SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beagle foster update: we adopted our foster! Meet Radar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beagle foster update: we adopted our foster! Meet Radar Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted
**Update further down the page**

Hi all,

Meet Shiloh.

My family adopted a beagle last summer from Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue after our dachshund passed, and we were extremely impressed by the organization. This summer we decided to volunteer as a transporter to take the beagles to the rescue. This organization rescues beagles from all over the southeast so they are always in need of drivers.

I transported this guy on Saturday morning from Ocala, intending to take him to his foster home in Tampa, but he ended up coming home with us to foster. (We couldn't resist.) There were six other beagles that were surrendered to the rescue the day before, so they needed fosters desperately.

Shiloh goes to the vet tomorrow to get a full exam and to get his fellas removed.

He was picked up in the Atlanta area after being hit by a car. His ear also looks like he was attacked by another animal. He's a little stiff on his back leg, but just as happy as can be. He has no problems walking or running and doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever.

And sweet. Oh my, he's so sweet. Good natured, gentle, friendly, eager to please, playful, and snuggly, gets along well with the other dogs....the perfect dog.

I'm absolutely in love with him.

But we already have 3 dogs- a beagle, chiweenie, and a puggle. I don't know if we should add a fourth. My wife loves the idea of fostering, which is fine during the summer when my wife and I are home full-time, but we can't during the school year because we won't have the time to really get to know the dog. Maybe I can convince her to let us adopt a fourth. All of our dogs are very low maintenance, and Shiloh has fit in like he's been here for years.

Pic of his ear:

I caught him snuggling with our other rescue beagle, Georgia:

And a pic of him with my daughter, the dog whisperer:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maestro,

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Foster? Suuuuurrrrreeeeee. Smile

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I see a foster fail in the near future, don't worry, I have seven, I know the feeling.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Keep a long leash. Beagles can be nomadic wanderers..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are such wonderful dogs...good on 'ya.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Damn, you shouldn't have shown the foster dog that might need adopted people. We live too close to you.

He is a really good looking young guy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cute dog.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Excellent looking man! Thanks to you and your family.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You and your wife are terrific folks.
Your altruism is to be commended.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Foster? Suuuuurrrrreeeeee. Smile

Awesome!!!

We've had our "foster beagle" for just over a week now. Technically we are fostering her, but we will adopt her as soon as she has had all of her shots and gets her chip implanted.

Ruby is now 9 weeks old.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

My family decided that we wanted to adopt this little guy, but we were too late. Someone turned in an application and has first dibs. Unless the person who applied for him doesn't show up to the adoption event tomorrow, we will have to say goodbye to this sweet boy. I will miss him TERRIBLY...he's a terrific dog, and I know he will make his new family happy.

But my heart will be broken. Frown

In other news, we are picking up a new foster tomorrow evening...stay tuned for more puppy pics.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Beagles for the little dogs they are. But as was mentioned, they sure do roam. I used to work a 3rd shift job where I had to take the highway to work. Nearly everynight there was the same beagle trottin on down the road in the same spot. I always wondered where he was going.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
He's adorable. Good on you and the family for taking him in. Looks like he's right at home.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cute pup.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Very sweet looking dog. Thanks for fostering. One of our rescue Beagles just sat down next to me... she wants to go outside. Gotta go. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
good looking pup i hope you get him i adopted a beagle mix last summer but mine is on the zoomy side which is fine he's a fun dog he likes to sit next to me when i am on the computer

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
You and your family are doing good! I've thought of fostering myself from time to time but I know it would result in keeping. Dogs have a real talent when it comes to getting into one's heart.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Awwww unfair... Foster families should always have first dibs. I hope they don't show and you become a foster failure soon! Wink

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
It's great to be a foster parent, my wife and I worked with a lot of poodles from Florida Poodle Rescue in the Tampa Bay area. It's sad at times to see them go but you know they are going to have a great new home.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
One more update.

We adopted our foster today. Meet Radar- he's the foster we took in on 6/30 after our other foster was adopted. He's one of the sweetest, friendliest, and most gorgeous dogs I've ever known. He's part beagle, part hound. We are so happy!!!