SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil Drilling in Florida and a cool map
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Drilling in Florida and a cool map Login/Join 
posted
There has been some talk recently of a company trying to get a permit to drill on the border of the Glades in Broward county. While doing a bit of research I found this super cool interactive map of all the wells in Florida produced by FL DEP. You can click on a well to get all kinds of information.

What is interesting is that there is a few producing wells close to the Broward county line in Collier. Funny, they were permitted by the Obama administration! Go figure.

https://ca.dep.state.fl.us/mapdirect/?focus=oilandgas

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
A few in NE Lee County also

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida has a couple of small fields. I may be wrong, but I think the descendants of the Collier family own most or all of the productive South Florida acreage. There are also a couple of small oilfields in the panhandle.

There was a belief that there was /is an unconventional prospect in South Florida. The one or two test Wells I do not believe we're very promising. It has been a few years since I looked at that stuff.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Funny, they were permitted by the Obama administration! Go figure.

https://ca.dep.state.fl.us/mapdirect/?focus=oilandgas

Unless the minerals or the surface are owned or controlled by the Federal Govt, the US Govt is usually not involved in the permitting or regulation of onshore oil and gas production.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thank God, or the fracking revolution would not have happened and we would not be the world’s leading producer of petroleum.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Thank God, or the fracking revolution would not have happened and we would not be the world’s leading producer of petroleum.

The last push to drill in Florida was just after the peak of the anti-fracking stuff. The negative media firestorm and public outcry in SW Florida pretty much doomed what little exploration was planned.

I do not know production figures for the existing fields, but getting that crude to a refiner has got to be a logistical nightmare.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

The last push to drill in Florida was just after the peak of the anti-fracking stuff. The negative media firestorm and public outcry in SW Florida pretty much doomed what little exploration was planned.

I do not know production figures for the existing fields, but getting that crude to a refiner has got to be a logistical nightmare .

When the Jay (panhandle) field was being developed, it had high sulfur content that was cooked off nearby. The sulfur was then tank trucked to the port of Pensacola. What a nightmare it was: Young rednecks paid by the load tearing through downtown Pensacola. One overturned on a ramp, spilling liquid sulfur.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post