SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some Cajun spice recommendations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some Cajun spice recommendations. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
For the work gift thingy, I drew a gentleman who lived for years in Louisiana. He is a big Cajun food fan and loves to grill. As I know next to nothing about Cajun spices, I need some help. Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
For the pre-blended variety, I like Old Bay and Tony Chachere’s.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
You might try to get some BeaZell's Cajun Seasoning for starters.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Andy Roo's Cajun Garlic and Voodo blends.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:

Michael

Old Bay in Louisiana Eek

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
https://magicseasoningblends.com/shop/

You will find happiness, here !

If not, then try here: http://www.justinwilson.com/Seasoning_c_12.html

i garontee ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After making five two-week visits to N.O. in my yout', the entirety of each trip getting around by bicycle, I've got this comment: you ask ten people what "cajun seasons" mean, and you'll get ten answers. I was primarily in restaurant work, did a lot of meeting with the locals, and everyone there in the F&B business seems to love talking about food and their recipes. The place is a veritable melting pot.

I recall more of a Greek influence in the places I favored.

According to Chowhound:

Ingredients (8)
6 tablespoons paprika.
1/4 cup kosher salt.
2 tablespoons ground black pepper.
2 tablespoons ground white pepper.
2 tablespoons garlic powder.
2 tablespoons onion powder.
1 tablespoon dried thyme.
1 tablespoon cayenne.

Hey, where's the brown sugar and molasses?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
After making five two-week visits to N.O. in my yout', the entirety of each trip getting around by bicycle, I've got this comment: you ask ten people what "cajun seasons" mean, and you'll get ten answers. I was primarily in restaurant work, did a lot of meeting with the locals, and everyone there in the F&B business seems to love talking about food and their recipes. The place is a veritable melting pot.

I recall more of a Greek influence in the places I favored.

According to Chowhound:

Ingredients (8)
6 tablespoons paprika.
1/4 cup kosher salt.
2 tablespoons ground black pepper.
2 tablespoons ground white pepper.
2 tablespoons garlic powder.
2 tablespoons onion powder.
1 tablespoon dried thyme.
1 tablespoon cayenne.

Hey, where's the brown sugar and molasses?

In New Orleans you would get more Creole food than Cajun. Go west and south to get real Cajun

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Probably one of the oldest and best known is Tony's it's kind of from the Cajun side of the state. Tony's

Louisiana Hot Sauce is good. I passed the plant two nights ago in New Iberia

Louisiana Hot Sauce.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

Michael

Old Bay in Louisiana Eek
You caught that too ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Slap Ya Mama mentioned by Gustofer is what we keep on hand most of the time, both the original and the white pepper version. It's available in most stores around here but you can order online to:
https://store.slapyamama.com/collections/frontpage

For something a little harder to find, you can get some Earl's Cajun Season-All from Earl's Cajun Market in Lafayette, LA: http://shop.earlscajunmarket.c...jun-season-all-16oz/

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
quote:

Michael

Old Bay in Louisiana Eek
You caught that too ...

It's Zatarans or nothing. Old Bay is for Yankees

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If I could offer a suggestion, it's to find something grill-spice related that's other than cajun. Like a steak seasoning, or other serious grill implement. You don't mention what part of the world y'all are in, but I'd consider something regional if he's a recent transplant.

Reason is if he's spent years in LA he's already got this sorted and will have tried most everything you pick from, and you have odds against you of finding something that he views as his top picks. Not saying he wouldn't appreciate the thought, but it won't get used.

I have this happen all the time. I'm a fairly serious smoker (food, not tobacco) and I've got a sister that is relentless in giving me another container of some salty/spicy/seasony smoking/grilling/praying rub. I will occasionally try an interesting one once, but have had zero of them that I've use for anything other than emergent need, and have stopped putting the unlikely candidates even in the cabinet, but pass them along or toss them. She, of course, knows none of this and I'd never let on.

YMMV

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
quote:

Michael

Old Bay in Louisiana Eek
You caught that too ...

It's Zatarans or nothing. Old Bay is for Yankees

Ha Wink I'm just in the landmass between AL and LA.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
For the work gift thingy, I drew a gentleman who lived for years in Louisiana.
Do you know which part of Louisiana? Might be something regional that would be more meaningful than Tony Chachere’s, Slap Ya Mamma, or Zatarain’s.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
If I could offer a suggestion, it's to find something grill-spice related that's other than cajun. Like a steak seasoning, or other serious grill implement. You don't mention what part of the world y'all are in, but I'd consider something regional if he's a recent transplant.

Reason is if he's spent years in LA he's already got this sorted and will have tried most everything you pick from, and you have odds against you of finding something that he views as his top picks. Not saying he wouldn't appreciate the thought, but it won't get used.

I have this happen all the time. I'm a fairly serious smoker (food, not tobacco) and I've got a sister that is relentless in giving me another container of some salty/spicy/seasony smoking/grilling/praying rub. I will occasionally try an interesting one once, but have had zero of them that I've use for anything other than emergent need, and have stopped putting the unlikely candidates even in the cabinet, but pass them along or toss them. She, of course, knows none of this and I'd never let on.

YMMV

I would echo that. When it comes to hobbies, most people already have their favorites if it's not something totally new to them. Maybe a gift certificate to The Spice House so he can pick out what he needs.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great place to order stuff from and very reasonably priced (I order about once a year). I prefer their products over almost all

They are based in Lake Providence, LA

http://www.panolapepper.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a cookbook? La Bouche Creole by Leon E Soniat,Jr. is the one my mother gave my wife when we were married. We have also gifted it to many friends.

My wife's store-bought seasonings include Tony's, Cajun's Choice, Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends and Emeril's Fish Rub and Original Essence.

Don't forget the file.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post