SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Little Planet Factory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little Planet Factory Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I discovered this site through my Tumblr feed. It's a company that creates scale versions of heavenly bodies to sell to the public. Unfortunately, they've suspended sales due to a backlog of orders. Even then, I thought this would be something someone here might find interesting enough to keep an eye on:

https://www.littleplanetfactory.com/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
That is something I would buy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
That is something I would buy.

I don't know why, but I think I would too.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That is out of this world. I want.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how much they were when they were available? There are no prices on their website that I can see, maybe because they have suspended sales.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2017/...ttle-planet-factory/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I got a set before they were cool. Wink

They make good stuff, hopefully they get production up to take and fill more orders.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Does anyone know how much they were when they were available? There are no prices on their website that I can see, maybe because they have suspended sales.

It really depends on the size of the item. They make all the planets in various sizes, from the ones in my bottle to basket ball size.

IIRC, the BIG ones are in the $100-250 range, depending on the planet and the details.

But the handsize ones were reasonable, thinking $10-50, depending on what you are ordering.

I can't find my email receipt, but I think the one I bought was in the $40 range for the bottle and 8 planets - they also included a second tiny bottle inside the first with Earth, Mars, Venus, and Mercury inside - along with a warning to not take them out unless you are REALLY careful, as many people had lost the 4 terrestrial planets.

I still haven't taken those 4 out. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Figure the scale of the small set, then calculate the distance from the Sun to Pluto, and you will be in awe of the actual distance of that scale.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Figure the scale of the small set, then calculate the distance from the Sun to Pluto, and you will be in awe of the actual distance of that scale.

For the interested, here ya go: If the moon were one pixel on your screen

Would be cool to have the planets in a bottle as shown in the above post. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Whats your Tumblr url, orguss?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are great.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Look at the page where they feature the sun, Jupiter, and Earth.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool!

I would buy a set.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jupiter has a strip of bacon wrapped it towards the top.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I want a set of those!!!!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post