SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long does it take for a GSD and Black Mouth Cur to eat a 18oz steak when your back is turned?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does it take for a GSD and Black Mouth Cur to eat a 18oz steak when your back is turned? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Our late GSD was good about leaving food alone that wasn't hers but she absolutely loved her food. She got a steady diet of anything my buddy who worked the meat counter st a local grocer had to throw out due to expiration. She dined on such delicacies like scallops, swordfish, every cut of pork and fowl you can imagine, and lots of other fish. Beef products where few as they apparently got "repurposed" into marinated meats.

But I once dog sat for my sister and one of her giant schnauzers stole an entire chicken off the counter.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
This guy once took a ham off of the counter, fresh out of the oven and took shark sized bites out of it in about 8 seconds.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky39:
We've got a Chocolate Lab who has an affinity for butter. Paula Deen would both love and hate him. He managed to snag 2 or 3 sticks of butter in a couple seconds. We have to keep a close eye on him when the butter is out as he is on the prowl.

We had a hottie/lab with the same issue, we called him the butter bandit. On the advice of a friend we cut a stick the long way, dug out a little, added cayanne pepper and put it back together...that was the last stick of butter he ever touched!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Steak?

What steak?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I know a Ridgeback can eat one in the blink of an eye

My Ridgie has at various times snagged: a loaf of freshly baked bread, 8 marinating pork chops, a light bulb (glass only), a pound of butter, an untold number of sandwiches, half a Costco pepperoni pizza. You think we'd learn.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I had a Rottweiler and a roommate.

My roommate won a burrito eating contest at a local minor league hockey game.

I bet my roommate a case of beer my Rottie could eat a burrito faster than him.

I got my case of beer. I don't think my Rottie took a bite, just swallowed it whole.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
It's a very difficult question to answer, because, physically, the steak is already consumed by the time the light travels from the pooch across the room to your eyes so that you even know the event has occurred. It's faster than your nerves and brain can process. Because of our current understanding of physics, we can deduce what had occurred, but to an observer, it's as if the steak has simply blinked out of existence.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can verify that an Old English Sheepdog can eat a steak in about 4 microseconds. It was on the plate, it was gone. Only thing that gave a clue was that Alfie was still licking his chops for about 30 seconds after inhaling the meat.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
My Golden ate a slice of pizza once. One of those New York style slices that are huge and usually eaten folded in half. Right off my wife's plate. She got up to grab the remote turned around just in time to see it disappear. Amazing how a dog can do that shit without choking to death.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Haha. My dogs are good about the counter, but they're very interested. We don't generally leave anything unattended just in case. Especially at dog level.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I can verify that an Old English Sheepdog can eat a steak in about 4 microseconds. It was on the plate, it was gone. Only thing that gave a clue was that Alfie was still licking his chops for about 30 seconds after inhaling the meat.

I had an Old English... Pretty amazing dog. Don't let it get skunked though, nothing works on that fur monster but shaving it down!

She used to herd everyone, and they are very territorial, none of my siblings were allowed into the other siblings bedrooms. If I went in one their rooms or they came into mine she would bark like crazy because she knew that wasnt your room. Super smart, very protective and aggressive with anyone she didn't know. Anyone she did know was fine, no problem. Ran like a big furry bear

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Back in the day I had a Rottweiler and a roommate.

My roommate won a burrito eating contest at a local minor league hockey game.

I bet my roommate a case of beer my Rottie could eat a burrito faster than him.

I got my case of beer. I don't think my Rottie took a bite, just swallowed it whole.

Jesus. Rottweiler farts after a burrito. Doesn't even bear thinking about...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I have a beer hound.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Steak?

What steak?

"Steak?"

"I thought it wuz "stick", so I fetched it!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I lost 3 of 5 pounds of ground round that I was frying on the stove top. Out of a hot frying pan! With the heat on! He stood on back legs, paws on either side of a hot frying pan! Not just starting to cook, but almost done!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spooky39
posted Hide Post
So for future reference.... For those that had their dogs scarf down raw meat products, especially chicken, did you take any courses of action following those incidents? Any concern for bacteria crap? Just expect a couple maybe heinous BMs or a round or two of baring? Anyone have to deal with consumed bone-in products? I ask because I have an 80 lb Chocolate Lab (2yo) and a 40 lb Australian Cattle Dog (1.5yo). Working on training them, but they are young, thick-headed, and driven (part of the positives of their breeds). Thanks!

Mike

Green Light!

Posts: 508 | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So for future reference.... For those that had their dogs scarf down raw meat products, especially chicken, did you take any courses of action following those incidents? Any concern for bacteria crap? Just expect a couple maybe heinous BMs or a round or two of baring? Anyone have to deal with consumed bone-in products? I ask because I have an 80 lb Chocolate Lab (2yo) and a 40 lb Australian Cattle Dog (1.5yo). Working on training them, but they are young, thick-headed, and driven (part of the positives of their breeds). Thanks!

Mike

Mike

My uncle has 2 wolf hybrids that he feeds raw, bone in chicken. One of them is 6 or 7 years old. They don't seem to have any problems. Two things to note: this is their steady diet so it is not an abrupt shock to their system and they are outside dogs so minor upset stomach issues might not be noticed.

RonBot

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Aside from excessive drooling and demanding more with vicious nose jabbings while we ate, no problems.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

I think it depends on what the dogs are used to. Fresh, raw meat is far from the worst thing my dogs eat. They regularly drag thoroughly rotten carcasses of deer, hogs, javelina and aoudad up to the barn and eat on them until I find out and take them away. I've seldom observed any unusual results aside from turds with lots of hair incorporated into them.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
I lost 3 of 5 pounds of ground round that I was frying on the stove top. Out of a hot frying pan! With the heat on! He stood on back legs, paws on either side of a hot frying pan! Not just starting to cook, but almost done!

Wait. You still used the remaining 2 pounds of ground beef? Confused

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post