SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laptop for grandma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laptop for grandma Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
Ok, she's my kids grandma, but you get the idea. Most of the year she lives locally, so among other things I keep her tech going. However, she does like to spend the winter/springs in sunny Florida.

She was using a Dell Latitude E6420. It died. It's out of warranty; so the question is, can I get away with ordering another one of these refurbs from Walmart and swap the drive and be back in business, with all her shortcuts, email, etc. Then I could ship her the replacement. Or, will Windows gig me for the change of equipment?

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Assuming it's exactly the same configuration, it should work.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Do you know for sure the HD isn't the problem?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Do you know for sure the HD isn't the problem?
It won't POST. It's an SSD, I plugged into my pc and accessed it. I don't think that's the issue.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My laptop died last weekend, 7yr old Samsung. I was able to just throw the HD in an old HP laptop from work and it booted right up and I was able to recover everything, so there is hope.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post