SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mega millions winnings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mega millions winnings Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
With $800M your life would change as you know it. There is no "doing the same thing" or anything like that.

You'd have to go dark. Sell your house. Go into seclusion to keep the leaches at bay.

$800M cash would cause way more problems for you than it would solve.

A lot of truth in that.
Everyone could benefit from some more funds but that much will cause some attention and some of it not good.
As I recall I remember Para calling a lady an idiot for not wanting to take a NJ Lottery unless she could remain anonymous.
I don't blame her albeit I would (and I think she did) take the money anyway.
A couple Mil silently slipped into my checking account - I could live with that. Smile
A Bil $ is a whole 'nother animal. Eek
I'd spend the whole thing to make me be 25yrs old again. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What would I do?

Disappear after giving all close family / friends members between $500K and $2M. They would get half up front and the rest in 20 years, assuming they never again contact me for money - EVER.

I'd have a website where people could see who fucked up and lost the second half, which could be split by people who actually kept their mouths shut.

I'd blow about $250M on SpaceX to get a ride around the Earth or Moon on a rocket.

I'd build compounds in the mountains and by the ocean. Buy lots of guns and stuff. Give a bunch to charity.

Basically publicly give away / spend about 80% of it so I would just be a typical 'poor' millionaire.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

The wrinkle is that there could be multiple winners (there were 3 winners of the PowerBall $1.5 billion jackpot).

Buy 900 tickets with the same numbers. The odds of winning with 900 different sets of numbers is statistically insignificant compared to one set so you might as well get more of the pie. That would be cruel. Imagine if you won and then find out there were 901 winning tickets sold.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
What would I do?

Disappear after giving all close family / friends members between $500K and $2M. They would get half up front and the rest in 20 years, assuming they never again contact me for money - EVER.

I'd have a website where people could see who fucked up and lost the second half, which could be split by people who actually kept their mouths shut.

I'd blow about $250M on SpaceX to get a ride around the Earth or Moon on a rocket.

I'd build compounds in the mountains and by the ocean. Buy lots of guns and stuff. Give a bunch to charity.

Basically publicly give away / spend about 80% of it so I would just be a typical 'poor' millionaire.

Why wait so long? Set it up like Brewster’s Millions and have fun with it. Maybe even run for office and bow out. Vote none of the above.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can hire security. Then, you could hire security to watch your security.

800 million dollars? If you can't keep unwanted people away from you when you possess that degree of financial firepower, you're a genuine idiot, and no amount of money can help you with that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:

Buy 900 tickets with the same numbers. The odds of winning with 900 different sets of numbers is statistically insignificant compared to one set so you might as well get more of the pie. That would be cruel. Imagine if you won and then find out there were 901 winning tickets sold.
If you had 900 of the 901 winning tickets, you would have 99.89% of the jackpot, instead of 100%. I don't see the problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

If you had 900 of the 901 winning tickets, you would have 99.89% of the jackpot, instead of 100%. I don't see the problem.

I think he's talking about if you're the poor bastard with the other one!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the other guy.

There must be a limit to the number of tickets sold with the same combination. Even if you only had five numbers, you would still win $900 million.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

The wrinkle is that there could be multiple winners (there were 3 winners of the PowerBall $1.5 billion jackpot).

You are the kind of mathematician that the lottery relies on. Razz

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’d make sure my wife and family were secure. I’d help out a few friends that are hard working, honest and always there should I need them. A big chunk in investments and then I’d go dark so my epic bad decision making didn’t embarrass the family.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
After taking care of friends and family we'd give a goodly amount to both Hillsdale College and the Shriners Hospitals. There would be other charities and organizations in the mix to be decided on later.

As for our personnel indulgences, I'd find a home or property overlooking the Rockies in Montana and a condo in San Diego. That and rebuild or remodel our current home.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'd hire a private security firm to to secretly disperse and disband the the migrant caravan in Mexico. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
After taking care of friends and family we'd give a goodly amount to both Hillsdale College and the Shriners Hospitals. There would be other charities and organizations in the mix to be decided on later.

As for our personnel indulgences, I'd find a home or property overlooking the Rockies in Montana and a condo in San Diego. That and rebuild or remodel our current home.

Jim

As I fantasized I thought as well.....I'd give a big chunk to the Shriners. Good organization, helping kids in need.

I'd set up ALL of the 56 County Animal Shelters here in Montana. Upgrade and modernize them as well as put money towards good programs to help animals.

A person could do a lot of good with even 50 million.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You guys gave no idea how expensive it is being rich.

I’ve done pretty well being poor so it’s w$rth a try.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In an effort to not complicate things too much, I have only a 1/7th stake in 70 numbers split between the two lotteries. Unfortunately the other 6/7ths is held by physicians who are partners in the group that employs me. I should probably be discouraging that since if we win we'll be gutted.

I, of course, plan to keep working and just patch my roof, plant a tree and maybe buy a new Civic while living in the same location. Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
I’d buy the Royal Austrian Library.

That failing, I’d build my own awesome library, complete with a map & globe collection.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a giant camera for Para
Pentax K1 or two .

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp...roducts/k-1/special/

I want to say it was around ten grand , I could be wrong.

fat farm in AZ until late march early may then a fat farm in the midwest for the summer and then another fat farm back in AZ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you put 800 million into a bank account earning 2% you would have to spend 16 million dollars a year to break even Big Grin

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Buy most anything I want, do most anything I want to do, and give a bunch away to good people/causes.

The hardest part is trying to take care of family without turning them into worthless bastards. That would be the full time occupation.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Pay off my two brothers' houses, pay off a life-long friend's house, buy a house for my kids, and then disappear, change my name/phone number/everything, and distrust EVERYONE from that point forward.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post