SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lexapro and drinking....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lexapro and drinking.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I've been dealing with near debilitating anxiety since I got out of the Marine Corps. Truth is, I always thought it was normal and that's how everyone felt.

Some years ago I saw some dopy actress on TV talking about anxiety and if you had any of these 10 symptoms, you might be a sufferer.

I was 10 for 10...and still denied I had an issue. Bottom line...doc recently put me on Lexapro. I cannot get a straight answer about having the occasional drink. Doc did not forbid it, just said to go easy. (he said he would say different if I was having issues with depression instead of anxiety).

Don't even get me started on what internet searches pull up. Anyone here willing to share their experiences with Lexapro and drinking?

Email is in my profile if you don't want to post in this thread. Thanks all...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I can. It can intensify the affects of alcohol. It makes it “hit you” differently than normal. For me, it would be no buzz, then boom with hard liquor. Didn’t really do anything different when I drank beer. My advice, go slow. Drink one less than normal. I suggest having a drink at home or a friends house. Don’t drive. Your mileage may vary.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I look at it this way. It's obvious that too many is bad whether on lexapro or not. Drink one, if it's not prohibited on the bottle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alcohol and Lexapro are both downers, everyone is affected differently, for you one plus one may be two or 5 you will have to figure out for yourself. Go slow, beer and hard liquor will have different effects, trial and error. Good luck.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I was on Lexapro during and right after I went through all my cancer treatments. It helped during, but afterwards, it turned me way too emotional ( for no reasons) eg, being sad over many things.

I got off of it asap, but never drank alcohol while I was taking it. I wish I could answer your question.

Ativan is another anxiety drug, not sure the difference in them , doctos don't like long term presciptions to patients for Ativan.

Since I'm on blood thinners and have hypertension, hardly ever drink alcohol these days.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend takes it and drinks, but she only drinks once a month and never more than two, on a wild night three.

She did fall asleep as soon as we got to the hotel last time she drank, but it was an extremely long day.

Not sure that helps at all, but that's all I got.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue when taking it and drinking.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Nothing major to add other than the fact that everyone’s bodies are different. Go slow and see how you do. One person may pass out on the combo while you have little affect.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
This is a simple answer.
If drinking may effect the benefits of the drug don't drink.
I would think your health is more important than having a drink.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My sister in law was put on Lexapro maybe fifteen years ago, a lot of bad things going on for her at the time.

I knew she and her husband would put a lot away at a local club at least once a week, maybe more often. I also think they regularly had some other days of the week. I asked her if she felt any different on the Lexapro and drink than just drinking before the Lexapro. She felt there was no problem. I do know they have both cut back on the drinking the last couple years but there are other health related issues that I think brought that about. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to ask her.

Ronin1069, I emailed you with information that may or may not be of interest.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I really really like a beer now and then, and a hit or two of bourbon with my cigars. But for now, I've given up the hootch. It's been years since that last time I went a full day without a drink of some type, so maybe this is as good a time as any to back off. I'm going to give it til the end of the year, see how much weight I've dropped, and more importantly see how I feel.

I've never used alcohol to get sloppy drunk, but one beer (or two) has become a very comforting everyday habit for me. Time to find a new habit I spose.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
This is a simple answer.

Bob

Thanks Mom.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Got to add to the don't drink column.

If there's any question, avoid the issue altogether.

Why gamble?

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
This is a simple answer.

Bob

Thanks Mom.

Why the sarcasm? The guy asked for opinions, and he got one. Chillax… Unless you have problems with alcohol?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look at nutritional supplements to improve your mood.

Here is an article from the Life Extension Foundation:

http://www.lifeextension.com/P...h/Depression/Page-01

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post