SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, technically Supreme Court Justices weren't supposed to be technically calculating political animals. Technically. Then John Marshall promptly put the kibosh on that idea just because he thought Thomas Jefferson was an asshole.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Some of you might find the "Switch in Time that Saved Nine" story interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Reform_Bill_of_1937

It may become a future hot topic.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
They knew what they were doing when they made them life appointments and I’m glad they did. There is a lot of material written on alternatives and they all stink.

Bottom line, it’s human life, everything has flaws. There is no perfect system and the framers knew that. The decided, and rightly so imo, that life appointments were the best of imperfect ideas.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They also couldn't have imagined the state of medical care 240 years later. Back in them days, you died rather quickly from pancreatic, colon, and lung cancer. Folks didn't hang on by their fingertips. They croaked.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Back in them days, you died rather quickly from pancreatic, colon, and lung cancer.

From what I know of the subject, cancer in general was an uncommon cause of death then. Lung cancer in particular was rare until cigarettes became popular in the twentieth century. Other forms of cancer were not unknown, but most deaths resulted from other diseases that are now preventable or treatable to some degree. You’re right, though, that it was uncommon for people suffering from serious diseases to hang on for long periods.

Added: And part of the reason people with serious diseases didn’t survive for long 200+ years ago was because of the horrible health care available. George Washington, for example, was essentially bled to death by his doctors. It’s also not necessary to go back that far. President McKinley was another victim of horrendous medical practices in 1901. One medical analysis I read said he would have probably survived if he’d just been left alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Website Lucianne, which is generally very reliable-- and is citing Fox-- is reporting that Ginsberg has contracted pneumonia and will retire this month.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
They knew what they were doing when they made them life appointments and I’m glad they did. There is a lot of material written on alternatives and they all stink.

Bottom line, it’s human life, everything has flaws. There is no perfect system and the framers knew that. The decided, and rightly so imo, that life appointments were the best of imperfect ideas.

Yeah, well... I favor term limits.
For President: (2) 4 year terms
For Congress: 12 years, which would be 2 Senate terms or 6 House terms
For SCOTUS: 20 or maybe 25 years. It's long enough.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a matter of time really.

quote:
Fox & Friends Apologizes for Accidental Graphic Saying Ruth Bader Ginsburg is Dead

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fo...er-ginsburg-is-dead/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

It's not like the caption is going to be proven wrong. Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
^^^^

It's not like the caption is going to be proven wrong. Roll Eyes

True, but one can catch all kinds of hell for jumping the gun.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Monty Python did it best

I'm not dead yet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Even if Trump is a one term President, three SCOTUS justices in one term will set the left back more than 50 years on pushing their agenda.

It truly is the worst thing that could have happened to them. Trump is just living at an address. Constitutional Justice appointments live in their head for the rest of their lives.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
They were just trying to avoid having to rush to prepare it at the last minute! ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Fox: "OK, we're ready on our end."

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Just a matter of time really.

quote:
Fox & Friends Apologizes for Accidental Graphic Saying Ruth Bader Ginsburg is Dead

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fo...er-ginsburg-is-dead/

Instead of apologizing, they should demand that the DC Medical Examiner's office prove them wrong.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, technically Supreme Court Justices weren't supposed to be technically calculating political animals. Technically. Then John Marshall promptly put the kibosh on that idea just because he thought Thomas Jefferson was an asshole.

RBG and her ilk are no John Marshalls. He was a hard-line defender of property rights and during his tenure on the court the whole concept of "judicial review" was largely applied to disputes involving individual rights.

He and Jefferson were at frequent odds even before he was appointed to the court, but the "political" aspect of his decisions were basically nil compared to the judicial activism seen in recent years.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Liberals don't try to be like anyone, their bread and butter is "capturing institutions". Did someone once do something for what may have been the right reason? Then for liberals it's just another paragraph that should've been in Saul Alinsky's book because it teaches them about what they see as another loophole they can use to trip up the system. Did someone do the right thing once? For liberals that gives them a grain of truth to wrap lies around so they can seize an opportunity to foster and forward their ideology.

Remember Obama working overtime over the course of months (if not years) to compare himself to Lincoln and to compare his liberal goals to the founding principles of the Republican Party?

Don't get sidetracked by shallow arguments that blow right past the point of what was said - you're doing what the liberals do, and liberals will usually beat you at their own game.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The left was willing to groom and prop up a liar in an effort to keep one man out of the Supreme Court; does anyone here believe they wouldn't lie about Ginsburg being alive if she were in fact deceased? I count nothing as out of the question where these traitors are involved.

We joke about "weekend at Ruthies" but after the last several years, the leftists are capable of anything imo.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Yeah, well... I favor term limits.
For President: (2) 4 year terms
For Congress: 12 years, which would be 2 Senate terms or 6 House terms
For SCOTUS: 20 or maybe 25 years. It's long enough.

I am also in favor of term limits. But, 1 term for senate, 3 terms for representatives, 2 for prez, and 20 years for SCOTUS.

Look at all those, what amount to, life time appointments currently sitting in DC! 30-40 years? Not counting SCOTUS. Saw one senator (I think) the other day that has been there for more than 30 years!!!

Actually, I would prefer that senators be appointed by state gubbernments! That way, they would have more interest in looking out for their states, and less looking out for their pockets.
====================================================================
Richard Shelby Alabama 23 years in the Senate
John McCain Arizona 23 years in the Senate
Christopher Dodd Connecticut 29 years
Joe Lieberman Connecticut 21 years
Daniel Inouye Hawaii 47 years
Richard Lugar Indiana 33 years
Tom Harkin Iowa 25 years
Chuck Grassley Iowa 29 years
Mitch McConnell Kentucky 25 years
Barbara Mikulski Maryland 23 years
John Kerry Massachusetts 25 years
Carl Levin Michigan 31 years
Thad Cochran Mississippi 32 years
Kit Bond Missouri 23 years
Max Baucus Montana 32 years
Harry Reid Nevada 23 years
Jeff Bingaman New Mexico 27 years
Kent Conrad North Dakota 23 years
Robert Byrd West Virginia 51 years
Jay Rockefeller West Virginia 25 years
Schumer, 21 years

These people make a career out of it! If they ever had any semblance of service to the country and their constituents, they lost it pretty quickly once they got their seats at the trough.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Monty Python did it best

I'm not dead yet

"I'm happy!"

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post