SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I would prefer that senators be appointed by state gubbernments! That way, they would have more interest in looking out for their states, and less looking out for their pockets.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes please.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Actually, I would prefer that senators be appointed by state gubbernments! That way, they would have more interest in looking out for their states, and less looking out for their pockets.

And have a recall/switch at any time, however your state would like to do it. However, if your state can't get it's shit together & have a Senator available to vote, you don't get a vote.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
quote:

And have a recall/switch at any time, however your state would like to do it. However, if your state can't get it's shit together & have a Senator available to vote, you don't get a vote.
Well, it was that way until 1913 and the passing/adoption of the 17th Amendment.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That was the way it was originally done! Until the 17th amendment!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
quote:

That was the way it was originally done! Until the 17th amendment!

I pointed this out, and then I also pointed out how this would remove a ton of the national, corrupt, money involved in the Senate elections.

JALLAN was quick to also point out, rightly, that one of the reasons cited for the need for the 17th, was corruption in the Senate selection process.

I'd rather go back and try it without the 17th then rely on "scholars" of today to try and fix it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, but there's still no reason to think that it would do anything except shift the vectors of corruption - while taking power away from the voters in a state as a whole. There's no reason to seek out intermediaries to exercise your power, any more than there's any need to add extraneous overhead to the way you run your company.

But hey - if it sounds like a magic wand, then, you know, maybe we'll find out magic actually exists!!!

The truly pathetic part of the argument is that it mirrors the "logic" that has the liberals sweating over whether Ginsberg remains on the bench - her seniority, her logic, her persuasive powers, her mere presence will somehow magically keep the forces of conservatism at bay because no one would ever dare screw with her. Riiiiight.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How long has it been since we've seen any proof that RBG is actually still alive?

3 or 4 weeks now?

I smell a rat. Or is that a corpse?

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

The "2019" shown in the graphic isn't over yet...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what’s the latest on this broad? Has nobody still not seen or heard from her?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
So what’s the latest on this broad? Has nobody still not seen or heard from her?

What happened to all the prognostications? She hasn’t resigned, or been declared dead, or turned into a pumpkin, or whatever else so many people were certain would have happened by now.
I am so disappointed. Frown

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you and me both - perhaps she will kick off during the SOTU...if she even shows up for it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would you know the difference?

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
ALLAN was quick to also point out, rightly, that one of the reasons cited for the need for the 17th, was corruption in the Senate selection process.

Well, we can see how well that worked out!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I guess the SOTU is back “on”. Smile

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

What happened to all the prognostications? She hasn’t resigned, or been declared dead, or turned into a pumpkin, or whatever else so many people were certain would have happened by now.
I am so disappointed. Frown

I'm not convinced they will tell us. Woodrow Wilson's wife ran the Presidency for years while he was debilitated by stroke. I smell a Weekend at Ruthie's coming.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I'm not convinced they will tell us. Woodrow Wilson's wife ran the Presidency for years while he was debilitated by stroke. I smell a Weekend at Ruthie's coming.

If only we'd have had iPhones 100 years ago.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's why Nancy doesn't want to have the SOTU address. They don't want the empty seat while Ruthie's on ice.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I saw a couple flags at half mast today. Is it bad if I wondered if we fly them thus if a SCJ dies?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I saw a couple flags at half mast today. Is it bad if I wondered if we fly them thus if a SCJ dies?
This past Wednesday, there was a shooting in a SunTrust branch in Sebring. Five hostages killed. Governor DeSantis ordered flags flown at half mast.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post