SIGforum
Little Planet Factory

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8010058524

June 16, 2017, 07:01 PM
Orguss
Little Planet Factory
I discovered this site through my Tumblr feed. It's a company that creates scale versions of heavenly bodies to sell to the public. Unfortunately, they've suspended sales due to a backlog of orders. Even then, I thought this would be something someone here might find interesting enough to keep an eye on:

https://www.littleplanetfactory.com/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 16, 2017, 07:06 PM
rtquig
That is something I would buy.

Living the Dream
June 16, 2017, 07:08 PM
Muddflap
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
That is something I would buy.

I don't know why, but I think I would too.
June 16, 2017, 07:16 PM
Skins2881
That is out of this world. I want.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
June 16, 2017, 07:19 PM
deepocean
Does anyone know how much they were when they were available? There are no prices on their website that I can see, maybe because they have suspended sales.
June 16, 2017, 07:48 PM
Orguss
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2017/...ttle-planet-factory/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 16, 2017, 08:07 PM
RHINOWSO
I got a set before they were cool. Wink

They make good stuff, hopefully they get production up to take and fill more orders.
June 16, 2017, 08:11 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Does anyone know how much they were when they were available? There are no prices on their website that I can see, maybe because they have suspended sales.

It really depends on the size of the item. They make all the planets in various sizes, from the ones in my bottle to basket ball size.

IIRC, the BIG ones are in the $100-250 range, depending on the planet and the details.

But the handsize ones were reasonable, thinking $10-50, depending on what you are ordering.

I can't find my email receipt, but I think the one I bought was in the $40 range for the bottle and 8 planets - they also included a second tiny bottle inside the first with Earth, Mars, Venus, and Mercury inside - along with a warning to not take them out unless you are REALLY careful, as many people had lost the 4 terrestrial planets.

I still haven't taken those 4 out. Wink
June 16, 2017, 10:04 PM
sigmonkey
Figure the scale of the small set, then calculate the distance from the Sun to Pluto, and you will be in awe of the actual distance of that scale.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
June 16, 2017, 10:11 PM
apprentice
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Figure the scale of the small set, then calculate the distance from the Sun to Pluto, and you will be in awe of the actual distance of that scale.

For the interested, here ya go: If the moon were one pixel on your screen

Would be cool to have the planets in a bottle as shown in the above post. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,
June 16, 2017, 10:18 PM
PorterN
Whats your Tumblr url, orguss?

June 16, 2017, 11:42 PM
46and2
Yeah, those are great.
June 17, 2017, 05:18 AM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Look at the page where they feature the sun, Jupiter, and Earth.

June 17, 2017, 07:26 AM
Warhorse
Pretty cool!

I would buy a set.

June 17, 2017, 07:35 AM
Marlin Fan
Jupiter has a strip of bacon wrapped it towards the top.
June 18, 2017, 11:28 PM
PowerBook
I want a set of those!!!!