SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hog Hunting at Night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunting at Night Login/Join 
posted
I want to start doing some night hunting for hogs .I want to use my Bushmaster AR-15..I have little knowledge of thermal and night vision scopes/monocular..I know I want a thermal for scanning but may or may not want to use thermal for shooting..If I had $3500.00 to spend should I buy one thermal scope that is detachable and use it for both scanning and shooting or should I purchase a cheaper thermal for scanning and a night vision scope that remains fixed on my rifle? Pros and cons and suggestions???

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Recently Mars Attacks posted about shooting rats at a friend's chicken coop. I beleive he was using some kinda night vision...

Have you seen that thread ??

And, Welcome aboard!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe a lot will depend on what type of area are you going to be hunting. The two systems complement each other. The night vision is better suited for open areas and longer range shooting. The thermal system is better in brush and dense foliage. I have a night vision setup and the friend I usually hunt with has a thermal system. I can see hogs, coyotes, etc., twice as far away as him, but if there is brush or vegetation his thermal setup allows him to see the heat source. All I see is the brush. YMMV

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I'll offer a third possibility. I have a Laser Genetics green laser light which mounts on a scope. The light can be collimated for the field of view in your optic, and in my case a 3.5 x 10 with the light on and I can see clearly thru the scope at over 100yds in pitch black. The light points both ways of course, but the hogs don't shoot back. Not the best option, but inexpensive to get started. Works better than a flashlight IMO. Not sure if but think it was around $200, vs 6K for thermal.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
None of that is really necessary if you just want to hunt hogs at night. If you want to hunt hogs specifically with night vision that's ok, and fun, but certainly not necessary. We run green kill lights in the area we night hunt. A couple of hundred dollars will get you set up well for night hunting.

https://elusivewildlife.com/sh...kage-pro-hunter.html

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I'd rather use an AR10 vs an AR15.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfwglockguy:
I believe a lot will depend on what type of area are you going to be hunting. The two systems complement each other. The night vision is better suited for open areas and longer range shooting. The thermal system is better in brush and dense foliage. I have a night vision setup and the friend I usually hunt with has a thermal system. I can see hogs, coyotes, etc., twice as far away as him, but if there is brush or vegetation his thermal setup allows him to see the heat source. All I see is the brush. YMMV

Thanks guys..A lot of helpful info here..This is the first I've read that says Night vision provides longer distance viewing than thermal..I was under the impression just the opposite was true..Therefore I was leaning toward getting thermal for scanning and night vision for shooting but if I cannot see as far with thermal I will reconsider..thaks

posted Hide Post
My experience is Army Infantry - not hunting.

But your ideal set-up would be head-mounted 3rd gen night vision coupled with an IR laser zeroed on your rifle.

I say head-mounted because the utility of that is for everything other than shooting. Driving your ATV, walking / stalking, general observation etc. Rifle-mounted limits the usefulness of the tool.

Whether you go helmet-mounted or head-mounted may be personal preference. I liked head-mounted because I felt I could get a better fit. Plus I still had my NODs on even if I removed my helmet for whatever reason.

This is basically a similar version to what I used extensively:

https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-7b-gen3-litton-auto-gated/

Add an IR laser to your rifle and you are good-to-go.

Wearing night vision changes the game entirely. Darkness becomes - almost - a 'non-factor'.

Agree the thermal would be great for scanning and 'acquiring' targets.

Keep us posted as to your experiences. The equipment is pricey but it's a 'buy once - cry once' type deal. Really opens up some fun possibilities. And if you have a bunch of guns - it might make sense to downsize on that a bit to fund the NV...

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
None of that is really necessary if you just want to hunt hogs at night. If you want to hunt hogs specifically with night vision that's ok, and fun, but certainly not necessary. We run green kill lights in the area we night hunt. A couple of hundred dollars will get you set up well for night hunting.

https://elusivewildlife.com/sh...kage-pro-hunter.html

I agree with TXJim. I have hunted hogs at night in GA with great success using just the XLR-100 green LED light. With a decent illuminated scope shots out to 150 yards are easily doable assuming you don't have a lot of brush in the way.

Some states like TN do not allow lights or hunting at night. Thermal or night vision is allowed, but not really useful since you can't hunt at night anyway. So in TN you just have to rely on getting a clean shot at dusk before it gets too dark, and in that case a decent illuminated scope (Trijicon or Nightforce for example) works just fine.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used thermal sights on tanks. They work quite well but are crazy expensive.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/n...ion-riflescopes.html

Prices are challenging.

Thermal sights!

https://www.opticsplanet.com/h...-termal-imagers.html

Leupold LTO Tracker Thermal Imaging Monocular Sight

https://www.opticsplanet.com/r...aging-monocular.html

$700

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

But your ideal set-up would be head-mounted 3rd gen night vision coupled with an IR laser zeroed on your rifle.

I say head-mounted because the utility of that is for everything other than shooting. Driving your ATV, walking / stalking, general observation etc. Rifle-mounted limits the usefulness of the tool.

Whether you go helmet-mounted or head-mounted may be personal preference. I liked head-mounted because I felt I could get a better fit. Plus I still had my NODs on even if I removed my helmet for whatever reason.

Wearing night vision changes the game entirely. Darkness becomes - almost - a 'non-factor'.

Keep us posted as to your experiences. The equipment is pricey but it's a 'buy once - cry once' type deal. Really opens up some fun possibilities. And if you have a bunch of guns - it might make sense to downsize on that a bit to fund the NV...

Man this looks like fun! But how well and at what distance would I be able to see a pig in high grass? I'm guessing head mounted thermals like this would be crazy expensive huh??

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would agree with this but if have just gotten into night hog hunting. After hunting with a night vision scope I realize how difficult it is transitioning to and from night vision (even looking at the green light on NV will render your vision useless for a while). I bought a low end scope, the Armasight Vampire (which I am pleased with for the price) but it would have been better to have something that could be used for glassing and shooting. Going back and forth to NV is hard and even harder on nights with no money in blight (autocorrect and posting from cell phones don’t work well. It should read “moon light”.). It does depend on how you are hunting too, if you hunt a feeder you could light it up with green led’s. I just bought the new Umarex/Optical Dynamics illuminator that is supposed to be the cats meow so I’ll see how that works out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrvmax,

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Hearnsberger:
quote:

Man this looks like fun! But how well and at what distance would I be able to see a pig in high grass? I'm guessing head mounted thermals like this would be crazy expensive huh??

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, just be sure you have a 10mm handy, incase you run in to Hogzilla.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
thermal looks so fun

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
After hunting with a night vision scope I realize how difficult it is transitioning to and from night vision (even looking at the green light on NV will render your vision useless for a while)...
Going back and forth to NV is hard and even harder on nights with no money in blight. It does depend on how you are hunting too, if you hunt a feeder you could light it up with green led’s.

This is a very good point and another reason head-mounted works so well. You put them on and leave them on...

Obviously NV is not going to help much if they are hidden in brush and obscured from vision. Thats where the thermal would shine I am thinking. (I don't have personal experience with thermal sights).

Maybe the technique 'find with thermal / shoot with NV' is appropriate. Cool

But third gen NV is amazing crisp / clear in detail. You could identify targets a long way off.

---------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsdpaiN1eI

--------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
After hunting with a night vision scope I realize how difficult it is transitioning to and from night vision (even looking at the green light on NV will render your vision useless for a while)...
Going back and forth to NV is hard and even harder on nights with no money in blight. It does depend on how you are hunting too, if you hunt a feeder you could light it up with green led’s.

This is a very good point and another reason head-mounted works so well. You put them on and leave them on...

Obviously NV is not going to help much if they are hidden in brush and obscured from vision. Thats where the thermal would shine I am thinking. (I don't have personal experience with thermal sights).

Maybe the technique 'find with thermal / shoot with NV' is appropriate. Cool

But third gen NV is amazing crisp / clear in detail. You could identify targets a long way off.

---------------------

I think the night vision goggles would be a blast but maybe not work so well for my application. Hunting in tall grass it sounds like a monocular thermal for locating game and 3rd generation night vision mounted scope for shooting might be just the ticket..I don't really know what Infra red is or how it works on a scope..