Blankets Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
Do yourself a favor and also check out an authentic wool Swiss Army Surplus wool blanket ($120) and also a wool Italian Military Officers blanket ($50). Very high quality and a fraction of the cost of a Pendleton.

And you buy them where...?

Ebay currently has several for some great prices from various reputable sellers. The key is to get real surplus NOT “surplus style”.

Got it. Thanks.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Regarding Hudson's Bay blankets, I can attest to their value, warmth and durability. I have one that is likely over 50 years old and is bereft of much of its knap but is still quite usable. I went to a knick knack store in Canada where they had a Hudson's Bay blanket for a door mat to prove its durability.

When my mom lived in Winnipeg for a few years, a friend of her husband worked for Hudson's Bay and she was able to get employee pricing, half off list. My wife, then fiancé and I went to the store and got candy striped coats made of Hudson's Bay blankets. Probably about $75 a piece in the late 1970's. She sure did look good in that coat. We still have them, mine is a bit moth eaten but still wearable. It was the Canadian Olympic team coat one winter Olympics.

Wish we could have afforded a queen or king candy striped blanket also, but the real deal was the Inuit art carved from soapstone we could have also bought on discount. That was just a dream with our means at the time.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Regarding Hudson's Bay blankets, I can attest to their value, warmth and durability. I have one that is likely over 50 years old and is bereft of much of its knap but is still quite usable. I went to a knick knack store in Canada where they had a Hudson's Bay blanket for a door mat to prove its durability.

When my mom lived in Winnipeg for a few years, a friend of her husband worked for Hudson's Bay and she was able to get employee pricing, half off list. My wife, then fiancé and I went to the store and got candy striped coats made of Hudson's Bay blankets. Probably about $75 a piece in the late 1970's. She sure did look good in that coat. We still have them, mine is a bit moth eaten but still wearable. It was the Canadian Olympic team coat one winter Olympics.

Wish we could have afforded a queen or king candy striped blanket also, but the real deal was the Inuit art carved from soapstone we could have also bought on discount. That was just a dream with our means at the time.

I have two, both Queens. One that I bought up in London, Ontario at a Bay store about thirty years ago and one that I found used at a flea market in Chicago a couple years later. Both are still going strong. I always wanted the long coat, but never could find one that fit me well enough.

I am a big fan of their look, quality, old-schoolness, and weight (I can't sleep if I don't have some heavy blankets and my Hudson does that job very well).

Hudson Bay blankets are like antique cast iron pans to me. You just can't beat 'em. There may be newer companies that make good stuff, but I'll stick with the tried and true.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed at Cartwright, Labrador in 1964 I bought several of the "trading" wool blankets at the local Hudson's Bay Store. Gave them to my parents that Christmas, and they loved them! Each one came in its own clear plastic moth-proof bag.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a Hudson's Bay! I've had a capote (blanket coat) made from one for 40 years that's held-up wonderfully, along with two others just in case another ice age shows up. I've also got one of the Italian officer's blankets mentioned, and it's not even a close second, although it's an okay wool blanket.

Track of the Wolf usually carries HB blankets; they also have Woolrich Civil War patterns.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Faribault Mills, local business that makes damn fine blankets. I have one that is likely 50 years old, another that is >25, and several that are 15 years old now.

Pendleton makes very nice blankets as well, own a couple of those too. Beautiful southwestern patterns on those.

Did I mention it gets cold?

The Faribaults look very nice and a good buy. Makes me wish I needed some more wool blankets (I don't). You seem to have a number of them. Question: how do you care for them off season, or otherwise in storage? I'm thinking risk of moth damage.

Every few years they go to the cleaners if needed, a couple are machine washable. We have a cedar chest they go into after winter. I'll be honest, I don't get all that worried about the moths, maybe I should. I'm guessing we're not housing any because we've not lost a blanket, fur, or any taxidermy to moth damage. Pretty rare I even see a moth inside.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Faribault Mills, local business that makes damn fine blankets. I have one that is likely 50 years old, another that is >25, and several that are 15 years old now.

Pendleton makes very nice blankets as well, own a couple of those too. Beautiful southwestern patterns on those.

Did I mention it gets cold?

The Faribaults look very nice and a good buy. Makes me wish I needed some more wool blankets (I don't). You seem to have a number of them. Question: how do you care for them off season, or otherwise in storage? I'm thinking risk of moth damage.

Every few years they go to the cleaners if needed, a couple are machine washable. We have a cedar chest they go into after winter. I'll be honest, I don't get all that worried about the moths, maybe I should. I'm guessing we're not housing any because we've not lost a blanket, fur, or any taxidermy to moth damage. Pretty rare I even see a moth inside.

Well, I've rarely seen a moth inside, either, but I have had moth damage through the years. Not severe, or chronic, but it has happened. Cedar is always good. I try to make sure woolens are put away clean and in airtight containers (usually plastic tubs, or freezer bags if smaller pieces). Sometimes some moth balls, but usually not. I once read that simple newspaper--lining the container, between layers, and across the top before you close the container--can help. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post