SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ~*~Rapid/Unexplained Weight Loss reasons~*~
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~*~Rapid/Unexplained Weight Loss reasons~*~ Login/Join 
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted
I'm looking for ideas for why I might be losing weight. I had reached a max of 240+ pounds and almost 44 inch waist 5 or 6 years ago. I changed my diet and got down to 185-190 and a 34-36 inch waist. I was stable at that weight and size for the last 3 years or so. Recently, within the last 6 months, I have dropped to a low of 152 and 30-32 inch wasit. I'm 6'3' tall and think of myself as in pretty good shape. Until recently I worked as a mechanic and hustled my ass off all day, everyday, in a hot shop here in Florida. I moved into a service manager position in the lat 2 months. I don't think the promotion has any bearing on my weight loss.

On TSM11's,SWMBO, and Rotndad Jr's request I went to my primary Doctor to ask about the unexplained weight loss. He did a full exam with about a gallon and a half of blood work. Smile All the results were normal. My cholesterol was really good, A1C was normal to low, all the normal markers looked fine. He couldn't find anything wrong. He did recommend a full body scan which I ahven't done yet but will soon. I have been hovering at between a low of 152 and 165 for the past 6 months or so. I am super skinny and according to a very good and trusted friend look sickly.

I will update this post later with what I suspect the "problem" is after I get some opionions. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
He did a full exam with about a gallon and a half of blood work. Smile All the results were normal. My cholesterol was really good, A1C was normal to low, all the normal markers looked fine. He couldn't find anything wrong.

Did this include a Thyroid panel? T3, T4, and TSH? Screened by an Endocrinologist? In 1994 I was diagnosed with Graves/Hyperthyroidism, it was caught by this after a rapid loss of weight being an indicator along with some other symptoms.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If blood labs are normal, that would usually rule out cancer. The body scan will show hot spots if you do have a problem.

It could be that with the promotion you are not as tired and have time to work out. If your thyroid was overproducing, that should show up in the blood labs.

If the body scan comes back negative, I would try eating more. However this would probably be too simple an answer.

I was once over exercising and had also became so thin people were concerned. I started eating more, problem went away. However I was cold water diving 2-3 days a week, which burns about 1,000 calories an hour.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
He did a full exam with about a gallon and a half of blood work. Smile All the results were normal. My cholesterol was really good, A1C was normal to low, all the normal markers looked fine. He couldn't find anything wrong.

Did this include a Thyroid panel? T3, T4, and TSH? Screened by an Endocrinologist? In 1994 I was diagnosed with Graves/Hyperthyroidism, it was caught by this after a rapid loss of weight being an indicator along with some other symptoms.

From what I remember yes. Maybe not all of tehm unless that is normal for testing thyroid. I do remember asking specifically about thyroid because TSM11 has a thyroid condition.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Tapeworm?
(seriously)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have nothing in the way of help to provide, other than it certainly sounds concerning to me...and you're officially on my prayer list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The primary things to worry about are
1. hyperthyroidism
2. infection (including TB, parasites, heart valve infection)
3. cancer, which uses up the nutrients your body would use to maintain weight

A colonoscopy may be indicated if the scan is negative.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I have nothing in the way of help to provide, other than it certainly sounds concerning to me...and you're officially on my prayer list.

THank you. I do appreciate it.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. I will make a list of things to consider and talk to my Dr about them. Fortunately, he is the kind of doctor that will entertain ideas from a patient even if they may sound wrong or off the wall. I like him a lot.

As far as what I suspect is going on is this...TSM11 has been away a lot helping take care of her Mom with mesothelioma treatment. There's just the two of us at home so when I'm by myself I don't feel like cooking for just me. I will usually eat a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds and get something for lunch. But at dinner I just don't feel like cooking or eating alone. I will eat a couple of yogurt cups with a glass of milk and call that dinner. I really thinks it's simply a matter of burning more calories than I am eating. But going down lower than the weight I entered the Army at did kind of freak me out so I went to the Doc's and asked here too.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Drink more beer.

Just a suggestion.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31433 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a lot more testing to be done before they find the cause. If your GP is curious and active, I'd stay with him to help you find it. Maybe one of the forms of Diabetes Insipidus (unrelated to regular Diabetes).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Drinking more beer has its own rewards. When you figure out what it is, come back here and tell us. You could have discovered a popular thing.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good be you are using more energy than you are taking in food.

But your body will adjust, and your metabolism will slow down.

I was going to ask about stress from your new job or the burden of the learning curve.

Or after all that time of busting your but in the hot sun your body was wore out and down, and now it is recuperating. ((Kind of like when you are training/over training and finally take time off for your body to heal/grow.))

How do you feel over all? Tired? Run Down?
feel like you have no energy?

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Good be you are using more energy than you are taking in food. This is what I think is happening

But your body will adjust, and your metabolism will slow down.

I was going to ask about stress from your new job or the burden of the learning curve. It's not too stresful as I've been a service manager before. I DO put extra stress on myself because my boss is franchise owner and I am very cognizant that this store is his and his family's livelyhood.

Or after all that time of busting your but in the hot sun your body was wore out and down, and now it is recuperating. ((Kind of like when you are training/over training and finally take time off for your body to heal/grow.))

How do you feel over all? Tired? Run Down?
feel like you have no energy? Yes, I do feel run down. I'm 53. Usually at work I hustle and can outwork "the kids". But when I get home I'm pretty tired. However, the tired part isn't new. I've been basically been tired since we stopped the testosterone therapy a few years ago.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
I had that problem many years ago and a couple of doctors couldn't diagnose the problem correctly, and in fact, I got some incorrect diagnoses. I finally found a doctor that nailed it. It was grief that I had suppressed, and as soon as I was able to identify what that was about, acknowledged and dealt with it, the weight and health came back. The doctor said that I probably would have kept losing weight until my health degenerated to the point that it could have been fatal.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will usually eat a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds and get something for lunch. But at dinner I just don't feel like cooking or eating alone. I will eat a couple of yogurt cups with a glass of milk and call that dinner. I really thinks it's simply a matter of burning more calories than I am eating.

I suspect that this is it. Hopefully your wife comes home soon and pumps you up with her home cooking.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
I will usually eat a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds and get something for lunch. But at dinner I just don't feel like cooking or eating alone. I will eat a couple of yogurt cups with a glass of milk and call that dinner. I really thinks it's simply a matter of burning more calories than I am eating.

I suspect that this is it. Hopefully your wife comes home soon and pumps you up with her home cooking.

Thanks. I hope she comes home soon too. My mother in law is not the stereotypical MIL. She accepted me like a son. I love her like my own mom.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
How much walking are you doing in your new position?

I went from 210 to 170 pounds in 8 months while working at Lowes due to all the walking around.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I hope when you figure this out it is something simple like you are not eating enough calories as mentioned above. In the meantime, you will be in my family's prayers.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
How much walking are you doing in your new position?

I went from 210 to 170 pounds in 8 months while working at Lowes due to all the walking around.

A lot less. We do walk out the the cars to get the Tag, VIN MIleage etc. but I'm probably only walking half of what I did in the shop. This is a small 6 bay shop and in my new position I mostly stay at the desk. Also, the weight loss precedes the promotion by about 6 months or so.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member