances that when I turn the car in and tell them about it, anything will be done.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Look on the side edge (below the latch mechanism) of the door when it's open. There's a possibility that the switch for "child safety" is in the safe position. It's a sliding switch if I remember correctly.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The door lock issue sounds like child locks, usually there's a lever or little twist lock on the edge of the back seat doors next to the latch (it's on the part of the door you can't see with the door closed).

Most cars have come with this feature for a while but most people aren't aware it's there.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Child safety locks. It's to prevent your little kid from inadvertently opening the car door and tumbling out.

There are a lot of newfangled accessories and doohickeys on cars these days, but these aren't one of them. They've been prevalent for several decades now. However, if you don't have kids, you've probably never noticed them before, and had no reason to ever engage them.

Nearly all cars have a switch or other mechanism on the rear doors, near the latch, to engage/disengage them.

Here's how to turn them off in a 2018 Ford Escape, from the owner's manual:
quote:
Child Safety Locks

When these locks are set, the rear doors cannot be opened from the inside.

The childproof locks are located on the rear edge of each rear door and must be set separately for each door.

Left-Hand Side
Turn counterclockwise to lock and clockwise to unlock.

Right-Hand Side
Turn clockwise to lock and counterclockwise to unlock.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Open the back doors and look around the lock mechanism on the edge of the door. There should something marked "child safety" or something like that. Slide the lever or button to the other side.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A buddy who is 79 yoa just got a new Subaru Outback. His newest car to date is a 1990 Mercedes Benz and a mess of 1970-1990's Ford pickups on the Ranch.

I have a 2017 Chevrolet and a 2010 Honda, the Wife has a 2017 Honda. I had minimal issues figuring out how to set the radio, the clock, cruise control, locks, etc. Fairly intuitive.

But the Outback is different. It IS for some reason not at all intuitive and one does need the owners manual.

I surely like most of the modern "nannies" ,but I agree that they could be made easier to understand.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Yep, as others have said, either a child lock or this:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Pre-Lock Fords.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
So if the vehicle catches fire, you are supposed run around the burning vehicle, then access a keyhole and THEN you can open the door and free the humans trapped in the backseat?

Sound perfectly reasonable. Roll Eyes

On edit: Since I haven't seen a keyhole on a rear door in forever, did - "the rear doors could only be unlocked from the outside" - really mean "opened" from the outside?
(I still think an '03 Toyota is ahead of the game here)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
You don't want kids to open the back doors in the event of a fire. That would let in more oxygen.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Child safety locks?? Confused

I thought those were to keep Otis from getting away when Barney is giving him a lift to the jail.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Child safety locks?? Confused

I thought those were to keep Otis from getting away when Barney is giving him a lift to the jail.

Nope. They're to prevent dumbass kids from opening their doors and falling out of moving vehicles--something I saw in person a couple of times while working at a school.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a news article about a 72-year-old who accidentally locked himself in his 2007 Corvette and suffocated before he could be rescued:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ar-article-1.2253934

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
These stupid things have been around for years. They're on my 2001 Suburban. Most people are unaware that their vehicle has the "feature". Incredibly, they aren't government mandated. Auto makers decided people would appreciate having them.

Somehow, when I was a wee tad, I knew it was a bad idea to open the door of a moving vehicle. I also didn't have a child safety seat or wear a helmet and pads to bed or any of that type of stuff. Survival of the fittest was the name of the game. Wink

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our newer Chevy truck had a warning to check the backseat before leaving the vehicle, babies I guess. What is it coming to where we need a reminder to not forget the newborn?

It was funny for a while, I was able to disable it.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I prefer the Pre-Lock Fords.
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah. If the child lock is engaged, you can only open the door from outside.

I think my ‘01 Oldsmobile had this so it’s been around. I think my ‘00 Buick had them too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your rental got mixed up and you got an unEscape!

Child safety locks have been in vehicles since early 00's I think and that's almost definitely what this is.

And good news - your 2006 4Runner had this too - see page 24 (only 4 pages off from where it's described for a 2018 Escape):

Overly complicated child prisoner and abduction system controls

Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
that car is possessed

just leave it on a street corner and burn it to the ground,

be sure to dance around the flames with your underwear on your head and speaking in tongues to keep the spirits happy,,

just sayin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
So if the vehicle catches fire, you are supposed run around the burning vehicle, then access a keyhole and THEN you can open the door and free the humans trapped in the backseat?

Sound perfectly reasonable. Roll Eyes

On edit: Since I haven't seen a keyhole on a rear door in forever, did - "the rear doors could only be unlocked from the outside" - really mean "opened" from the outside?
(I still think an '03 Toyota is ahead of the game here)

No, you set them to the "open from the inside" position and it stays that way. And honestly, how many times have you been trapped in a burning car? Never?

These things are all pretty standard for cars made in the last five years.

They are more complicated than a twenty year-old car, but not abnormal for current cars.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post