SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today in 1961: US Skating Team perishes in crash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today in 1961: US Skating Team perishes in crash Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted
Feb. 15, 1961. The entire US Figure Skating Team, along with coaches and many family members, died in a 707 crash enroute to the World Championships. The loss of so much talent and coaching knowledge had repercussions for many years.
Seems like the event is largely forgotten today.
It was also the first crash of a 707.
http://www.espn.com/espn/etick...=110215/skatingcrash

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never even heard about this story.

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Let's Go Rangers:
I never even heard about this story.

I actually never did either. What an incredible tragedy at the time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I had no idea.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this tragedy either and read up on it and it’s interesting to note that the consequence was to push the younger up and coming surviving skaters to develop faster and they lost almost all their American coaches so they had to hire foreign coaches.

One of those skaters was a then 12-year-old Peggy Fleming.

To this day the US Skating Team is never allowed to travel as one group aboard a single aircraft.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
Thanks for posting. I had no idea.

Me neither. I was 14 at the time and the only things I was interested in were boobs and baseball. Big Grin

Interesting story. Thanks for posting.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I was in Iran as a military advisor. So far out in the boonies that on a rare day the local phones actually worked. We got zero world news unless it was via mail from home.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small memorial to the Hickox siblings at my high school. They grew up in Berkeley. I’m not sure if either of my parents knew them. An incredible loss of talent.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had never even heard of this before. Thank you for posting.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post