SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    pics before cellphones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pics before cellphones Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted
a friend just sent me a pic scanned from 1987 she always had a compact camera of some sort what did you do before cellphone cameras did you always carry a camera?

this is me showing one of my friends daughter the banjo the little boy is my godson

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That was a long time ago, but doesn't seem like it, somehow. Just think-that little girl is in her 30s now.

I was 30 when that picture was taken. If the next 20 go faster than the last 20 it will seem like 10. I don't anticipate making it another 30.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
A lot of the time I had mine along. I was certainly frugal about burning film though. That has carried over into digital too I guess.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
When I was in my early teens I got into developing film at the local boy's club. This interest in photography has stuck with me so I always seemed to have a camera with me.

I spent a lot of time on the road on my motorcycle and always had a point and shoot tucked into the tank bag. Usually a 110 but I carried a disk camera for a while.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had a polaroid and a Kodak 110 or 2 Remember flash cubes and the little extension to reduce red eye?
Then went 35mm and a Canon AE1. 1979.
Had a Kodak DC 210 0.9 Megapixel for my first digital camera. ~1997
Next was a Minolta Dimage 7i. 5 MP 2001
Then Canon 20D. 8.2 MP 2004. And some very good glass.
Then Canon 40D. 10MP 2007
Now Canon 7D 18 MP 2009 (doesn't see much use anymore)

Edited to add more details.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1989 I was 21 and with very little experience I got a job as a photographer at a local newspaper. I could never be certain if I had the correct exposure, that was stressful and then developing the film was twice as stressful. If you screwed up that was it, everything was ruined. It was utterly unimaginable that one day people could take pictures on a phone that would rival my old SLR and all without the nail biting effort that went into developing.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Our honeymoon on the Big Island, 20 years ago. Disposable Kodak camera.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't carry a camera on a daily basis, and I suspect very few did. As others mentioned, we were a little more frugal with film.

I heard a story on the radio (not sure how accurate the data is behind it) that more digital images are now captured every year than were taken in the entire history of film cameras.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
So much life lost to the memories. My folks didn't have a camera most of my young life and none of theirs.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't (and don't) carry a camera all the time. However, when I'm on a tour, I have a camera with me (around my neck) constantly. When I was a child, a photo was a planned event, so there aren't a lot of me back then. When I entered the Air Force in 1960 I did buy a Kodak camera and began taking pictures. I now have a DSLR for use when I travel or for special occasions. Still don't have a smart phone and don't want one. However, I've got about 40,000 photos hosted on Flickr®, so I've not neglected photography.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Henry @ 9 YOA, definitely not a digital image (1955). Scanned and saved.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think I was in Kindergarten when this one was made. I look like an orphan.

David 1943 age 5
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I heard a story on the radio (not sure how accurate the data is behind it) that more digital images are now captured every year than were taken in the entire history of film cameras.

Yes but 90% of them are probably made with a cellphone, and 90% of those will be lost forever when their phone breaks and isn't backed up!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Yes but 90% of them are probably made with a cellphone, and 90% of those will be lost forever when their phone breaks and isn't backed up!

It may be even higher. Probably not much loss considering that 90% of the 90% are duck face selfies.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
In the military I was the guy with the camera. 35mm switching to digital when the point and shoots went into the higher zoom levels.

As a teen I carried a 110 a bit borrowing my dads 35mm SLR.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got hooked on photography in HS and was in the camera club. I don't suppose they exist anymore though.
While on a trip to Ireland recently I thought about how many pictures I was taking and remembered when shots would have to be rationed according to which size roll of film you had and now I'm glad thats no longer the case.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Before cell phone cameras? Hell, everyone had a camera lying around somewhere. You didn't always carry it around though unless you knew you would need it.

I think those were the better days. Is it really important to show off the hot dog you are about to eat on Facebook?

Probably just me.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how happy I am that their were no cell cameras around during the more adventurous times of my youth.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It was kind of frightening and hard to stay still when the flash powder went off.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It was kind of frightening and hard to stay still when the flash powder went off.
By then the photo was made.

flashguy