SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FedEx Ground will soon be changing its delivery schedule:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FedEx Ground will soon be changing its delivery schedule: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Beginning in just over a week, the Home Delivery service will now be conducted alongside Ground service Monday through Friday instead of the Tuesday through Saturday schedule it's had for years. There will still be Home Delivery-only service on Saturdays but it will be significantly reduced in volume.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind this policy change but I wanted to pass it along so people weren't blind-sided.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Of course FEDEX will continue arriving at random times during the day, an average of 9.6 minutes after you gave up waiting and left to get your child from soccer practice. This ensures that you will have at least a one day delay in getting your package.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Of course FEDEX will continue arriving at random times during the day, an average of 9.6 minutes after you gave up waiting and left to get your child from soccer practice. This ensures that you will have at least a one day delay in getting your package.

If you're willing to pay Fedex Express not Ground for specific delivery times it can be made to fit your schedule more depending on where you live. Priority Overnight is delivery by 10:30 AM,and Standard Overnight is by 2:00 PM in many areas unless you live in a rural area.
It's going to cost you so you have to decide if it's worth your time. The only packages that should be delayed because no one is home are packages that require a signature otherwise it should be left.

Most people don't comprehend the logistics that are involved in moving millions of packages through a system and getting that package delivered across the country or internationally even the next day or in two days.

Fed Ex Ground and Federal Express operate on entirely different platforms. When Federal Express bought RPS and branded it Fed Ex Ground it was a mistake. No one differentiates between the two any longer. Federal Express has a stellar delivery service percentage. They usually run 99% on time delivery rates for their Priority Overnight and Standard Overnight services outside of weather delays.

Fed Ex Ground though much improved over the years had a horrendous start up and it hurt the brand overall.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fed Ex Home delivery is going to be 3 days late for me. The package has been sitting in their depot facility for 2 days now.

The package made it across the US from California in record time and then all of a sudden- it stops?

It's only in Maryland.

Posts: 25 | Location: Glenolden, Pa. | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beginning in just over a week, the Home Delivery service will now be conducted alongside Ground service Monday through Friday instead of the Tuesday through Saturday schedule it's had for years. There will still be Home Delivery-only service on Saturdays but it will be significantly reduced in volume

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you rephrase that so I can understand? I get Fedex Air and Fedex Ground at my office so I guess that will remain the same.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

If you're willing to pay Fedex Express not Ground for specific delivery times it can be made to fit your schedule more depending on where you live. Priority Overnight is delivery by 10:30 AM,and Standard Overnight is by 2:00 PM in many areas unless you live in a rural area.
It's going to cost you so you have to decide if it's worth your time. The only packages that should be delayed because no one is home are packages that require a signature otherwise it should be left.

Most people don't comprehend the logistics that are involved in moving millions of packages through a system and getting that package delivered across the country or internationally even the next day or in two days.

Fed Ex Ground and Federal Express operate on entirely different platforms. When Federal Express bought RPS and branded it Fed Ex Ground it was a mistake. No one differentiates between the two any longer. Federal Express has a stellar delivery service percentage. They usually run 99% on time delivery rates for their Priority Overnight and Standard Overnight services outside of weather delays.

Fed Ex Ground though much improved over the years had a horrendous start up and it hurt the brand overall.

Fedex is the only delivery company I have dealt with which routinely holds packages until the delivery date if they arrive at the hub early. It is seriously annoying to have a package sit locally for a day or two.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I have been able to deal with some Fed Ex drivers and all went well, if I was not home he would sign my name and put in inside my shop.

The next driver was afraid to drive down my private road because her tires were not good so I would have to go to town to pick them up. Thankfully she is gone!

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

Fedex is the only delivery company I have dealt with which routinely holds packages until the delivery date if they arrive at the hub early. It is seriously annoying to have a package sit locally for a day or two.

To be fair, that's to prevent people from gaming the system: pay for a slower delivery counting on FedEx's efficiency.

FedEx isn't the only company purposefully cutting down what you get to what you pay for. Most products sold by a company at different price points are actually the same product. The difference in the low price models is an extra step to disable the premium features.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be fair, that's to prevent people from gaming the system: pay for a slower delivery counting on FedEx's efficiency.
Let me tell you how that efficiency worked out for me. A little over a year I ago ordered $680 worth of AR parts. It sat in a FedEx distribution center warehouse 20 miles from my house long enough to grow legs right out the door. It than took them weeks after contacted to tell me they can't find it. Screw FedEx.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

In years past, companies took pride in exceeding expectations. Then efficiency experts came along and taught them they were wasting money doing that. As far as gaming the system, the times this has happened, I had no choice in the method of shipping.

I prefer not to deal with companies that have it within their power to make things better, but choose not to. That kind of attitude in my experience is generally a precursor to a loss of market share and other business problems.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
For some reason I think they are still missing a hugely profitable opportunity somewhere Roll Eyes

FedEx SameDay®
FedEx SameDay® City
FedEx First Overnight®
FedEx Priority Overnight®
FedEx Standard Overnight®
FedEx 2Day® A.M.
FedEx 2Day®
FedEx Express Saver®
FedEx Ground®
FedEx Home Delivery®
FedEx SmartPost®
FedEx Custom Critical®
FedEx SameDay® Freight
FedEx SameDay® City
FedEx First Overnight® Freight
FedEx 1Day® Freight
FedEx 2Day® Freight
FedEx 3Day® Freight
FedEx Freight® Priority
FedEx Freight® Economy
FedEx Ground Multiweight®
FedEx® Charters
FedEx Truckload Brokerage
FedEx Trade Networks

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
FedEx is a Joy, USPS is a catastrophe... so far the mail or package is safe and is delivered at schedule time, its fine.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
They are trying to counter Amazon from taking over all package delivery. UPS and USPS are also on Amazon's target list.

I was on a flight last year with a guy returning from a big meeting at UPS for this reason and a friend of his from college worked for Fedex and was heading to a similar meeting that day at their HQ.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
fedEx is mediocre here,

UPS is consistently better,

USPS works well, (I ship a lot USPS with very little issues, first class and priority)

FedEx driver actually called me one day, from my driveway, telling me to come get my shit or she was sending it back,

I Did, told her how much I appreciated her phone call, and promptly called her boss ,

they basically kiss my backside now, but are still not even close to UPS or USPS in this area

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I used to be a FedEx fan, but I've noticed in the last year or two that FedEx always takes a lot longer than UPS or USPS.

If I have a choice when checking out, I'll never select FedEx. I even avoid companies I know ship FexEx if I can get product elsewhere.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post