SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    19 inch wheels vs 18 in wheels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

19 inch wheels vs 18 in wheels Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Scarcity also not a concern these days in anything but exotic sized.

Tirerack shows that car only with 19s, and lists 10 all season and 6 truck tires, in addition to 3 dedicated winters and 3 summers. Price ranges from $130-$235.

And they don't even carry every brand.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My car, a Mazda 6 has 19" wheels. They drive fine, and the tires aren't so low that they have a harsh feel, but the tires are noticeably more expensive than for 17" or 18" wheels. They just do it for looks - people like bigger wheels.

No way would I replace them though, just for a different size. The cost would make that a losing proposition.

Unless you can trade them to a guy looking for some sweet rims on his minivan.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
...but the lighter the wheel, the less unsprung weight, the better the ride and handling.)

Well said.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Go with the 18’s. Plenty of rim/tire calculators so speedo stays the same. More sidewall and 18’s are less expensive. Also OEM wheels are heavy as hell so prime opportunity to drop unsprung weight, increase handling and have a better ride. 19’s were put on there for looks only.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I think you will easily spend $800 on aftermarket 18 wheels and $800 or more on tires. Resale on your new takeoffs will be low. Brake caliper clearance must be checked carefully and 18 may not fit.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a downside. yes money. is there an upside probably not. I can't think of any reason to do it on that particular vehicle.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I think you will easily spend $800 on aftermarket 18 wheels and $800 or more on tires. Resale on your new takeoffs will be low. Brake caliper clearance must be checked carefully and 18 may not fit.

My newest car came with 19” 235/35/19’s. I sold the 19” wheels for 1k. Sold the tires for $600. Wheels/tires had 1190 miles on them when I sold. 18” aftermarket wheels weighed 7 lbs less, bought for $170 each. Profit $320. Tires were a wash. So I made money doing the swap. Took the profit and bought a second set of wheels and tires for winters. The trick is to sell them early. Don’t rack up 10k miles and expect to get much of anything. They are worth something when new. I went to 235/40/18’s, speedo is exactly the same. Suspension more compliant, and dropped 8 lbs per corner of unsprung mass for free basically.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why change them? The 19's will ride just as nice as the 18's and handle a little better. I'd leave it well enough alone. My 2018 Expedition came with 20" on it from the factory and rides and handles a hell of a lot better than my 2008 did with 17" wheels. Technology in tire design and ride have come a very long way.

Vehicle engineers put a lot of thought into designing suspensions, brakes, and what tire size they pair with them. Also, 18" wheels might not clear the brakes on this model and that's why they went to 19's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
My Yukon came with 22s. Rides and handles just fine.

Same here.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
According to the Ford FLEET vehicle website

https://www.fleet.ford.com/res...2019/2019_Escape.pdf

18" wheels are available.

That may mean the fleet ones have downgraded brakes, but they are out there, apparently.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It is funny the trending that wheels have taken over the years. My 1998 Mercedes e430 has 16" wheels!

A few folks have told me I should seek a larger wheel and use a smaller sidewall tire to equalize. No thanks. It rides great, and handles very well (not BMW 335i well, but well enough). The MB e class is a highway cruiser, so hard sidewalls and handling weren't necessary I guess. Though I'm sure they've caved to the "big wheel" trend on the newer stuff and added thousands of dollars with of active suspension to adjust the ride.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Brings up a question about my Ford Flex which has 19" wheels.. I wonder if I down sized to 18" if a real 18" wheel would fit in the space for the spare in the back. The designers at Ford for this car only made that space large enough for one of those stupid donut things... ever tried to drive an all wheel drive vehicle with one donut? Computer goes crazy and the car drives terrible.. then if you have ripped the side off the 19" tire you have to buy at least two new ones....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Brings up a question about my Ford Flex which has 19" wheels.. I wonder if I down sized to 18" if a real 18" wheel would fit in the space for the spare in the back. The designers at Ford for this car only made that space large enough for one of those stupid donut things... ever tried to drive an all wheel drive vehicle with one donut? Computer goes crazy and the car drives terrible.. then if you have ripped the side off the 19" tire you have to buy at least two new ones....

For it to be proper, you'd have to go with a higher aspect ratio on the 18s for the speedometer to be accurate.
And, you'd likely have to go with a pretty low profile 'spare' for it to fit in the spare tire well.

Been a while since I've checked the spare in our Flex, will have to do that tonight.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

The circumference is already going to fit I suspect. The issue you'll have is width. Those space-savers are super-skinny, real tires not.

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Just ask the dealer to swap the 19's with some 18's on a 2018 on the lot.

You get the 18's for no additional cost and whoever buys the 2018 gets a free upgrade to the 19's.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
19 inch wheels that came on an Audi Quarto S-5 and the rims were regularly destroyed by pot holes

One day I had a Krystal burger which sucked, and no longer eat steak because of that.

Seriously, the tires on an S5 have as much relation to what the OP is discussing as this. If you drove an S5 you are presumably tire-savvy enough to know this.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Actual experience between the two here...

We have an Escape Titanium with the 18s. MIL got the Escape Sport package with the 19s. Same suspension, same engine.

I find with vigorous driving, the 19s seems a bit more responsive. Maybe it's the stiffer sidewall, maybe it was me... but there was a difference.
On the flip side, I prefer the 18s on ours for everyday driving. Just a little more comfortable, more forgiving you could say.

This is my experience, but my wife feels similar. She originally wanted the rims the MIL got, but after driving the two, she's glad hers came with the 18s.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post