SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Words escape me.

___LINK___
The agency tells a federal judge that it is investigating and 'sincerely regrets its failure.'

By JOSH GERSTEIN

01/19/2018 07:39 PM EST

The National Security Agency destroyed surveillance data it pledged to preserve in connection with pending lawsuits and apparently never took some of the steps it told a federal court it had taken to make sure the information wasn’t destroyed, according to recent court filings.

Word of the NSA’s foul-up is emerging just as Congress has extended for six years the legal authority the agency uses for much of its surveillance work conducted through U.S. internet providers and tech firms. President Donald Trump signed that measure into law Friday.

Since 2007, the NSA has been under court orders to preserve data about certain of its surveillance efforts that came under legal attack following disclosures that President George W. Bush ordered warrantless wiretapping of international communications after the 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. In addition, the agency has made a series of representations in court over the years about how it is complying with its duties.

However, the NSA told U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White in a filing on Thursday night and another little-noticed submission last year that the agency did not preserve the content of internet communications intercepted between 2001 and 2007 under the program Bush ordered. To make matters worse, backup tapes that might have mitigated the failure were erased in 2009, 2011 and 2016, the NSA said.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Can anyone truthfully say this is a surprise?

My supposition is that the NSA selectively deleted stuff that would have shown that they were/are active within our internal political affairs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few high-level firings for incompetence / negligence with elimination of pension and other benefits would go a long way on the prevention of future 'regretful' failures.

"Regretful" 'loss of data' seems to be fairly common these days in the swamp, such as at the IRS and EPA.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Accountability. Until this starts happening (and that means jail time for those who break the law no matter who you are or what your social status) things like this will continue to happen.

The NSA, the IRS, the DOJ, the FBI....so far the only thing the left has learned from all of this is don't get caught.

"But why?" Lefty Lucy asks.

"Oh nothing will happen, but it will look bad. I may even have to unfriend you".

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accountability. Until this starts happening (and that means jail time for those who break the law no matter who you are or what your social status) things like this will continue to happen.

This. And those entrusted with the power of government should face twice the punishment others would.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

This. And those entrusted with the power of government should face twice the punishment others would.
Abuses of power and authority should bring the harshest most unpleasant consequences.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The judge should demand all of the individuals who were responsible for protecting the data appear before his bench, cite them with one charge of contempt for every month of deleted data, fine them the maximum mount permitted on each charge, and jail them for the maximum period on each charge.

The judge can do this unilaterally, without involving the Executive Branch save for those involved in their incarceration.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Abuses of power and authority should bring the harshest most unpleasant consequences.

Breach of Public Trust for government officials who break the law? There should be something and if you don't want the added responsibility work in the private sector.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
arrest everyone involved and hold them in detention until hearings can be held

that is 'regretfully' the only reasonable thing to do

we will never get accountability as long as there is no real penalty for fucking the people

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Business as usual.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Of course they did. That agency does whatever it wants with little to no real oversight or accountability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the government tells you that they have erased everything, you can take it to the bank that they have erased everything.

Roll Eyes

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

we will never get accountability as long as there is no real penalty for fucking the people

Give each one a number and tell them the files matching numbers to names will be preserved electronically and not to worry because those files aren't supposed to be erased.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry, but disregarding laws and judicial orders just burns my ass. Ignore the laws, ignore the judge, and fuck the people that pay their salaries. The swamp is sooo deep.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
I’m sorry, but disregarding laws and judicial orders just burns my ass. Ignore the laws, ignore the judge, and fuck the people that pay their salaries. The swamp is sooo deep.

Well they've had a good 75-80 years to work on it so, yeah.

The (unaccountable) billions they've spent on making themselves untouchable wasn't for nuthin'.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Sounds like a GREAT idea. "Regretfully," it won't be possible to hold the hearings until the data is found. On the bright side, even if the hearings can't be held, once the folks in detention die, they can be released.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

The NSA, the IRS, the DOJ, the FBI....so far the only thing the left has learned from all of this is don't get caught.

"But why?" Lefty Lucy asks.

"Oh nothing will happen, but it will look bad. I may even have to unfriend you".

Agreed. There needs to be jail time.

Can you imagine in any other case where it isn't a member of govt ordered by a judge to do something, where that person wouldn't go to jail?

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Defund them. Defund them until such a time that they get their shit together.

Of course I have said that towards other federal agencies in the past, and it was met with claims that we can’t do that because it might interfere with government employees vacations and checking accounts.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Defund them. Defund them until such a time that they get their shit together.

Of course I have said that towards other federal agencies in the past, and it was met with claims that we can’t do that because it might interfere with government employees vacations and checking accounts.

I'm in. We can throw them a cookout so they have something productive to do with their time. we could probably pay down the deficit with the savings just on electricity.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post