SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is This Really an Accomplishment?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is This Really an Accomplishment? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Do you have kids? I am guessing no. I couldn't imagine telling my 5 year old that she can't attend their kindergarten graduation because it's just a participation trophy that is meaningless and will undoubtedly piss off a bunch of old curmudgeons on the interwebs.
The kids aren't the ones who have this stupid idea- it's the adults that are doing this stupid shit, and that's the point, that's why some members don't like this kind of stuff.

No one is blaming the kids and you have to admit that "graduating" from kindergarten is preposterous. If it were just kindergarten, that would be one thing, but it then continues on into grade school. It's stupid and and it's counterproductive because it sends the wrong message. These kids will end up thinking that anytime they accomplish a goal, it will be accompanied by ceremony and recognition, and that's wrong and dangerous.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
if the kids name is Jethro and packs his lunch in a overnight sized suitcase...
graduation may indeed be a milestone in the families life.

As now, with diploma in hand, the child can go job hunting

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'll take it a step further. Kindergarten graduation ceremonies are NOT for the children. The children couldn't care less. Wear a cap and gown? Really? They want to run, play, play X-Box, eat cake and ice cream.

These ceremonies are for the parents. So mom and dad can get precious pictures to cherish, send to friends and familiy, and post to Facebook.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I remember my mom being pretty upset when I "forgot" to mention when Jr High "graduation" was. I didn't see the point. Great, you made it to high school, congrats let's have a cap and gown celebration. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Some of you obviously don't have kids. "Everybody gets a ribbon", "snowflakes"?? Frankly I love my 6yo and am proud of ALL her milestones and accomplishments.
Everyone was once a child, though. If a child gets a trophy or celebration for every minor activity, how will that child ever learn what is really consequential and worthy of praise?

It is fine for you to love your 6yo and be proud of all her milestones and accomplishments, but it is not logical for the whole world to do so for normal progress.

flashguy

Indeed.

Purely superfluous nonsense, at best. You're free to do it, of course, but no thanks, and it probably does confuse folks with respect to what's actually a notable accomplishment...

And, be honest, celebrating birthdays is pretty ridiculous, too. Harmless, I guess, but so unworthy of an event - for what... living another 365 days? It's 2017, not the 11th Century, and it's not particularly difficult to make it another year for most in the civilized world.

Hey, I like socializing and having fun as much as anyone, but I just call it Tuesday or Happy Hour. No event needed. "Good job, little Johnny, here's a Popsicle (or whatever)..." Next...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no I don't have children , and by todays standards , me getting through highschool, would not be called a graduation.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Photo-op
I think that's probably it. Cute photos of your kid in cap and gown.

Its all about this. When my son was in kindergarten there were no public school ones, they were private. So to make the parents happy who shelled out money, they had a little graduation so the parents get some cute pics and feel good about dropping the money. That's all it is.

Has nothing to do with "accomplishing" anything.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fine. You now have cute pics of your precious little monster in cap and gown, and now that shit needs to cease until they graduate high school.

But, that's not what's going on, see? That is not what is going on. The stupid leftists will continue this 'everybody gets a trophy' horse shit all the way through school. Every freaking grade.

Anyone who doesn't see the problem with that must be blind.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
Don't forget the grand parents.

My parents have passed on and are not around to know my kids. My in-laws are still with us.

So, I'm grateful to be able to share what I can of their childhood with someone who cares. Their participation in my kid's lives adds to their self-worth. Most likely my in-laws won't be around for a college graduation.

The other part for me was moving on from the diaper/potty training toddler perspective and transitioning to a "get them educated" mindset. We've got a long way to go. One chance per child to get it right.

That was where my head was at the time. Not concerned with the other parents/kids there. Let alone with those not attending.

No disrespect intended.
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Photo-op
I think that's probably it. Cute photos of your kid in cap and gown.

Or little hellions in cap and gown.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Do you have kids? I am guessing no. I couldn't imagine telling my 5 year old that she can't attend their kindergarten graduation because it's just a participation trophy that is meaningless and will undoubtedly piss off a bunch of old curmudgeons on the interwebs.
The kids aren't the ones who have this stupid idea- it's the adults that are doing this stupid shit, and that's the point, that's why some members don't like this kind of stuff.

No one is blaming the kids and you have to admit that "graduating" from kindergarten is preposterous. If it were just kindergarten, that would be one thing, but it then continues on into grade school. It's stupid and and it's counterproductive because it sends the wrong message. These kids will end up thinking that anytime they accomplish a goal, it will be accompanied by ceremony and recognition, and that's wrong and dangerous.

I agree but I think you are getting too hung up on the "graduation" aspect. Yes, in and of itself the concept of "kindergarten graduation" is ridiculous. But if you've ever been to one, it's a glorified tea party for these kids. No one is there to gloat to their friends and co-workers about how their child just graduated from kindergarten. It's more to talk to the other parents, spend time with your kids at school, thank the teachers, and call it a day. I think for my oldest it lasted maybe 2 hours? I took one picture with my phone. And like someone else mentioned, grandparents love reasons to spend time with their grandchildren at "events" like this. It wasn't a huge event by any stretch. I think my oldest lost her "certificate" within a week or two. Look at it as more of a way to stay involved with your children and their school rather than a "graduation."

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
My oncologist has all his diplomas in the exam room of his.

One is his Kindergarten Diploma. He said his mom gave it to him when finally finished his Med schooling.

It’s got outline animals on it like a giraffe, hippo, elephant, tiger, and zebra. You know all the animal cookie shapes. Big Grin

Next time I see him I will take a picture of it. Put this thread will probably we gone.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's completely asinine. Tell the kid you are taking them for ice cream instead. Heck, I'd drop $40 at the LEGO store before I'd sit through an hour or two of that crap.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Jesus I thought I was a grumpy old fart, but some of you make me look like Mr Sunshine. It's a party for 4 year olds .. God damn. Parents, Grandparents, get to have a piece of cake and have an event at the kids school. They are 4, they think It's awesome that grandma and daddy are at their school and having fun

It's not the end of civilization, or some indoctrination into a liberal utopian mindset. Its 4 year olds... Finger painting pictures for mommy and having a fucking cupcake.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sow the seeds of entitlement.

Start them young.

The War of Northern Aggression, WWI, Prohibition and the rise of Organized Crime, the Great Depression, WWII, atomic bombs, The Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Love Canal, the Summer of Love and Desert Storm and if we could go back in time, the extinction of the dinosaurs are all due to not having Kindergarten Graduation.

But now, we will have World Peace, and $15 per hour for "work experience" jobs.

Kumbaya.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Jesus I thought I was a grumpy old fart, but some of you make me look like Mr Sunshine. It's a party for 4 year olds .. God damn. Parents, Grandparents, get to have a piece of cake and have an event at the kids school. They are 4, they think It's awesome that grandma and daddy are at their school and having fun

It's not the end of civilization, or some indoctrination into a liberal utopian mindset. Its 4 year olds... Finger painting pictures for mommy and having a fucking cupcake.

Most realistic response I've read.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Kinda glad I just opened this thread Wink . Yes it is very silly. Just like grade school, and middle school grad. etc.

Seem's like we just had juice and cookies.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dang, now I want cupcakes. There's this place I pass sometimes. It's got a sign up that just says "Cupcake". Naturally, I figured this was a graphic design studio or an art gallery but I'll be damned if they don't actually make cupcakes, and they are incredibly decadent. Not like your average grocery store cupcake, with chemical-tasting icing and cake with no structure. These are a little bit of heaven and I said to the lady at the counter "Hey, I thought this place was a graphic design studio or an art gallery, but you make cupcakes," and she said "Yeah".

That's all, just wanted to share.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I was talking about this thread with my wife this evening. I was saying that I thought a Kindergarten graduation ceremony was absurd. She told me she had a graduation ceremony and diploma from her Kindergarten. She is 60. I was sure this was something new. Newer than 1961 anyway. Confused

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ha. My kids have been asking NOT to go to these things. They think it's stupid. Ooooh, I'm going to another grade. That's the point.

I never went to my high school graduation, I had a final to take. I finished a year and a half of college before I graduated high school.

My daughter is in high school now and is asking to skip cap and gown pictures and graduation all together. I'm okay with it. Not sure her mom is.

My oldest was the same way, he said he's not going to graduation and asked us not to go. He then quit college and joined the Army. He did ask me to come pin his wings on him so we did do that ceremony.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post