SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some Cajun spice recommendations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some Cajun spice recommendations. Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tony Chachere's - I prefer the Bold one. Goes on almost everything.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Tony's for me.

Hot sauce, I've always preferred Louisiana or Crystal's to Tabasco.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
For the pre-blended variety, I like Old Bay and Tony Chachere’s.

Michael

Old Bay in Louisiana Eek
You caught that too ...

It's Zatarans or nothing. Old Bay is for Yankees

Ha Wink I'm just in the landmass between AL and LA.

Michael

My cousin lives in Bay St. Louis and I went to visit her last year and she took me to a place in Gulfport to eat some boiled Crawfish. She's lived across the road from me all her life before moving to MS a couple years ago and when we got to the restaurant to order our Crawfish the girl asked if we wanted the regular or spicy Crawfish. Brenda laughed and told her we were from LA and wanted the spicy. Brenda and been there before and had them. Hardly any spice and not much taste.

Then this year my girlfriend and I were at the Hard Rock in Biloxi and were going to get something to eat. I was seeing all the shrimp boats coming in and said good I can get some shrimp. Well they had some really nice lookng boiled shrimp and when I started peeling and eating them they sucked. They would have had more seasoning in them if they had boiled them in the Gulf water. No salt not much of anything else. I told our server jokingly that it was against the law to do that to a shrimp in LA.

I guess they have to cook for the folks coming to the coast from other places. A few miles can make a big difference

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using this for 20 years or so: http://store.nosoc.com/joes-stuff-21-oz/

I can't say how it compares to some of seasonings that have also been listed. I may have to look some of them up and give them a try too.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Go with a gift card if that's an option. I've got a cabinet full of little gift bbq spices.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I like the gift certificate route but I’m looking at some of the suggested spices for us - Slap Yo Mama aside as we already have and use it.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
I've been using this for 20 years or so: http://store.nosoc.com/joes-stuff-21-oz/

I can't say how it compares to some of seasonings that have also been listed. I may have to look some of them up and give them a try too.

Never hear of that. But I guess you like it if you've been using it for 20 years

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Tony Chachere’s and Cholula's hot sauce.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
And if you get Tony's don't go for that No Salt version. It's nasty.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
You might try to get some BeaZell's Cajun Seasoning for starters.

Not so sure that Beazell's is still in business. Their website isn't available, even their FB page is down. I'll send a message to Hollyn and ask her what's going on.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
If your friend likes to grill...

Not Cajun but a great gift for spices. We've tried all of them and they are all good.

Special Shit

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Try this, good stuff:

http://www.raginblaze.com/products.html

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

Never hear of that. But I guess you like it if you've been using it for 20 years

I first started using it after a friend of a friend brought some back from NOLA for him.

I passed through NOLA myself in 2001 or so and brought back some Joe's Stuff for me and a gallon glass jug of Tabasco for my grandpa who put it on everything. A gallon of Tabasco sure was a lot of refills for a standard bottle.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys forgot the one that put Louissiana on the map:
Prudhomme's blackened redfish magic (or any of Paul Prudhommes Blackening spices)

Then Tony's and Zatarans…….. I have LA customers and they put Tonys on damn near everything. Crystal hot sauce is popular there also.

The trick with doing crawfish is you have to use the zatarans bag of spices (which I boil about 30 mins before putting the crawfish in) and about half a bottle of the liquid concentrate of Zatarans then you get very flavorful crawfish.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s an entry from East Texas:

http://howiesdust.com/home

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post