SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kirkland Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kirkland Batteries Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
What do we think of Costco's Kirkland batteries? I go through a lot of AA,AAA, 9V and Dcell batteries. If they are prone to leakage I'm not interested. Thanks Gene

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I stopped using their AA batteries due to leakage so now I buy the Duracells from Costco. The Duracells have leaked as well so I don't know if it makes a difference. A few years ago, the Kirkland batteries were rated very high in Consumer's Report.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got hundreds of AA and AAA in storage, some at least 10 years old. Still good as new.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
There are numerous battery tests on Youtube including Kirklands.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I think the Kirkland batteries are fine to use. The price is good and they hold up. Just yesterday I put 4 AAA Kirkland batteries in a Duracell flashlight that came with Duracell batteries and they leaked. The flashlight was in my gun safe for about 6 months when this happened.
At times I have bought the Duracell battery packs at Costco when they are on sale.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on kirkland batteries. But I too have had a handful of AA and AAA batteries (duracell) leak over the past 2 years, when they NEVER used to. Duracell will replace an item if their battery leaks, is in date, and destroys the item.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Duracell will replace an item if their battery leaks, is in date, and destroys the item.

That is helpful information. Is that an unwritten warranty?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Duracell will replace an item if their battery leaks, is in date, and destroys the item.

That is helpful information. Is that an unwritten warranty?

Sent me a check for $50.00 and a coupon to replace the leaky batteries, about half the cost to replace my Apple wireless keyboard with a used one. Doesn't sound like a great deal until you know the batteries that leaked were 10 years old, so I was more than happy. Customer for life here.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Only batteries I have had leak were in the device for at least 10 years, and that was about 6-8 years ago. Wife buys duracell batteries at Costco in those large packs, must be about 40 batteries, or more, in them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Costco doesn't say who makes the Kirkland products, but is it possible Duracell makes their Kirkland batteries?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're using lots of AA and AAA batteries you might want to look into eneloop batteries. Recharable, holds a charge for a long time and I've never had a leak...

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Costco doesn't say who makes the Kirkland products, but is it possible Duracell makes their Kirkland batteries?

It is easily possible! They would not be the first company to sell their products with different names, especially to big outfits like Walmart, Costco, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

It is easily possible! They would not be the first company to sell their products with different names, especially to big outfits like Walmart, Costco, etc.

Possible, but CR did a test on AA's a few years ago and Kirkland did not perform as well as Duracell, who was #1.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
quote:

Possible, but CR did a test on AA's a few years ago and Kirkland did not perform as well as Duracell, who was #1.

They could be made by a variety of firms, but most likely made to Costco specs, not necessarily the brand name specs.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
quote:

I have a Garmin handheld GPS that I use on deliveries (trips) all day, everyday. It only takes 2 AA batteries. Duracells last 16 hours in it. Everything else, including eveready's only last 12 hours......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aldi has their own brand of AA and AAA batteries that are surprisingly good and are ridiculously low in price like all things Aldi. I think an 8-pack is like $2.50!

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything in my house AA or AAA now has Eneloops. I've never had one leak, they are cost-effective, reliable, perform, and hold their charge. I won;t buy any other rechargeable now (gone through too many brands to count).

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I won't use alkaleaks any more. Too many have leaked-- even Duracell's. Even before I stopped using alkaleaks entirely, I stopped using Kirkland brand. Terrible batteries that are quick to die and leak, IME.

I now use nothing but Eneloop and Energizer rechargeables, and Energizer lithiums.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They are good to go and should be made in the US. I actually switch to them because the duracell's I bought a Costco leak over three different batches.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Everything in my house AA or AAA now has Eneloops. I've never had one leak, they are cost-effective, reliable, perform, and hold their charge. I won;t buy any other rechargeable now (gone through too many brands to count).

Somebody, somebody reputable--I recall not whom, now, tested a raft of rechargeable batteries. Eneloop came out very well, but, Energizers came out best in their tests.

I bought two packs of eight AAs. I'll see which hold up best.

I've been using up the alkaleaks and buying rechargeable and lithium batteries for... I guess about two years, by now? Maybe three? I've yet to be given cause to have regretted going this way. Especially every time I have to put a fresh set in my universal remote (goes through batteries like water) or find I again neglected to turn the light off over the safe and have to put a fresh set in that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post