SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I saw a Fisher the other night.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I saw a Fisher the other night. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
driving late at night in a remote ranch area. Pulled over to respond to a text.
Across the road on a hill a dark colored animal with a long tail and a long low profile appeared. Stopped, looked at me and then sped off at an incredible speed. It was a large male.

They are very secretive and allusive. They are pretty vicious as well. Feel fortunate to have witnessed one in the wild.

I also saw a marten recently Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
It could have been a chupacabra. Were you anywhere near Cuero , TX?

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Nope, it was a Fisher. I am sure.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I had one that would visit on a past bear hunt. He was a very strong animal, breaking into the bait cache moving big rocks and logs. I didn't have the heart to frustrate his efforts.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
they are impressive animals and like you mentioned...lightning quick especially when going after a squirrel in a tree...the squirrel doesn't stand a chance! I used to see them on a regular basis at my house...but it was weird, as my chicken population diminished to nothing, he stopped coming by....hmmmmmmm Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whereabouts are you old rugged cross?

I used to see fishers, and martens quite a bit when I hunted in Michigan’s UP.

Just last week on the way to my parents for thanksgiving we had one cross the road in front of us. Near Saginaw, MI.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
They often appear here in upstate ny.
The ones I've seen have very dark fur and are the size of a mink or large ferret.
Neat looking critters.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, seen them in Da U.P. of MI.

Where about are you? State? The other animal that may look similar, from a distance is an otter. The otter does travel over land a bit, but does have more slicked fur, not as fluffy.

I wonder how you know it was a male? Is that just by size or did you get up close & personal? They do often smell bad should you ever handle one. You may think you have a skunk.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It was a large male. No doubt that is was a Fisher

posted Hide Post
Behind my townhouse is a wooded area with a bowl shaped depression in it. When it is snow covered and there is moonlight, I watch this area from my second story window for night time wildlife. A couple of years ago I saw a Fisher working the area in search of food. Only saw him one night.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We saw a pair cross the road to attack a couple of Sandhill Cranes near Seney Wildlife Refuge in the Upper Peninsula. One of them brought a crane down, but ran when we approached.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post