SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Weirdness - Verizon Wireless
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Weirdness - Verizon Wireless Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
This week, I tried to long onto VZW to pay my cell bill. Typically, I have had issues with Firefox and their web site.

Yesterday and today, I cannot get any of three browsers to access their site: FF, Chrome, and the MS whatever that comes with WIN 10. I get a message that VZW site is "temporarily unavailable". I can get in with my cell browser and this leads me to believe that something is up with my computer or ISP. I killed the ad blocker (UBlock Origin) for the VZW web site and still no joy.

Of course, any call to CS starts with the lowest form of rep who can do nothing but follow their script. Yeah, thanks but no.

Ideas?

thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a website issue, nothing you can do about that.
You could call them to do your business or wait it out.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just called again. Useless exercise.

I suspect my computer or ISP.

VZW tells me my account is not locked on their end.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ideas?

Try it with your computer using your phone as a hot-spot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Try clearing your browser cache in your browsers and type ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt.
Also type the address in the browser ~ not click on a link.
Also see if the Verizon App in the Windows Store does what you need it to ~ if so install it.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
Ideas?

I don't think that's possible with my iPhone 5. Maybe with Android…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
my 5s could do hotspot. Look under setting s for it.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
quote:
Ideas?

My 4S has hot spot provision. I believe all iPhones do.

In Settings, where you turn wifi on and off.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It appears to be a Verizon issue. I get the same thing.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I got the same thing last night when trying to pay. After a couple attempts I paid using the my Verizon app on the phone.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
I got the same thing last night when trying to pay. After a couple attempts I paid using the my Verizon app on the phone.

Yes, my ultimate solution as well. Figures they wouldn't have a clue their site is T/U if, in fact, it is.

Thanks,

RMD

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ideas?

Thanks for the reply, but it's not there for me. The only options is to enable/disable WiFi. When I turn my iPhone WiFi on, LTE access is disabled. Maybe because I have a Sprint unlimited data plan for my purchased-from-Sprint iPhone. Sprint wouldn't like it if I used that unlimited data for my laptop Internet service. Because then I wouldn't have to buy their 7GB/month LTE data plan.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I flushed the DNS cache and now I can get in. Why didn't I think of that myself?

Thanks,

RMD

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ideas?

Thanks for the reply, but it's not there for me. The only options is to enable/disable WiFi. When I turn my iPhone WiFi on, LTE access is disabled. Maybe because I have a Sprint unlimited data plan for my purchased-from-Sprint iPhone. Sprint wouldn't like it if I used that unlimited data for my laptop Internet service. Because then I wouldn't have to buy their 7GB/month LTE data plan.
Try This

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get an 'unlocked' phone from someone other than the carrier, and then the carrier can't remove basic features like hotspot, and can't add their bloatware.

Got my last two 'Verizon' phones from Amazon/Motorola directly, and put in Verizon sim card and linked the new phone to them via a web page on their site. They can dislike me using Android's hotspot with my unlimited grandfathered account, but they can't do anything about it or charge me for it. Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that iPhone Hotspot tip Opus Dei!

Serious about crackers

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Get an 'unlocked' phone from someone other than the carrier, and then the carrier can't remove basic features like hotspot, and can't add their bloatware.

Got my last two 'Verizon' phones from Amazon/Motorola directly, and put in Verizon sim card and linked the new phone to them via a web page on their site. They can dislike me using Android's hotspot with my unlimited grandfathered account, but they can't do anything about it or charge me for it. Smile

How are you getting around not getting charged for it? I have the same plan and I have to root my phone so they dont see im doing it.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I can get in with the iPhone app just fine, but trying to log in with a web browser on my desktop is frustrating, to say the least. The only way I can get it is to say "Forgot UserID" or "Forgot password", then it walks me through some steps like security questions, etc, and I end up logging in with my regular username and password, without changing anything. The web site login is broken.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

How are you getting around not getting charged for it? I have the same plan and I have to root my phone so they dont see im doing it.

The original grandfathered unlimited Verizon plans - which is what I have - have no provision to charge for hotspot, so under the contract they can't charge me. What the carriers do is, for the phones they control/gut/bloat, among other things, is to disable the OS hotspot feature and lock down your ability to change the OS. That way they are happy - they can't charge you but you can't make it work. Frown

However, if you don't get your phone from them or their outlets, then they can't change the OS to stop you. Wink

What you do need is

1) a phone with the radio tech (CDMA, GSM, etc.) that your carrier uses, and

2) a SIM card that the carrier recognizes.

In my case, I am a Motorola customer (need the extra sensitive radio/antennas they tend to use) so I shopped for ones that I could buy from Amazon and/or Motorola directly that were Verizon capable (had CDMA) but not "Verizon models " which implies the supplier just uses Verizon's software hacks instead of straight Android (or IOS, if you're looking for iStuff). I have wound up with ones with multi-carrier signal capability so that when/if I travel overseas I should be able to use it. (Or, if someone other than Verizon starts lighting up the hinterland, I could entertain a different carrier....very unlikely.)

And Verizon sees I'm doing it. My data usage numbers show how much is web access, how much is hotspot/tethering - (most months, tethering is the lion's share) - they just can't charge me for it. Plus, it's an official product, with warranty intact - no 'rooting' and no DIY configuring. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post