SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battle of Shok Valley and Helping a Hero
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle of Shok Valley and Helping a Hero Login/Join 
posted
So I was flipping through a local publication I received in the mail that comes out quarterly detailing things that have happened in the community as well as up-coming events, etc. and I saw an article talking about the charity Helping a Hero had presented a house to a disabled veteran in our town. The article was something similar to this one and briefly mentioned he was an Air Force Combat Controller and had earned the Air Force Cross. That made me a do a double take as that isn't just some random medal. Similar to the MoH, it is usually awarded posthumously. So I had to look him up online.

Zachary Rhyner did a total of 6 deployments, getting wounded on a couple of them. The Air Force Cross citation came from the Battle of Shok Valley in April 2008. I've copied and pasted a piece from his citation here:

...while assigned as Special Tactics Combat Controller, Airman Rhyner executed a day rotary-wing infiltration with his Special Forces team to capture high-value insurgents in a village on the surrounding mountains. While climbing near vertical terrain to reach their objective, the team was attacked in a well-coordinated and deadly ambush. Devastating sniper, machine gun, and rocket-propelled grenade fire poured down on the team from elevated and protected positions on all sides, immediately pinning down the assault force. Without regard for his life, Airman Rhyner placed himself between the most immediate threats and provided suppressive fire with his M-4 rifle against enemy fire while teammates were extracted from the line of fire. Airman Rhyner bravely withstood the hail of enemy fire to control eight United States Air Force fighters and four United States Army attack helicopters. Despite a gunshot wound to the left leg and being trapped on a 60-foot cliff under constant enemy fire, Airman Rhyner controlled more than 50 attack runs and repeatedly repelled the enemy with repeated danger close air strikes, several within 100 meters of his position. Twice, his actions prevented his element from being overrun during the intense six-and-a-half-hour battle.

Wiki link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zachary_Rhyner

I hope I have the honor of running into him around town sometime.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My post was tagged for review when I posted it due to some keywords I guess and I didn't see it posted until earlier today. Just a quick bump for anyone else to read

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Brave man.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!! Got BLESS Airman Rhyner!

Helping a Hero is waaaaaaaay better than Wounded Warrior Project. I had a 60" projection TV that I wanted to donate and WWP didn't even want to talk to me; got the feeling all they want is $$. Fortunately, a local radio personality (Sam Malone) had just been a guest at an event for Helping a Hero. He connected me to their website and I got in touch with the local COL who was supervising a project for a disabled SSgt veteran who was getting a house built for him. I was able to get my TV donated for the SSgt's household along with a Guitar Hero bundle for his kids. What a win-win!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post