SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headed to Asheville, NC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to Asheville, NC Login/Join 
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted
Taking a family vacation to Asheville soon and was curious about what you guys recommend to do out there. I'll have a 2 year old, so family friendly recommendations are a plus! Also, anything particular I should know about regarding carry laws? Thanks!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
if you get approached by a cop you have to tell him if you're carrying.

aside from that... nothing to worry about really.
you can even open carry if you want.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Go to 12 Bones and get the Hogzilla. There’s a farm to table place called Home Grown that’s really good. Take a cruise on the Blue Ridge. John’s rock is a nice hike that isn’t too torturous. The Tobacco barn is a great antique shop full of cool stuff. The Biltmore if you are into that sort of thing. You can also go to the town square and watch unwashed hippies bang on drums.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Tour the Biltmore

I liked 12 Bones when I was there.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
12 Bones in the River Arts District is a must.

Also, you MUST go to the pinball "museum" downtown. Flat rate to enter and freeplay 30+ pinball machines and another 50 video games.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
There's a new burger place that was there last time I went. It was fast food/cook-out-ish but literally had the best burger I've ever had in my life. Anyone know the name of it? This was... 4 years ago?

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Watch out for the hippies...they are everywhere. Seems like Asheville is the east coasts San Francisco

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Earlier thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...910053524#5910053524

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
We lived in Asheville for about 13 years, pretty cool place. Take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Waynesville, NC. The drive is nice and if you stop at a place called Graveyard Fields you can take a easy walk to see a nice creek with waterfalls. Take the 23/74 exit off of the Parkway to Waynesville, NC. There is a really nice pottery place there (folks are kid friendly) called Muddobbers. From Muddobbers you can head to downtown Waynesville and walk around a nice small town downtown. Plenty of places to eat and the Mast General Store is cool. From there head to Lake Junaluska. There is a playground, nice walking path around the lake and you can feed the ducks (bring some bread). Jump back on I40 for a quick trip back to Asheville. Sierra Nevada has a cool kid friendly place close to the airport in Asheville. Biltmore is pretty cool too. Have fun.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
A visit to Biltmore would be on my top list of things to do in Ashville.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions fellas! Definitely going to check these things out.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Biltmore House tour. Also hit the Blue Ridge Parkway if you want to see some beautiful vistas. Mount Mitchell is nearby as well.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Grove Park Inn for a trout lunch/early dinner on the terrace overlooking a Donald Ross golf course.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I found the Biltmore fascinating and would go back in a minute.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Berkeley of the South.

12 Bones for sure. A couple of good brews places if I recall.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If you have time, a drive northeast will find you in Cherokee, where there are a lot of Indian exhibits. You'll be close to Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mountain, too.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear there’s a pretty decent pet store up the road in Boone, NC Cool

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to wait in line a while to get in to 12 Bones. Alternate is Hubba Hubba Smokehouse in Flat Rock just south of Hendersonville.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
12 Bones is Ok. I like Franks Roman Pizza in Woodfin. Really good pizza there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got towards the Brevard area, Transylvania County, lots of easy trails to beautiful waterfalls. Cruise the BRP towards Little Switzerland and Blowing Rock. Grab breakfast at Early Girl Eatery in AVL, pack a lunch, go for a easy hike, nap and watch the sun go down while having dinner at the Blue Ridge Dinning Room at the Grove Park.

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post