SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guns found in high school parking lot ,
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guns found in high school parking lot , Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What expectation of privacy is there in a high school parking lot? I'm guessing none.

I think it's pretty much settled law that LE can run a dog around anything out in public, and a hit then constitutes probable cause.
Settled law? Expectation of privacy? Y'see, this is the kind of shit that gives people an 'us and them' mentality towards law enforcement.

Don't fuck with people. Leave them alone.

Yeah, poochie and its handler just happened to be taking a leisurely stroll through the parking lot. Come on. Get real.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
And then they can say the dog "hit" on just about anything they want. What would happen if you protested that the dog was just licking his ass when the handler decided to search your property?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they also have the K-9's make some training runs through the faculty parking lot at all of local schools and colleges, or maybe the employee parking lot over at the courthouse or county offices, or perhaps where the Dr's and nurses park at the hospital?!

Oh the great training those dogs would get!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I wonder if they also have the K-9's make some training runs through the faculty parking lot at all of local schools and colleges, or maybe the employee parking lot over at the courthouse or county offices, or perhaps where the Dr's and nurses park at the hospital?!

Oh the great training those dogs would get!

And whenever congress is in session.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The original common sense gun law:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with Para on this one. If they are going to randomly walk their dog in public then do it in the hood instead of the high school parking lot.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Now, put the icing on the cake with "Well, if you're not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about."

That’s the free space on the bingo square. Razz

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Whatever happened to probable cause?

It's for school safety. Or something like that.

They used to tell us the same shit in highschool when they would do the random lockdowns and have the local K9 unit come in and search every locker in the school a few times every semester. Town of 13K people. They busted the stoners from a rotating cast after finding a bit of weed. This was in the late 90's, so just before all the "school shooting" hysteria started really ramping up.

The drug dogs were sniffing lockers at dear old Humble High School way back in the early 1970s. The smart dopers smoked their weed on the way to school in the morning.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
LE had a dog at the Trade School I attended back in '99 and 2001. I asked him to find my hall locker as I had been loading tons of ammunition. Its the nitrates and he indeed found my locker. No guns or ammo but my coat from shooting.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Link to the OP's article:

https://www.press-citizen.com/...students/2512811001/

Can dogs detect guns or ammo? I think not, the article implies they smelled drugs and a search led to the guns.

Connecticut State Police are currently training K9s to detect guns.

I would like to know more. With all the products one can use, or not use, to clean firearms, I have to wonder how a dog detects a gun by smell. Exactly what is it they're being trained to hit on? Because for years, I used automotive white lithium grease in my carry guns, and I can't even estimate how many people I've seen saying they use plain automotive motor oil over the years. Dog's gonna smell that through a car? What smell could possibly emanate from all firearms that this is something they can train dogs to search for? I'm sure Pookie down on the corner keeps his Glock fotay slide rails lubed with Slide Glide.

Gunpowder residue, would be my guess.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Link to the OP's article:

https://www.press-citizen.com/...students/2512811001/

Can dogs detect guns or ammo? I think not, the article implies they smelled drugs and a search led to the guns.

Connecticut State Police are currently training K9s to detect guns.

I would like to know more. With all the products one can use, or not use, to clean firearms, I have to wonder how a dog detects a gun by smell. Exactly what is it they're being trained to hit on? Because for years, I used automotive white lithium grease in my carry guns, and I can't even estimate how many people I've seen saying they use plain automotive motor oil over the years. Dog's gonna smell that through a car? What smell could possibly emanate from all firearms that this is something they can train dogs to search for? I'm sure Pookie down on the corner keeps his Glock fotay slide rails lubed with Slide Glide.

Gunpowder residue, would be my guess.

Exactly right- or recently created residue from firing, more accurately. We had a bomb sniffing dog until it passed and one of its expected duties was locating firearms. In fact, his handler had an old Taurus 92 that had been forfeited in a drug case that was converted to training property. A day or two, prior to regular training, the handler would crank off a round at the range to “freshen” it. The dog would locate it easily along with several types of explosive compounds.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So what?
We used to take our guns to school all the time.
We'd go hunting before and after school and if you were on the shooting team you would keep your 22 rifle in your locker. Eek

Yep. Had a gun rack in the back window of my truck when I was in high school.
Shotgun and a 22 rifle hanging from it.
How's that for redneck? Hahahaha

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Parabellem here... even though there is no expectation of privacy in a parking lot, I'd say public or private, I think what is inside one's vehicle should be considered private if you can't see it through the window.

Probably cause is just BS .... what is that? a bumper sticker? heck, guy got arrested here in S.C. a few months back because the bird poop on his car tested positive for cocaine... at least the cop said it did.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
All this "probable cause" stuff just irks me. According to our Constitution, probable cause is used as the basis for a warrant, NOT a search. The search (according to the 4th Amendment) requires a warrant.

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If so, the "irk" should not be directed at law enforcement, but at the Supreme Court.

It is law enforcement's job to enforce the law.

It is the legislators' job to write the law.

It is the courts' job to interpret and apply the law.

The US Supreme Court are the final arbiters of the constitutionality of a matter. And over the years, the Supreme Court has ruled in a number of cases that there are reasonable and constitutionally valid exceptions to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement, and search warrants are not necessarily required in various situations, such as searches at the border, searches incident to arrest, searches involving exigent circumstances, and also searches of vehicles.

The specific motor vehicle exception to the warrant requirement was first decided by the Supreme Court in 1925's Carroll v. United States and further ruled on in a number of later cases. The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that vehicles can be searched based on probable cause, without using that PC to go obtain a search warrant first. (But the same level of justification is needed; probable cause is the standard used for issuing search warrants too.)

If you're interested in learning more, this Wikipedia article has links in the footnotes at the bottom of the webpage to the rulings in 25 or so different Supreme Court cases over the past hundred years involving the constitutionality of warrantless searches of vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...r_vehicle_exception.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
In the Louisiana Gun free School Zone Law. 14:95.2

This lets you have a gun in the vehicle

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
And then they can say the dog "hit" on just about anything they want. What would happen if you protested that the dog was just licking his ass when the handler decided to search your property?

I am sure they can "hit" on command too. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure they can "hit" on command too.

We had a local agency that got caught placing/wiping drugs in cars in public places so that they could train their dog without the knowledge of the owners.

As far as schools go, these searches (to my knowledge) only take place on school property which aren't exactly public places. I graduated in 94, and the druggies knew to park on the street and not in one of the parking lots to avoid this.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If so, the "irk" should not be directed at law enforcement, but at the Supreme Court.

It is law enforcement's job to enforce the law.

It is the legislators' job to write the law.

It is the courts' job to interpret and apply the law.

The US Supreme Court are the final arbiters of the constitutionality of a matter. And over the years, the Supreme Court has ruled in a number of cases that there are reasonable and constitutionally valid exceptions to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement, and search warrants are not necessarily required in various situations, such as searches at the border, searches incident to arrest, searches involving exigent circumstances, and also searches of vehicles.

The specific motor vehicle exception to the warrant requirement was first decided by the Supreme Court in 1925's Carroll v. United States and further ruled on in a number of later cases. The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that vehicles can be searched based on probable cause, without using that PC to go obtain a search warrant first. (But the same level of justification is needed; probable cause is the standard used for issuing search warrants too.)

If you're interested in learning more, this Wikipedia article has links in the footnotes at the bottom of the webpage to the rulings in 25 or so different Supreme Court cases over the past hundred years involving the constitutionality of warrantless searches of vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...r_vehicle_exception.

Actually, that is technically no longer true.
Local and municipal law enforcement nationwide is tasked with Revenue Generation first. Upholding the law comes 2nd.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I remember growing up and some of the Junior & Seniors trucks had guns racks in the window with <GASP> shotguns for bird hunting after school.

And the sight of teens walking down the road with shotguns over their shoulders was common and unremarkable.

Nowadays it would be a SWAT Team callout.
Agreed. First day back at school after Christmas found many of us in the parking lot after school checking out whatever guns everyone got for Christmas. Usually a couple of teachers or school employees wandered by given they were curious what we got. Very different time for sure.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post