SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kirkland Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kirkland Batteries Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Let us know! I know that when I slowly switched (a few years back now. like you), the Energizers drained quickly in storage (for me). Less than a year later, I would pull them out of the drawer, tested them, and I was very disappointed.

But that was before everyone was aware of the self-discharge rates (or at least not everyone was marketing their batteries that way).

Tenergy was same thing for me. So I had crossed both of them off the list, but a reformulation since then might sway me.

Sicne I have some many remotes, flashlights (me), and toys and cars (9 and 10-year kids), I never have enough AA and AAA rechargeables.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I've always bought the bulk Duracell packs from Costco, but just checked out the Kirkland prices online. It's enough of savings to try them out. Pretty much every kids toy in the house runs on AA or AAAs.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Just get the free ones at Harbor Freight. They don't last long enough to leak.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Put me some in my the eneloop camp. They are the best batteries I have ever ever used. I have used them for years. I believe amazon has some eneloops branded under their basics brand as well.

And they're usually sold at Costco. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Another happy Eneloop user. I use a old version of the LaCrosse Battery Charger for maintenance.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience in the past few years with the Duracell batteries from Costco. I only recall buying the Kirkland brand once and that was a few years ago but do not recall any of them leaking prior to or while using them. The Duracells on the other hand while performing decently powerwise have leaked both in a device (Fenix E21 which ruined the cap switch) and just sitting in the package over time. We store them in the laundry room so I'm wondering if the moisture from the laundering might be contributing. The Duracells seem to have gotten better recently though. Maybe they had some production / batch issues.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Just get the free ones at Harbor Freight. They don't last long enough to leak.

LOLOLOLOLOL just like most of the quality of Harbor Freight stuff.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Third time/batch I had Kirkland AA batteries leak I couldn't justify the cost 'savings' anymore. Now we buy Duracells from Costco, and no problems yet. If they do we'll switch to Energizer from Sam's.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Maybe I got a bad batch, but all the Kirkland alkalines I bought leaked both while in the device and in storage. Mad

There's a lot of info on other websites that supports the claim that Kirkland batteries are made by Duracell. There are also lots of complaints of leakage from both Kirkland and Duracell.

Laugh all you want, but I've had surprisingly good luck w/ the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty batteries I got for free w/ coupons. I don't use them in any high discharge devices though.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the price comparison from Kirkland, but I've been buying the Amazon brand batteries for a few years now and have never had an issue with leaking. The Duracells I had in the electronic locks on my house pretty much all leaked. Sounds like I need to up my game with some rechargeables.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Due to the poor quality of kirkland brand batteries, I switched to two types of batteries.

Carbon zinc from the dollar store for remotes and low power devices or Enloop rechargeable for everything else.

No more leaks.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
I don't use Kirkland but the last blister pack of Duracells were HORRIBLE. Found one device with leaking batteries (duracell) then checked four more...ALL devices had leakers (duracell)

I'm off duracells

Rayovac blisterpacs have been great. Long life and no leaks.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have always used Energizers and Ray O Vac on occasion.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The last two packs of Duracells leaked and messed up the devices they were in (flashlights, tv remotes). Duracells have gone down hill and are dead to me.

I replaced them all with Panasonic Eneloop batteries. They are low discharge, so they last a long time between charges, and they dont leak.

I now buy the cheap dollar store batteries for the kids toys. EVERYTHING else gets Eneloops, while the critical flashlights get lithium.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Maybe I got a bad batch, but all the Kirkland alkalines I bought leaked both while in the device and in storage. Mad

That's what happened to us. So, first it was "No more Kirkland batteries" then, when I had Duracells leak in devices, no more Duracells, either. No more alkaleaks of any brand. Period.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
EVERYTHING else gets Eneloops, while the critical flashlights get lithium.

Critical flashlights - incl. weapons lights, electronic hearing protection and a few things that get used very, very infrequently get lithium batteries, here.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't recall any AA or AAA battery leaking on me ever. Only once with D batteries that sat for years inside an LED lantern.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've been buying Amazon Basic batteries in "AA' and "AAA". Seem to be ok for what I use them in.

I had a set of Energizer leak a kill a Nikon Flash. Should have know to only use rechargeable in it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 48 AAs from Amazon (Amazon basics brand) for $12. Amazon Basics has lots of nice stuff like cell phone chargers, power strips, and even umbrellas for a really fair price. Their car charger for my iPhone 7 can charge my phone from completely dead to fully charged in around an hour. It's very fast and great to have at work in my squad car.

I've always had good luck with Kirkland stuff so I'm sure the batteries are solid, too. Love their clothing.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Kirkland AA battery leak and I use a bunch of their AA batteries. The only batteries I've had any leaks with are D batteries. Doesn't matter what brand, but the Duracells I put in my almost new lantern leaked in less than 3 months, ruining the lantern. The new one has Energizers in it right now. I check it weekly, and the last set of Energizers lasted about 6 months before they started to leak.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post